A. G. Noorani
A. G. Noorani
|Born||16 September 1930|
Bombay (now Mumbai), British India
|Alma mater||Government Law College, Mumbai|
|Profession||lawyer, constitutional expert and political commentator|
Abdul Ghafoor Abdul Majeed Noorani, known popularly as A. G. Noorani, (born 16 September 1930) is an Indian lawyer, constitutional expert and political commentator. He has practised as an advocate in the Supreme Court of India and in the Bombay High Court.
Early life and education
His columns have appeared in various publications, including Hindustan Times, The Hindu, Dawn, The Statesman, Frontline, Economic and Political Weekly and Dainik Bhaskar. He is the author of a number of books including: The Kashmir Question, Badruddin Tyabji Ministers' Misconduct, Brezhnev's Plan for Asian Security, The Presidential System, The Trial of Bhagat Singh, Constitutional Questions in India and The RSS and the BJP: A Division of Labour (LeftWord Books, 2000). He has also authored the biographies of Badruddin Tyabji and Dr Zakir Hussain.
Noorani considers himself a "secular Muslim". He has defended Sheikh Abdullah of Kashmir during his long period of detention. He appeared in the Bombay High Court for former Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Karunanidhi against the latter's main political rival J. Jayalalitha.
This article lacks ISBNs for the books listed in it. (October 2014)
- The Destruction of Hyderabad (2014), ISBN 9781849044394
- The Kashmir Dispute 1947-2012, 2 Volume set (editor, 2013), ISBN 9789382381198, ISBN 9789382381204
- Islam, South Asia and the Cold War (2012)
- Article 370: A Constitutional History of Jammu and Kashmir (2011)
- Jinnah and Tilak: Comrades in the Freedom Struggle (2010)
- India–China Boundary Problem 1846–1947: History and Diplomacy (2010), ISBN 9780198070689
- The RSS and the BJP:A Division of Labour(2008), ISBN 9788187496137
- Indian Political Trials 1775–1947 (2006), ISBN 9780195687767
- Constitutional Questions and Citizens’ Rights (2006)
- The Trial of Bhagat Singh: Politics of Justice (2005), ISBN 9780195678178
- The Muslims of India: A Documentary Record (editor, 2003)
- Islam and Jihad: Prejudice versus Reality (2002) ISBN 9781842772713
- The Babri Masjid Question 1528–2003: ‘A Matter of National Honour’, in two volumes (2003).
- Constitutional Questions in India: The President, Parliament and the States (2002), ISBN 9780195658774
- Savarkar and Hindutva (2002), ISBN 9788187496830
The Kashmir Dispute 1947-2012
In a scholarly review of The Kashmir Dispute 1947-2012, Tooba Khurshid from the Institute of Strategic Studies Islamabad notes that the "eminent lawyer, historian and political expert" has endeavored to give an "accurate account" of the Kashmir dispute. Khurshid points out that the book is a collection of documents, both archival and contemporary, as well as speeches and interviews and notes that Noorani has supported his arguments with reference to a large array of documents to provide the historical context of the political dispute. Khurshid highly recommends the book for researchers and also praises it for its reference to a large number of archived documents. Khurshid classifies the book as "solid, scholarly research" and recommends it also to policy makers because of its considerable use of classified documents.
- Author Profile. Oxford University Press. 2014-04-03. ISBN 9780199400188. Retrieved 10 June 2017.
- "Interview". Retro Cities. Retrieved 15 January 2013.
- Noorani, A. G. "Author Profile". Economic and Political Weekly. Retrieved 15 January 2013.
- "The Destruction of Hyderabad". Retrieved 2014-09-17.
- "The Kashmir Dispute 1947-2012, Vol. 1". Retrieved 2014-09-17.
- "Islam and Jihad". Retrieved 2014-09-17.
- "Savarkar and Hindutva". Retrieved 2014-09-17.
- Tooba Khurshid, Institute of Strategic Studies Islamabad, retrieved 20 April 2018.
- Khurshid, Tooba (2014). "The Kashmir Dispute: 1947-2012 - Book Review". Strategic Studies. 34 (1): 121–124.