A. Sivathanu Pillai
|A Sivathanu Pillai|
|Born||15 July 1947|
|Alma mater||University of Madras (B.E.)
University of Pune (PhD)
|Known for||Known as Father of Brahmos Aerospace|
|Notable awards||Padma Shri
Order of Friendship
A Sivathanu Pillai is the chief controller of the Research and Development and also holds the rank of "Distinguished Scientist" at the Defence Research and Development Organisation at the Ministry of Defence of the Republic of India. He is also the founder-CEO and Managing Director of the BrahMos Aerospace Private Limited. He also currently serves as Chairperson of the Board of Governors of the National Institute of Technology, Kurukshetra.
He previously served as Vice President of International Project Management Association and as Special Secretary representing India in the India-Russia Inter-Governmental Commission on Military-Technical Cooperation.
Early life and education
Sivathanu Pillai was born on 15 July 1947. He has completed his schooling at D.V.D. Higher Secondary School, Nagercoil. He earned his Bachelors in Electrical Engineering from University of Madras in 1969. He then completed the Advanced Management Program at Harvard Business School (Class of 1991). He then earned PhD in Technology Management from University of Pune in 1996.
Expansion of Brahmos Aerospace
In 2007, under his leadership as CEO of Brahmos Aerospace, the company bought Kerala Hitech Industries Limited. It has been then converted into Brahmos Aerospace Trivandrum Limited, the second missile making unit of BrahMos Aerospace Private Limited for a world-class missile facility with system integration and testing.
Awards and honours
|Year of Award or Honor||Name of Award or Honor||Awarding Organization|
|2014||Order of Friendship||President of Russia.|
|2013||Padma Bhushan||President of India.|
|2009||DRDO Technology Leadership Award||Prime Minister of India.|
|2009||Level A certification of Project Directorship||The International Project Management Association (IPMA), Switzerland.|
|2008||Honorary Doctorate||Thapar University, India.|
|2007||Honorary Doctorate||Avinashilingam University, India.|
|2006||Honorary Doctorate||Bharathiar University, India.|
|2006||Honorary Doctorate||State Marine Technical University of St. Petersburg, Russia.|
|2006||Honorary Doctorate||Andhra University, India.|
|2006||Raja Rammohan Puraskar Award||Ministry of Defence.|
|2005||DRDO Performance Excellence Award||Ministry of Defence.|
|2005||Honorary Doctorate||Sathyabama University, India.|
|2005||Honorary Doctorate||Tamil Nadu Dr. MGR Medical University, India.|
|2003||The Order of the Peter the Great and the Academician of the University||The Moscow University of Security, Defence and Law Enforcement, Russia.|
|2003||Award for dedicated service, co-operation, development and peace||OISCA International, Japan.|
|2002||Padma Shri||President of India.|
|2001||Dr. Davidson Frame Award||University of Technology & Management, USA.|
|1988||DRDO Scientist of the year||Ministry of Defence.|
Books, Research Papers and Journals
Sivathanu Pillai is a published author of several books, research papers and journals. A complete list of papers, books and journals is included below to which he is the author.
- Envisioning an empowered nation: technology for societal transformation (Publisher: Tata McGraw-Hill Pub. Co., 2004; ISBN 978-0-07-053154-3).
- Technology Leadership – A Revolution in the Making: defining the future visionary leaders (ISBN 9780070583283).
- Nanoscience and Nanotechnology in Engineering: (Publisher: World Scientific, 2010; ISBN 978-981-4277-92-1).
- Ocean Warfare: The Technology Waves (Publisher: Manas Publications, 2006; ISBN 978-81-7049-239-9).
- Revolution In Leadership – Building Technology Competence (ISBN 9788182745520).
- Nanotechnology Engineering in Nano- and Bio-Medicine: Devices and Applications (ISBN 9780470758632)
- "NITT’s four-day fest gets underway". 24 February 2012. Retrieved 24 February 2012.
- "President Kalam gets museum in his honour". July 7, 2007. Retrieved 14 June 2012.
- "Profile, DRDO India: Sivathanu Pillai". DRDO, Ministry of Defence of Government of India. 4 June 2011. Retrieved 4 June 2011.
- "Profile, Brahmos India: Sivathanu Pillai". BrahMos Aerospace Private Limited. 4 June 2011. Archived from the original on 8 July 2011. Retrieved 4 June 2011.
- "Dr. A. Sivathanu Pillai, Chairperson Board of Governors". National Institute of Technology, Kurukshetra. 17 September 2013. Retrieved 17 September 2013.
- "The Executive Board members of the International Project Management Association - Remits for year 2011 and 2012". International Project Management Association. 31 July 2011. Retrieved 4 June 2011.
- "Sivathanu Pillai conferred Padma Shri". DRDO, Ministry of Defence of Government of India. May 2002. Retrieved 30 June 2011.
- "DRDO disowns chief controller, says he is retired". The Sunday Guardian. November 17, 2012. Retrieved September 17, 2013.
- "A Sivathanu Pillai: Extension as DRDO chief tenure extended". The Indian Express. 31 July 2007. Retrieved 4 June 2011.
- "Fight to retain India’s leading missile scientist". Daily News and Analysis (India). 31 July 2007. Retrieved 4 June 2011.
- "Missile man of India Sivathanu Pillai describes BrahMos plans". The Hindu. 31 December 2007. Retrieved 28 February 2012.
- "BrahMos takes over KELTEC". The Hindu. 6 December 2007. Retrieved 28 February 2012.
- "Official CV and full Profile: Sivathanu Pillai". Brahmos Aerospace, India. 4 June 2011. Retrieved 4 June 2011.
- "Sivathanu Pillai receives the Technology Leadership Award for year 2009 on May 26, 2010 from Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh for his outstanding leadership in design, development, production and marketing of the BrahMos missile". DRDO, Ministry of Defence of Government of India. 26 May 2010. Retrieved 25 June 2011.
- "Russia honours BrahMos chief with 'Order of Friendship' award". Business Standard. February 26, 2014. Retrieved 3 March 2014.
- Sieff, Martin (2009). Shifting superpowers: the new and emerging relationship between the United States, China, and India. Cato Institute. ISBN 978-1-935308-21-8.
- Frankel, Francine R. (1995). Bridging the nonproliferation divide: the United States and India. University Press of America. ISBN 978-0-8191-9943-0.
- Kalam, A P J Abdul (2010). Ignited Minds : Unleashing the Power within India. Pearson Education India. ISBN 978-81-317-2960-1.
- "Padma Shri conferred on three DRDO scientists". Defence Research and Development Organisation, India. Archived from the original on 14 January 2012.
- Humans will soon inhabit other planets: Sivathanu Pillai
- Hypersonic missiles to replace ballistic missiles
- India should have its own computer operating system: Pillai
- Nanotechnology will change lives: Sivathanu Pillai
- Padma awardees of 2013