A. S. Rao
|Ayyagari Sambasiva Rao|
|Born||20 September 1914
Mogallu, West Godavari district
|Died||31 October 2003
|Alma mater||Banaras Hindu University|
|Awards||Padma Bhushan Award|
Early life and education
Rao was born in a poor peasant’s family to Venkatachalam and Sundaramma on 20 September 1914 at Mogallu village of the fertile and picturesque West Godavari district of Andhra Pradesh. After schooling in his native state, he moved to Banaras Hindu University where he took his Master of Science degree in Physics in 1939, with high academic honours. For the next six years he taught and conducted research in that University. In 1946, Rao was selected for the prestigious Tata scholarship on which he went to take his master's degree in electrical engineering from Standford University. On his return from the US, Rao joined Tata Institute of Fundamental Research as a Reader in Experimental Physics and thus began his association with Dr Homi J. Bhabha in the development of India's science and technology. In the early days of his career, Rao worked on high altitude cosmic ray research. Very soon he localised his area of specialist interest in Electronic Instrumentation and it was possible for Bhabha to leave this dimension of developmental effort in the capable hands of Rao. He was the director of radiation health protection and electronics groups at Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (Barc) and later played a key role in setting up ECIL in the city of Hyderabad in 1967 when the Dept of Atomic Energy (DAE) decided to go commercial in its electronics research.
Awards and honours
Rao represented India at many international conferences on scientific development including UN conferences on peaceful uses of atomic energy. He also served on the editorial and advisory boards of many scientific journals including many international journals of repute.
Recognition of his services to the nation has brought Rao many awards and honours:
- Padma Shri Award in 1960,
- Shanti Swaroop Bhatnagar Award for Engineering Sciences in 1965,
- Doctor of Science degree, honoris causa, from Andhra University in 1969,
- Padma Bhushan in 1972,
- Fellow of Indian Academy of Sciences in 1974,
- FICCI Award for outstanding achievement in Engineering in 1976, *National design Award from Institution of Engineers (India) in 1977,
- Outstanding Scientist Award from A.P. Academy of Science in 1988, Prof.
- Nayudamma Memorial Gold Medal in 1989.
- A.S.Rao Nagar (near ECIL) in Secunderabad was named in his honour
- Postal stamp was released on 16 November 2014 on the occasion of his birth centenary.
A.S.Rao Nagar, also known as Dr. A. S. Rao Nagar, is a major suburb of Hyderabad named after Ayyagari Sambasiva Rao. A book titled 'The man with a vision' was written on Dr.A.S.Rao by D. Mohana Rao.
- History of Electronics Corporation of India Ltd
- Dr A. S. Rao (1914-2003)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 25 December 2014. Retrieved 2014-12-25.
- "Padma Awards" (PDF). Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India. 2015. Retrieved 21 July 2015.