A. Y. Jackson Secondary School (Toronto)
||This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (January 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|A. Y. Jackson Secondary School|
|50 Francine Drive
Toronto, Ontario, M2H 2G6
|School type||High school|
|School board||Toronto District School Board|
|Area trustee||Alexander Brown|
|Colour(s)||Black and Orange|
|Team name||Jackson Jaguars|
Highland Middle SchoolZion Heights Middle School
A. Y. Jackson Secondary School is a secondary school for grades 9 to 12 located in North York, the northern district of Toronto, Ontario, Canada. It is located in the North York community of Metropolitan Toronto. It was opened in 1970 by the North York Board of Education, and is now operated by its successor, the Toronto District School Board. A favourite of David Fleischer , the school was designed by Toronto architect Raymond Moriyama and named after A. Y. Jackson, a Canadian painter and one of the founders of the Group of Seven.
A.Y. Jackson was opened in 1970 under the North York Board of Education, as a 10 to 12 school. However, as part of the 1998 amalgamation of North York into the City of Toronto, the Toronto District School Board now operates A.Y. Jackson. In 2016, as part of a TDSB board decision, the school underwent more changes, with the school now supporting grade nine students and the Gifted program.
The school offers three Specialist High Skills Majors (SHSM) in the fields of Biotechnology, Business, and Non-Profit.
On province wide literacy tests, A. Y. Jackson students' pass rate is 93 percent. The school also has a fantastic record of success in national and international competitions in mathematics, the sciences, computer studies and business education.
Currently, A.Y. Jackson has the following sports teams:
- Cross Country
- Flag Football
- Floor Hockey
- Ultimate Frisbee
Currently, A.Y. Jackson has 48 different clubs, councils and ensembles, including 20 related to the arts, and 10 related to the STEM fields.
The student population of A.Y Jackson is very diverse, with a large component of students living in Canada for five years or less (about 25%), and around 80% of the population speaking a primary language other than English. There are 461 females and 555 males in the school, making A.Y. Jackson's total student population 1016.
- Howie Beck, singer/songwriter
- Gerald Eaton, Rhythm and blues singer
- Rebecca Eckler, journalist and author
- Adam Graves, former NHL hockey player
- Henry Lau, singer, dancer, and a member of Super Junior-M
- Orville Lee, retired CFL running back.
- Alex Lifeson, guitarist for the rock group Rush
- Suhana Meharchand, broadcaster
- Sorel Mizzi, professional poker player
- Daniel Negreanu, professional poker player
- Merrill Nisker (better known as Peaches), electronica musician
- Monita Rajpal, CNN International news anchor
- David Zimmer, MPP for Willowdale
- 2007 Euclid Contest Results
- 2006 Euclid Contest Results
- A.Y. Jackson Secondary School Brochure
- Curtis, Linda (December 4, 2015). "AY Cluster JHS Board Decision Parent Letter" (PDF). tdsb.on.ca. Toronto District School Board. Retrieved December 8, 2016.
- Ontario Secondary School Literacy Test Results
- "CLUBS / COUNCILS / ACTIVITIES 2016-2017" (PDF). schoolweb.tdsb.on.ca. Toronto DSB. Retrieved December 10, 2016.
- Board, Toronto District School. "Toronto District School Board > Find your... > Schools > Facts and Figures". www.tdsb.on.ca. Retrieved 2016-12-11.
- "Henry Lau goes from Willowdale to K-Pop superstar | Toronto Star". thestar.com. Retrieved 2016-12-08.