An A23 battery is cylindrical and approximately two-thirds the length of an AAA battery, measuring 28.2 mm long and 10.0 mm in diameter, with a typical weight of 8 grams. An A23 battery is an 8-cell device with a nominal voltage of 12 V. The higher voltage is necessary for the radio frequency-transmitting and receiving devices which A23 batteries often power. It has a capacity of around 55 mAh.
A23 batteries are constructed of eight individual LR932 alkaline button cells enclosed in a wrapper.
The A23 battery is close in size to the N battery, which has a voltage of 1.25 V to 1.5 V. It is also similar to the A27 battery, which has the same 12 V nominal voltage and almost the same length but is smaller in diameter by about 20% .
- "Overview [of special battery types] - VARTA Consumer Batteries". VARTA Consumer Batteries. Retrieved 2017-09-16.
- "LRV08 - Panasonic-batteries.com". panasonic-batteries.com. Retrieved 2018-03-11.
- "Duracell Technical Library". Archived from the original on 2013-01-21.
- "Shenzhen Power Stations Limited - 23A specification (PDF)" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on July 24, 2012.
- "Cell batteries". Retrieved 16 July 2013.