|Publisher||Visual Print Enterprises|
|Media type||Print (Paperback)|
ABNKKBSNPLAko?! is a 2001 novel by Filipino author Bob Ong — his first and most popular work. The title is meant to be read phonetically as "Aba, nakakabasa na pala ako?!", which can be roughly translated as "Wow, I can actually read now?!" The novel details what are supposedly the childhood memories of the author, from his earliest days as a student until his first few years at work.
The book was a surprise hit in 2001, quickly selling out its first run of 500 copies. By 2013 it had sold over 240,000 copies, at which time a 12th anniversary edition was published. The success of Bob Ong's book among Filipinos has been attributed to its conversational tone which uses humor to point out various absurdities inherent to Filipino culture. The popularity of ABNKKBSNPLAko in particular is attributed to an element of nostalgia. Says University of the Philippines literary professor, Philippines Free Press literary editor, and award-winning poet Paolo Manalo about Bob Ong's work: "The materials he used in his books are those familiar to this generation of Filipinos. One might even call them urban culture lore...."
Film and other adaptations
A film version titled ABNKKBSNPLAko?! The Movie was released by VIVA Films on February 19, 2014. It starred Andi Eigenmann as "special someone", Meg Imperial as Portia, and Jericho Rosales as Bob Ong. It is directed by Mark Meily, and the script was written by Ned Trespeces.
A board game based on the book was published.
- "The mystery begins with his name-Bob Ong (not his real name)". Sunday Inquirer Magazine. Retrieved 2008-04-03.
- Pam Pastor (January 25, 2014). "Bob Ong’s ‘ABNKKBSNPLAko?!’ is now a movie". Philippine Daily Inquirer. Retrieved March 18, 2014.
- Ruel S. De Vera (July 19, 2006). "The mystery begins with the name ‘Bob Ong’". Philippine Daily Inquirer. Retrieved March 18, 2014.
- Miralles, Nitz. "Regine bashed by Sarah's fans". Journal Online. Retrieved 3 November 2013.
- Luigene Yanoria (January 21, 2014). "Everything you need to know about ABNKKBSNPLAko the movie". Yahoo News. Retrieved March 18, 2014.
- Bautista, Mario. "FANS TAKE ROLE PERSONALLY AGAINST MEG". Journal Online. Retrieved 3 November 2013.
- Ramos, NR. "Bob Ong’s ‘ABNKKBSNPLAko’ soon in theaters". Manila Bulletin. Retrieved 3 November 2013.
|This Philippines-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a 2000s novel is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|