A. Wallace Tashima
|Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit|
January 4, 1996 – June 30, 2004
|Appointed by||Bill Clinton|
|Preceded by||Arthur Alarcon|
|Succeeded by||Milan Smith|
|Judge of the United States District Court for the Central District of California|
June 30, 1980 – January 4, 1996
|Appointed by||Jimmy Carter|
|Preceded by||Warren Ferguson|
|Succeeded by||Dean Pregerson|
June 24, 1934 |
Santa Maria, California, U.S.
|Alma mater||University of California, Los Angeles
Tashima was born in 1934 in Santa Maria, California, to Yasutaro and Aya Tashima. He is Nisei Japanese American. During World War II he was interned at the Poston War Relocation Center in Arizona, an internment camp for Japanese Americans. After the war his family moved to Southern California. He lived in Boyle Heights, graduating from Roosevelt High School in East Los Angeles. From 1953 to 1956, Tashima served in the United States Marine Corps, and was honorably discharged with the rank of sergeant. He received a B.A. from the University of California, Los Angeles in 1958, and an LL.B. from the Harvard Law School in 1961.
Upon graduation from law school, from 1962 to 1968, Tashima became the Deputy State Attorney General for the State of California. He then joined the Amstar Corporation as an attorney in its Spreckels Sugar Division (1968–1972) and then as the general attorney and vice president of Amstar from 1972 to 1977. Tashima returned to private practice in 1977, as a partner at Morrison & Foerster, in Los Angeles.
In 1980, President Jimmy Carter nominated Tashima to a seat on the United States District Court for the Central District of California. Tashima served for fifteen years on the district court before he was elevated by President Bill Clinton to the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit in 1996. Tashima assumed senior status on June 30, 2004.
- Trial Jurist of the Year, Los Angeles County Bar Association (1995–96)
- Judicial Conference of the United States. Bicentennial Committee (1978). Judges of the United States. The Committee : for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. Govt. Print. Off. Retrieved 2015-07-03.
- "JA jurists profiled by JACL, Downtown LA Chapter". downtown-los-angeles-jacl.org. Retrieved 2015-07-03.
- Conference review by Greg Robinson on IsThatLegal.org - 11/9/04
- Tashima resume Archived August 28, 2008, at the Wayback Machine. on ISDLS website
- A. Wallace Tashima profile on metnews.com
- A. Wallace Tashima at the Biographical Directory of Federal Judges, a public domain publication of the Federal Judicial Center.
|Judge of the United States District Court for the Central District of California
|Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit