A. D. Winans
Allan Davis Winans (born January 12, 1936, in San Francisco, California), known as A. D. Winans, is an American poet, essayist, short story writer and publisher. Born in San Francisco, California, he returned home from Panama in 1958, after serving three years in the military. In 1962, he graduated from San Francisco State College.
He was the founder of Second Coming Press, a small press based in San Francisco that published books, poetry broadsides, a magazine, and anthologies. He edited Second Coming Magazine for seventeen years from 1972 to 1989. Winans became friends with Charles Bukowski, whose work he published. He also published Bukowski's then-girlfriend, Linda King. Other writers he published included Jack Micheline, Bob Kaufman, Lawrence Ferlinghetti, Allen Ginsberg, Philip Levine, Josephine Miles, David Meltzer, Charles Plymell. etc.
In 2002, he published his memoir, Holy Grail: Charles Bukowski & The Second Coming Revolution.
A.D. Winans has had poetry, book reviews, and short stories published in over 2,000 magazines and anthologies. He has written 63 books of poetry, and two books of prose.
A song poem of his was performed at Alice Tully Hall, New York City. In 2006, he was awarded a PEN National Josephine Miles Award for excellence in literature. In 2009 PEN Oakland presented him with a Lifetime Achievement Award. In 2015 he was a recipient of a Kathy Acker Award in poetry and publishing.
His latest book, "San Francisco Poems" published by Little Red Tree Publishing, CT, includes an extended biography with many photographs, plus 99 poems, old and new.
In 2016 he appeared in a documentary movie on the life of poet Bob Kaufman. The movie was premiered in April 2016 at the San Francisco International Movie Festival.
- Katz, William A. (1994). The Columbia Granger's Guide to Poetry Anthologies. Columbia University Press. p. 29. ISBN 9780231101042. Retrieved October 4, 2014.
- A. D. Winans books with erbacce-press
- A. D. Winans web site
- A. D. Winans autobiography
- Short biography of Winans
- Litseen, A.D. Winans: second coming
- Jacket Magazine #26 (October 2004). Review of A.D. Winan's Holy Grail: Charles Bukowski & The Second Coming Revolution by Jim Feast
- "San Francisco Poems" by A. D. Winans.
- http:// www.winansfansite.com