|Length:||27.5 mi (44.3 km)|
The A565 is a road in England that is around 27.5 miles (44.3 km) long and runs from Liverpool in Merseyside to Tarleton in Lancashire. It is a primary route linking the town of Southport to Liverpool and to Preston (latterly via the connecting A59).
The A565 starts in Liverpool at the junction with the A5052 road and A5053 road respectively, at the south end of Great Howard Street; a spur also heads southbound from this junction for 0.3 miles (0.48 km). From Liverpool, the road follows a north-bound alignment through Bootle, Crosby and on to Formby where it passes along a bypass. After the bypass, the road heads towards Southport where it meets the A570 Scarisbrick New Road before continuing north-east through Banks and into Lancashire, ultimately reaching Tarleton where it meets and becomes the A59 road.
A bypass of Thornton, Merseyside, known as the A5758 Broom's Cross Road, was constructed during 2014-2015, linking the A565 at Thornton with Switch Island junction, having been planned since the 1970s.
Liverpool City Council announced in 2016 that they had appointed a construction company to create a new dual-carriageway road in Liverpool, involving the widening of Great Howard Street and Derby Road, a 1.7 miles (2.7 km) stretch at a cost of £18million.
|Southport Bypass||Southport||Proposed 1940s||Not constructed|
|Crosby (centre) Bypass||Crosby||c1951-1952||Single-carriageway|
Junctions and landmarks
Major junctions and lankmarks are listed in the table below.
|0 miles (0 km)||Chapel Street||Liverpool|
|2.2 miles (3.5 km)||Balliol Road||Bootle|
|3.4 miles (5.5 km)||Knowsley Road||Seaforth|
|3.9 miles (6.3 km)||Princess Way|
|Merchant Taylors' School|
|7.2 miles (11.6 km)||A5758 Broom's Cross Road||Thornton|
|Altcar Training Camp|
|Royal Birkdale Golf Club|
|19 miles (31 km)||Scarisbrick New Road||Southport|
|27.2 miles (43.8 km)||Liverpool Road||Tarleton|
- "Google Maps A565 route". Google Maps. Retrieved 17 April 2017.
- "Google Maps A565 spur". Google Maps. Retrieved 17 April 2017.
- "Side by Side - Liverpool to Thornton". National Library of Scotland. 1900. Retrieved 17 April 2017.
- "Formby By-Pass Estimated Cost". Millbank Systems. 23 April 1936. Retrieved 17 April 2017.
- "Thornton bypass: 40 years in the planning and the new Switch Island road link open this week". Liverpool Echo. 17 August 2015. Retrieved 17 April 2017.
- "Council Awards Contract for £18m road scheme". Liverpool Vision. 2016. Retrieved 17 April 2017.
- "Southport-Water Lane Bypass". Millbank Systems. 1 May 1940. Retrieved 17 April 2017.
- "Crosby Bypass Cost 1951". Millbank Systems. 6 June 1951. Retrieved 17 April 2017.
- "Google Maps A565 Route Distances". Google Maps. Retrieved 17 April 2017.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to A59 road (England).|
|This England road or road transport-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|