A. S. M. Shahjahan
A. S. M. Shahjahan
এ. এস. এম. শাহজাহান
|Adviser of Ministry of Education, Science and ICT in Caretaker government of Bangladesh|
15 July 2001 – 10 October 2001
|Prime Minister||Latifur Rahman|
|Secretary of Ministry of Youth and Sports|
|Prime Minister||Sheikh Hasina|
|Inspector General of Bangladesh Police|
8 July 1992 – 22 April 1996
|President||Abdur Rahman Biswas|
|Prime Minister||Khaleda Zia|
|Preceded by||M. Enamul Haque|
|Succeeded by||M. Azizul Haque|
Noakhali, Bengal Presidency, British India
|Died||6 February 2019 (aged 77–78)|
A. S. M. Shahjahan (1941 – 6 February 2019) was the 15th Inspector General of Police of Bangladesh Police. He served as an Adviser in the 2001 non-partisan interim Caretaker government of Bangladesh.
Early life and education
Shahjahan was the 1st Deputy Commissioner of Dhaka Metropolitan Police (DMP) on 1 February 1976. He was CID chief twice. He was police commissioner of Dhaka Metropolitan Police from 2 January 1991 to 16 October 1991. On 8 July 1992, he became the 15th Inspector General of Police (IGP).
Shahjahan was a senior adviser for Police Reform Program of United Nations Development Programme. It was taken to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the Bangladesh Police in joint partnership with UNDP, Department for International Development (DFID) and the European Commission.
2001 Non-party interim Caretaker Government
Shahjahan was sworn-in as Adviser which is equivalent to a Cabinet Minister of the non-party Caretaker government in 15 July 2001 by the President of Bangladesh Shahabuddin Ahmed. He was given the Ministry of Education, Science and ICT.
Shahjahan regularly wrote columns in Daily newspapers in both Bangla, and English languages.
This section may contain an excessive amount of intricate detail that may interest only a particular audience.April 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)(
- President of Bangladesh Paribesh Andolon (Bapa).
- Former Vice-Chancellor, University of Asia Pacific
- Members of Transparency International Bangladesh.
- Chairman of Development Organization of the Rural Poor
- Member of governing body, Uttara Adhunik Medical College.
- He was the convocation speaker of the 11th Convocation of the American International University – Bangladesh (AIUB) held in 30 January 2011.
- He was guest of honour at findings Dissemination Session of the Public Attitude Follow-up Survey organised by the Police Reform Program on 21 August 2009.
- He addressed the closing ceremony of a three-day training on Effective Media Relations organised by the PRP at BRAC Inn Centre on 20 July 2008.
- He also addressed the inaugural function of a two-day orientation for the police officers on Gender Sensitivity: Key To Prevent Violence Against Women in Dhaka on 12 September 2007.
- He was the keynote speaker at a seminar on Necessity of reform of police act for national development, organised by Bangladesh Unnayan Parishad (BUP) at Bangladesh Economic Association office in Dhaka on 8 March 2008.
- He was the Chief Adviser of Organization for Social Development of Unemployed Youth, a human welfare, employment oriented and non-profitable NGO.
- He was chief guest at the seminar on National Youth Policy: a way to Employment held on 5 October 2003 at BIAM organised by Youth Employment Summit.
- "Programme of Meetings And Agenda". United Nations. 11 August 1998. Archived from the original on 14 October 2007. Retrieved 3 December 2014.
- "Ex-IGP ASM Shahjahan dies". The Daily Star. 7 February 2019. Retrieved 6 February 2019.
- "Ex-caretaker govt adviser ASM Shahjahan passes away". Daily Sun. Retrieved 6 February 2019.
- "Metropolitan Police". Bangladesh Police. Retrieved 3 December 2014.
- Manik, Julfikar Ali; Islam, Shariful (21 August 2009). "Mysteries pile on country". The Daily Star. Dhaka. Retrieved 3 December 2014.
- "Former Commissioners". Dhaka Metropolitan Police. Retrieved 3 December 2014.
- "Gender Guidelines for Police stations launched". Police Reform Programme. 20 November 2007. Archived from the original on 12 October 2014. Retrieved 3 December 2014.
- "Women sensitive policing needed for ensuring women's rights". Police Reform Programme. 18 April 2007. Archived from the original on 12 October 2014. Retrieved 3 December 2014.
- "Activities of BAPA". Retrieved 3 December 2014.
- "Greens urge all to save environment". The Daily Star. Dhaka. 9 January 2014. Retrieved 3 December 2014.
- "UAP Students Awarded IEB Membership". Retrieved 3 December 2014.
- "Members of TIB". 7 September 2014. Retrieved 3 December 2014.
- "DORP Advisory Committee". Retrieved 3 December 2014.
- "Governing Body of UAMC". Retrieved 3 December 2014.
- "11th Convocation of AIUB". 31 January 2011. Retrieved 3 December 2014.
- "Public Attitude Follow-up Survey: police are friendly and more efficient in service delivery". Police Reform Programme. 21 August 2009. Archived from the original on 12 October 2014. Retrieved 3 December 2014.
- "Media Relations Training for Police Officers under Police Reform Programme held". Police Reform Programme. 20 July 2008. Archived from the original on 12 October 2014. Retrieved 3 December 2014.
- "Police Needs To Be More Gender-Sensitive in Police Stations: Former IGP A.S.M Shahjahan". Police Reform Programme. 12 September 2007. Archived from the original on 12 October 2014. Retrieved 3 December 2014.
- "Promulgate police ordn to remove cop-people gap". The Daily Star (Bangladesh). Dhaka. 3 August 2008. Retrieved 3 December 2014.
- "IEC Programme". Retrieved 3 December 2014.
- "Seminar Held on National Youth Policy" (Press release). 6 October 2003. Retrieved 3 December 2014.