ABC (The Jackson 5 song)
|Single by The Jackson 5|
|from the album ABC|
|B-side||"The Young Folks"|
|Released||February 24, 1970|
|Format||Vinyl record (7" 45 RPM)|
|Genre||Soul, R&B, bubblegum pop, disco|
|Songwriter(s)||The Corporation (Berry Gordy, Freddie Perren, Alphonzo Mizell and Deke Richards)|
|The Jackson 5 singles chronology|
"ABC" is a 1970 #1 hit by The Jackson 5. It was released on February 24. "ABC" knocked The Beatles' "Let It Be" off the top of the Billboard Hot 100 in 1970, and was #1 on the soul singles chart for four weeks.
Written with a similar structure and feel as the Jacksons' first hit of 1970, "I Want You Back". ABC was performed on television on American Bandstand (February 21, 1970), The Ed Sullivan Show (May 10, 1970), and The Flip Wilson Show (November 4, 1971), among many other broadcasts. "ABC" is considered one of the band's signature songs. It is one of the shortest titles to hit #1, and is the first alphabetically in a list of #1 hits on the Billboard Hot 100. The upbeat lyrics compare learning to love to learning the alphabet. The song is considered by some to be one of the first disco songs.
50 Cent told NME that the song was the first he remembered hearing: "I've always loved MJ, so I guess it was probably a good place to start music: right here, with the ABCs." On November 7, 2016, the Grammy Hall of Fame announced its induction, along with that of another 24 songs.
|Chart (1970–1971, 2009)||Peak|
|Belgian Singles Chart (Flanders)||24|
|UK Singles Chart||8|
|US Billboard Hot 100||1|
|Australian ARIA Singles Chart||43|
|Irish Singles Chart||38|
|UK Singles Chart||50|
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-05-30. Retrieved 2011-05-28.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- Bronson, Fred (2003). The Billboard Book of Number One Hits. Billboard Books. p. 272.
- "Disco 70 Charts - 1971". www.70disco.com.
- Haynes, Gavin (October 1, 2015). "Soundtrack of my life". NME: 48.
- "Nirvana, Bowie, R.E.M. Songs Among Grammy Hall of Fame's 2017 Inductees". rollingstone.com.
- The Jackson 5 - "ABC" (1970) single charts Archived August 29, 2011, at the Wayback Machine
- Overview of The Jackson 5 - "ABC" single. All the picture sleeves, song and remixes to listen at www.jackson5abc.com
- The Jackson 5 - "ABC" song review by Bill Janovitz at AllMusic
- The Jackson 5 - "ABC" (1970) song as listed on the Rock Band song library.