ABC-Zeitung was a German monthly children's magazine published between 1946 and 1996.
History and profile
Published by Volk und Wissen until 1950, and then by Verlag Junge Welt, the magazine was the voice of the Free German Youth, targeting Young Pioneers and school-age children aged six to eleven. It was issued at a price of 30 Pfennig in schools or at kiosks. The magazine was also read by children as part of their school work.
In 1958 ABC-Zeitung became the official media outlet of Young Pioneers. Following it the magazine covered articles to entertain children as well as to teach them about nature, customs and children in other countries. It was also an antifascist propaganda tool for children.
- "Die ABC Zeitung". Fine Fine Books. 1 February 2013. Retrieved 25 April 2015.
- "Love Those Guards". TIME. Retrieved 7 December 2014.
- Catherine Plum (20 February 2015). Antifascism After Hitler: East German Youth and Socialist Memory, 1949-1989. Routledge. p. 50. ISBN 978-1-317-59928-9. Retrieved 25 April 2015.
- Peter Hunt (2 September 2003). International Companion Encyclopedia of Children's Literature. Routledge. p. 442. ISBN 978-1-134-87994-6. Retrieved 25 April 2015.
- "ABC-Zeitung" (in German). Comic Museum Neubrandenburg. Retrieved 25 January 2013.
- Lorenz, Christa (1999). "'Bummi' und der Weg ins Leben: Erziehung und Gesellschaft in einer Kinderzeitschrift" ['Bummi' and the way into life: Education and society in a children's magazine]. In Ludwig, Andreas. Fortschritt, Norm und Eigensinn: Erkundungen Im Alltag der DDR 1949-1990 [Progress, Norm and Waywardness: Exploring Everyday Life in the GDR] (in German). Ch. Links Verlag. p. 213. ISBN 3-8615-3190-9.