| A66 road
The A171 is a road in England that links the North Yorkshire towns of Middlesbrough and Scarborough. Locally it is known as The Moor Road. The road is mostly single carriageway but has some sections of dual carriageway. The distance between the two towns is 47 miles (75 km)
The road starts on the A66 at Middlesbrough (South Bank) and heads south east through Ormesby to Nunthorpe where it turns east as a dual carriageway bypassing Guisborough and the road becomes single carriageway again. Just outside Guisborough it heads into the North York Moors National Park (forming its boundary at first). As it passes the village of Charltons, it rises up at a 15% incline through two 90° turns (the first east then the second south) up to Low Moor, this hill is named Birk Brow.
The road then wends its way through the open moorland of the North York Moors park past Scaling Dam and down into Whitby where it heads across Whitby new bridge. The bridge was built in 1980 at an projected cost of £1 million but the final amount was closer to £2 million.
The road then heads mostly in a south easterly direction out of Whitby bisecting Low & High Hawsker and then into open moorland again until it reaches the village of Cloughton where the National Park ends. It then heads due south through Burniston and Scalby before finishing in Scarborough at a junction with the A64 on Falsgrave Road.
A Park and Ride facility was opened at the junction with the B1460 outside of Whitby in 2014. The park has space for 450 vehicles and buses run every 15 minutes to and from the town between the hours of 10am and 7pm.
At the roundabout junction with the A169 is a monument to the first German aircraft shot down over England in World War II. 3 Hawker Hurricane aircraft of 43 Squadron, RAF Acklington shot down a Heinkel HE 111 at Bannial Flat Farm just north of what is now the two A roads junction.
- The Rough Guide to Yorkshire. Rough Guides. 1 April 2011. p. 224. ISBN 978-1-84836-603-9. Retrieved 3 May 2012.
- "The New Bridge At Whitby - Real Whitby Forums - The Busiest Community Site In Whitby". Real Whitby Forums - The Busiest Community Site In Whitby. Retrieved 12 October 2015.
- Armstrong, Judy; Bibby, Andrew (1 March 2006). Freedom to Roam The North York Moors. frances lincoln ltd. p. 136. ISBN 978-0-7112-2556-5. Retrieved 3 May 2012.
- Arriva Bus service X93 Middlesbrough to Scarborough (PDF). Arriva Bus.
- "Whitby and Esk Valley Transport Strategy" (PDF). NYCC. p. 8.
- "Park-and-ride scheme opens in Whitby". BBC News. Retrieved 1 November 2015.
- "Heinkel He-111 near Whitby.". yorkshire-aircraft.co.uk. Retrieved 1 November 2015.
|This England road or road transport-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|