A. J. Trapasso
February 6, 1986|
|Height:||5 ft 11 in (1.80 m)|
|Weight:||225 lb (102 kg)|
|* Offseason and/or practice squad member only|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics|
Albert Joseph "A. J." Trapasso (born February 6, 1986) is a former American football punter. He was signed by the Tennessee Titans as an undrafted free agent in 2009. He played college football at Ohio State.
Trapasso played college football at Ohio State. He was recruited from Pickerington High School Central after graduating in 2004. In 2006, Trapasso was awarded the Mosi Tatupu Award for best Special Teams Player in 2006. He finished his college career totaling 203 punt attempts for 8,317 yards in 51 games, 27 kickoffs with 10 touchbacks.
In his first professional appearance during the Hall of Fame Game on August 9, 2009, Trapasso ran a fake punt 40 yards for a touchdown against the Buffalo Bills. Later in the same game, he purposely ran backwards into the endzone resulting in a safety, running the clock out to win the game.
On August 21, 2009, during the third quarter of a preseason game with the Dallas Cowboys at Cowboys Stadium (the first Cowboys game in the new facility), Trapasso punted a ball that struck the bottom portion of the high definition "jumbotron" scoreboard. (He had also struck the jumbotron multiple times during pregame warmups). Officials ruled a replay of the down, but Trapasso's punt created an issue of first impression with future kicks and whether raising the scoreboard would be cost prohibitive. The NFL defined a re-kick rule after Trapasso’s punt, but it was never enforced until a pre-season game on August 24, 2013, when Chris Jones hit the digital board again.
Trapasso was waived by the Titans during final cuts on September 4.
New York Jets
Trapasso was claimed off waivers by the New York Jets on September 6, 2009, replacing Reggie Hodges as the only punter on the roster. However, the team waived Trapasso just one day later and signed punter Steve Weatherford.
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Tennessee Titans (second stint)
- "Video: Titans Punter A.J. Trapasso Scores Touchdown on Fake Punt". Larry Brown Sports. 2009-08-10. Retrieved 2012-12-11.
- Paul Kuharsky; Matt Mosley (2009-08-22). "Punter kicks into HD screen over field". ESPN. Retrieved 2012-12-11.
- Hutchinson, Dave (2009-09-06). "NY Jets claim punter A.J. Trapasso, tight end Matthew Mulligan, fullback Jason Davis off waivers". The Star-Ledger. Retrieved 2012-12-11.
- Hutchinson, Dave (2009-09-07). "NY Jets sign punter Steve Weatherford; release punter A.J. Trapasso". The Star-Ledger. Retrieved 2012-12-11.
- "Tampa Bay Buccaneers sign P A.J. Trapasso to practice squad". Tampa Bay Times. 2009-09-10. Retrieved 2012-12-11.
- "Broncos cut punter Trapasso, leaving only Colquitt on the roster". The Denver Post. 2010-06-15. Retrieved 2012-12-11.