A. F. Blakemore
|Industry||Retail, wholesale and distribution|
Willenhall, West Midlands,
Number of locations
|Products||Distribution, wholesale and retail of food and associated products|
Number of employees
A.F. Blakemore & Son Ltd is a food retail, wholesale and distribution company, established in 1917. A.F. Blakemore & Son Ltd is the largest SPAR distribution centre in the UK. The company's headquarters are in Willenhall, West Midlands, United Kingdom.
A.F. Blakemore & Son Ltd is divided into several subsidiaries with different emphases and goals:
- Blakemore Retail, which owns and operates circa 280 SPAR stores
- Blakemore Trade Partners, which is a trading, marketing and sales support function for the 1,000+ SPAR stores across SPAR UK's Meridian & Welsh Guild
- Blakemore Logistics, which supplies stores across SPAR UK's Meridian & Welsh Guild and supports the wider A.F. Blakemore group
- Blakemore Wholesale Distribution, which provides retailers, vending operators and wholesalers with bespoke distribution solutions (divested in 2018)
- Blakemore Foodservice, which delivers catering products to schools, local authorities, public houses and restaurant chains nationwide
- Blakemore Fresh Foods, which is a meat trading, wholesaling and manufacturing operation that supplies the retail, food service and wholesale sectors
- Blakemore Fine Foods, which is a purveyor of speciality and fine food products from the UK and the rest of the world
- Blakemore Design and Shopfitting, which specialises in the design and refurbishment of SPAR retail stores
- Blakemore Property, which deals with company site acquisitions and leasings
A.F. Blakemore & Son Ltd was started in 1917 as a counter service grocery store by Arthur Blakemore and his wife. After early success, they branched into supplying other groceries, at first bags and other provisions, later with products for resale.
Arthur Blakemore was followed by his son, Frank, who in turn was followed by his son, Peter Blakemore. The company is still owned by the family as of 2018.
A.F. Blakemore & Son Ltd was one of the first companies involved in symbol group trading in the 1950s.
- Penfold, Simon. "AF Blakemore & Son 'not for sale' says company". Express and Star. Retrieved 21 August 2018.
- Briggs, Fiona (19 February 2018). "AF Blakemore spreads the word on responsible business". Retail Times. Retrieved 21 August 2018.
- "Blakemore's 100th birthday party raises £82,000 for charities". Talking Retail. 3 October 2017. Retrieved 21 August 2018.
- "New look highlights AF Blakemore's logistics efficiency plan - Logistics Manager Magazine". Logistics Manager Magazine. 12 June 2017. Retrieved 21 August 2018.
- Penfold, Simon (4 April 2018). "Willenhall-based Blakemore to sell off all 12 of its cash & carry stores". Express and Star. Retrieved 21 August 2018.
- "Blakemore cash and carry closes with loss of 26 jobs". Grimsby Telegraph. 20 July 2018. ISSN 0307-1235. Retrieved 21 August 2018.
- Bright, Emily (15 June 2018). "Parfetts purchases AF Blakemore's Middlesbrough depot". The Grocer. Retrieved 21 August 2018.
- Strachan, Ian (25 January 2018). "Rich List 2018: No.49= - Peter Blakemore and family". Birmingham Post. Retrieved 21 August 2018.