|Member of the Virginia Senate
from the 9th district
January 9, 2008
|Preceded by||Benjamin Lambert|
|Member of the Virginia House of Delegates
from the 74th district
January 11, 2006 – January 9, 2008
|Preceded by||Floyd H. Miles|
|Succeeded by||Joseph D. Morrissey|
January 10, 1996 – January 9, 2002
|Preceded by||Robert B. Ball|
|Succeeded by||Floyd H. Miles|
|Born||Aston Donald McEachin
October 10, 1961
Nuremberg, West Germany
|Residence||Henrico County, Virginia|
|Alma mater||American University
University of Virginia School of Law
Virginia Union University
|Committees||Agriculture, Conservation and Natural Resources
Courts of Justice
Privileges and Elections
Aston Donald McEachin (born October 10, 1961) is an American politician and lawyer. A Democrat, he served in the Virginia House of Delegates 1996–2002 and 2006–2008. Since January 2008, he has served in the Senate of Virginia, representing the 9th district, made up of Charles City County, plus parts of Henrico County and the city of Richmond.[update]
Early life, education, business career
McEachin was born in Nuremberg, Germany. He attended St. Christopher's School in Richmond. In 1982, he received a B.S. degree in political history from The American University. After that, he attended the University of Virginia School of Law, where he received a J.D. in 1986. He also received a Master of Divinity (M.Div.) from Virginia Union University in 2008.
He began to practice law in Richmond after completing law school, eventually becoming a partner in his own firm, McEachin and Gee.
On August 25, 2015, Senator McEachin's name was found on the list of users of the Ashley Madison website. McEachin's response to the revelation was "At this time, this is a personal issue between my family and me. I will have no further statement on this issue.”
McEachin was first elected to the House of Delegates from the 74th district in 1995. After three terms there, he ran for Attorney General of Virginia in 2001. He won a four-way Democratic primary with 33.6% of the vote, but lost the general election to Republican Jerry W. Kilgore by 20 percentage points.
In 2007, McEachin ran for the state Senate, challenging 9th District incumbent Benjamin Lambert, who drew criticism within the Democratic Party for his endorsement of Republican United States Senator George Allen in Allen's unsuccessful 2006 reelection campaign against Jim Webb. After defeating Lambert 58%-42% in the primary, McEachin won 81% of the vote against independent Silver Persinger in the general election.
He was unopposed for reelection in 2011.
- "Senator A. Donald McEachin; Democrat-District 9". Senate of Virginia. Retrieved 2012-11-16.
- "Virginia House of Delegates; Session 2007; McEachin, A. Donald (Donald)". Virginia House of Delegates. Retrieved 2012-11-16.
- "Donald McEachin". Retrieved 2012-11-16.
- "Legislators' names appear in hacked Ashley Madison data". Retrieved 2015-08-27.
- "McEachin on link to Ashley Madison: 'This is a personal issue'". WTVR.com. Retrieved 2015-08-27.
- "Commonwealth of Virginia; June 12, 2001 - Primary Election". Virginia State Board of Elections. Retrieved 2009-01-25.
- "Virginia Election Results". Washington Post. 2001-11-06.
- "Commonwealth of Virginia; June 14, 2005 - Primary Election". Virginia State Board of Elections. Retrieved 2012-11-16.
- "Commonwealth of Virginia; November 8, 2005 - General Election". Virginia State Board of Elections. Retrieved 2012-11-16.
- "Allen endorsement dogs Lambert's re-election bid". The Washington Times. 2007-06-09. Retrieved 2009-01-25.
- "2007 June Democratic Primary Official Results". Virginia State Board of Elections. Retrieved 2009-01-25.
- "November 6, 2007 General Election Official Results". Virginia State Board of Elections. Retrieved 2012-11-16.
- "November 2011 General Election Official Results". Virginia State Board of Elections. Retrieved 2012-11-16.
- "Donald McEachin". (Blog website)
- "Don McEachin". Virginia Public Access Project.
- "Senator Don McEachin (D-Richmond)". Richmond Sunlight.
- Project Vote Smart - Representative Aston Donald McEachin (VA) profile
- Follow the Money - A. Donald McEachin
- Washington Post - Senate District 9 Race