AAGPS (NSW) Basketball
This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The NSW AAGPS (Atthletic Association of the Great Public Schools) is one of the premier basketball competitions played in Australia. It is an annual, 7 round competition played between 8 Sydney member teams that include Saint Ignatius Riverview, St Joseph's Hunters Hill, Sydney Grammar, Sydney Boys High, Newington College, Scots College, The Kings school and Sydney Church Of England (Shore). Preseason games are played in Term 4 of the particular season, with the official GPS games played in Term 1 every Saturday. 1st grade games commence at 11:15 and often attract large crowds.
From 2000-onwards, Sydney High, Newington College and Scots college have been the most successful schools, accounting for 13 joint/non joint premierships in 15 seasons.
Every season the AAGPS/RASHCKE Cup (all AAGPS schools compete) is played one week before Round 1, in a 1-day round robin formatted competition. Schools are separated into two pools, with the winner of each group playing each other in the final. This cup is the 2nd most prestigious accolade from a season. In 3 consecutive seasons of 2013, 2014 and 2015, Saint Ignatius College Riverview have made the final, in which they have been victorious twice (13,15).
The competition commenced in 1975.
- First Teams compete for the Denys Hake Shield which was first awarded in 1975, and was presented by The King’s School Council in honour of the wife of a former Headmaster of King’s, Herbert Denys Hake OBE.
- Second Teams compete for The TE Bawden Shield which was first awarded in 1975. It was also presented by The King’s School and named after the first GPS Convenor of Basketball, and later GPS Treasurer, Tom Bawden.
- The AAGPS and CAS First Teams compete annually for the PJ Yeend Cup, presented by Basketball NSW.
- The AAGPS and ISA First Teams compete annually for the McKay Cup.
1975 to 1999
|Year||1st Grade||2nd Grade|
|1984||St Joseph's||St Joseph's|
|1989||St Joseph's||Newington, St Joseph's|
|1991||St Joseph's||Newington, St Joseph's|
|1993||St Joseph's||St Joseph's,Grammar|
|1996||Newington||St Ignatius',Grammar,St Joseph's|
|Year||1st Grade||2nd Grade|
|2002||Shore (Champions)||Shore (Champions)|
|2009||Newington (Champions)||St. Ignatius'|
|2011||Newington, High, Scots||Newington (Champions)|
|2012||High, Scots||Scots (Champions)|
|2013||Scots (Champions)||High (Champions)|
|2014||High (Champions)||St Josephs, St Ignatius' (Undefeated)|
|2015||Newington, High||Scots, High|
- Athletic Association of the Great Public Schools of New South Wales
- AAGPS (NSW) Rugby
- AAGPS (NSW) Soccer
- Head of the River (New South Wales)
- Athletic Association of Great Public Schools of NSW http://aagps.nsw.edu.au/summer-sports/basketball/trophies/. Missing or empty
- SBHS (1978). "[High] finished second behind the joint premiers". The Record: 94.