A. H. Stephens Historic Park
A. H. Stephens Memorial State Park
Alexander Stephens Memorial
|Nearest city||Crawfordville, Georgia|
|Area||1,200 acres (490 ha)|
|Architectural style||Colonial Revival, Rustic Style|
|NRHP Reference #||95000764|
|Added to NRHP||June 22, 1995|
A.H. Stephens Historic Park is a 1,177 acres (476 ha) Georgia state park located in Crawfordville. The park is named for Alexander Hamilton Stephens, the Vice President of the Confederate States of America, and a former Georgia governor. The park contains Stephens' home, Liberty Hall, which has been fully restored to its original 1875 style. The park's museum houses one of Georgia's largest collections of Civil War artifacts. The park also offers several mill ponds for fishing and nature trails. Bedrock is a complex of granitic gneiss and granite on which deep soils of the Cataula and Cecil series have developed.
The park is listed on the National Register of Historic Places as A. H. Stephens Memorial State Park. It includes four contributing sites, twelve contributing structures, and one other contributing object. It includes Colonial Revival and Rustic Style architecture.
The Liberty Hall, also known as Bachelor's Hall, built in 1834, is one of the structures on the site, and is separately listed on the NRHP. It is currently a National Historic Landmark maintained by the Georgia Department of Natural Resources. A.H. Stephens bought the estate in 1845, and lived in its house until 1875, when he tore down the main structure to build Liberty Hall. The two-story "big house" is a traditional 4 × 4 with four rooms on each level.
Many of Stephens' books are housed in a smaller structure behind, where he spent much of his time after the war. After Stephens's death in 1883, Liberty Hall, owned by his surviving relatives, served as a boardinghouse until 1932, when it was donated to the state of Georgia. The vice president's grave is on the front lawn, beneath a marble statue in his honor.
- 25 Tent/Trailer/RV Sites
- 4 Cottages
- Group Camp
- Pioneer Camping
- 3 Picnic Shelters
- Group Shelter
- Junior/Senior Fishing Rodeos (June)
- Christmas on Lake Liberty (December)
- Victorian Christmas Program (December)
- Staff (2009-03-13). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- http://ngmdb.usgs.gov/ngm-bin/pdp/zui_viewer.pl?id=7351 Geologic map of Georgia: Environmental Protection Division, Georgia Department of Natural Resources, 1976
- "SoilWeb: An Online Soil Survey Browser - California Soil Resource Lab". Retrieved July 2, 2016.
- Staff (2008-04-15). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.