Dr. Y. S. Rajasekhara Reddy ACA–VDCA Cricket Stadium
This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
ACA-VDCA Cricket Stadium
|Location||Pothinamallayya Palem, Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh|
|Owner||Sports Authority of Andhra Pradesh|
|Operator||Andhra cricket team|
|Tenants||Indian cricket team|
Andhra cricket team
DV Subba Rao End
|Only Test||17–21 November 2016:|
India v England
|First ODI||5 April 2005:|
India v Pakistan
|Last ODI||24 October 2018:|
India v West Indies
|First T20I||8 September 2012:|
India v New Zealand
|Last T20I||14 February 2016:|
India v Sri Lanka
|As of 24 October 2018|
Visakhapatnam Dr. Y.S. Rajashekhar Reddy ACA-VDCA Cricket Stadium (Telugu: డా. వై.ఎస్. రాజశేఖర రెడ్డి ఏ.సి.ఏ - వి. డి. సి.ఏ అంతర్జాతీయ క్రికెట్ మైదానం), also known as the ACA-VDCA Cricket Stadium, is a multi-purpose stadium in Visakhapatnam, India with a lush green outfield. It is primarily used for Cricket.
The stadium has two-tiers and was designed to avoid any restricted view seats, eliminating pillars or columns which come in the field of view of spectators in some of the Indian stadiums. The pitch is known as a batsman friendly one.
The ACA-VDCA stadium is known for its lush green outfield and is one of the most well maintained stadiums.The grass for the outfield was specially imported from the Caribbean. In addition to this, the stadium has a very good water drainage facility. The stadium currently seats a 38,000 capacity crowd and is primarily used for cricket matches. The stadium has floodlight facilities to host a D/N cricket matches.
The pitch assists spinners and the ball doesn't bounce much and hence, batting second is terrible. In recent matches, team batting second have even struggled to post odd 80 runs on the board.
The stadium hosted its first ODI match against Pakistan, in which Mahendra Singh Dhoni scored his maiden one day international century (148) in 2005. After being given Test status, it hosted its first test match in November 2016, between India and England. India won the match by 246 runs. The Stadium hosted its first T20I in February 2016 between India and Sri Lanka, in Which Ravichandran Ashwin took 4 wickets for 8 runs in his 4 over spell bundling out Sri Lanka for 83.
Stats & Records
- Matches hosted
- MS Dhoni scored his maiden ODI hundred (148) at this ground when Pakistan toured India in 2005.
- Virat Kohli scored 157 (13*4,4*6) off 129 balls against West Indies on 24th October 2018, which is the highest individual score (surpassing MS Dhoni) for any batsmen on this ground.
- Due to water scarcity in Maharashtra during the IPL 2016 season, Mumbai Indians and Rising Pune Supergiants played 3 games each at this stadium. Visakhapatnam served as a home venue for both the teams.
- Rising Pune Supergiants skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni [when CSK was facing eviction in 2016 & 2017] scored 23 runs off final over against Axar Patel of Kings XI Punjab on 17 May 2016 to secure one of the highest chases in T20s at this stadium.
- In 2016, Visakhapatnam hosted all 3 international formats in the same year in which India won the T20I, ODI and Test against Sri Lanka, New Zealand and England respectively.
- On 24 October 2018, Virat Kohli became the fastest player to score 10,000 ODI runs with 205 innings surpassing Sachin Tendulkar. He achieved this feat during the second ODI against West Indies.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Dr. Y.S. Rajasekhara Reddy ACA-VDCA Cricket Stadium.|
- Visakhapatnam ACA-VDCA Cricket Stadium at ESPNcricinfo
- Visakhapatnam Cricket Stadium at CricketArchive