|Traded as||NASDAQ: ACIW
S&P 400 Component
|Founded||Omaha, Nebraska, United States (1975 )|
|Headquarters||Naples, FL, United States|
|Philip G. Heasley (CEO)|
|Revenue||US$1.006 billion (2016)|
Number of employees
ACI Worldwide (NASDAQ: ACIW) is a payment systems company headquartered in Naples, Florida. ACI's products and services are designed to facilitate electronic payments and are used principally by financial institutions, retailers and electronic payment processors. ACI's portfolio of products generally addresses four primary market segments:
- retail banking, including debit and credit card issuers;
- wholesale banking, including corporate cash management and treasury management operations;
- bill pay solutions.
ACI was founded in Omaha, Nebraska as Applied Communications Inc in 1975 to develop software for communications applications making use of the new NonStop computers from the then Tandem Computers. The original founders were James Cody, Dave Willadsen, and Dennis Gates. Chuck Hackett, Charly Foglesong, and Mike May began ACI's relationship with Tandem. Many early projects involved building systems to handle ATMs, front ending the bank core banking systems, which led to the launch of the first product, BASE24, in 1982. BASE24 was originally coined by a salesman. The name was meant to represent "Baseline Software for 24 hour-per-day system operations".
Over time BASE24 was expanded to service transactions from other channels such as POS terminals and branch systems. And the product portfolio grew to cover more functions around card transactions such as clearing and settlement and fraud detection. The hardware utilised for these products was also expanded to include suppliers including IBM, HP, Stratus and Sun Microsystems.
In the 1990s ACI's product range was extended to cover wholesale banking payments with solutions for ACH transactions and wire transfers leading to the acquisition of IntraNet in 1998, which expanded the product range with the Money Transfer System product.
Since 1995, ACI has been publicly traded on NASDAQ, initially under the name Transaction Systems Architects (TSA), and since July 2007 under the name ACI Worldwide, Inc. (ACIW). Prior to that ACI had periods under US West and Tandem ownership and as a private company.
In November 2009 it was announced ACI would buy Euronet Essentis to expand card issuing and merchant management capabilities and in March 2011 agreement was reached to acquire ISD Corporation to broaden payment product offerings for retailers.
August 7, 1998 | IntraNet, Inc. was acquired by ACI Worldwide, Inc. IntraNet, Inc. manufactures software systems to facilitate electronic payments.
January 11, 2001 | Transaction System Architects Inc. completed the acquisition of MessagingDirect, for approximately 3.3 million shares of Transaction Systems' Class A Common Stock.
June 29, 2005 | Transaction Systems Architects, Inc. announced the signing of a definitive agreement to acquire substantially all of the assets of S2 Systems.
October 5, 2005 | Transaction Systems Architects, Inc. announced a restructured, highly focused organization, merging ACI, Insession and IntraNet  into one operating unit under the ACI Worldwide name.
August 8, 2006 | ACI Worldwide acquired P&H Solutions Inc., provider of a Web-based corporate cash management solution.
February 7, 2007 | Visual WEB Solutions Inc., a financial banking application solutions company was acquired by ACI Worldwide.
November 17, 2009 | ACI bought Euronet Essentis to expand card issuing and merchant management capabilities
March 21, 2011 | ACI Worldwide, Inc. announced that it had acquired ISD Corporation, provider of secure payment management software and solutions for retailers in the U.S. and Canada, to broaden the functionality of its payments solutions for retailers.
February 13, 2012 | ACI Worldwide, Inc. acquired S1 Corporation to broaden its suite of payment offerings for financial organizations, processors and retailers.
March 11, 2013 | Online Resources Corporation, provider of online banking and full service bill pay solutions, was acquired by ACI Worldwide Inc., adding Electronic Bill Presentment and Payment (EBPP) solutions as a strategic part of ACI’s Universal Payments portfolio.
November 5, 2013 | ACI Worldwide completed its purchase of Official Payments Holdings, a seller of electronic bill payment technology that processed about 20 million payments, worth more than $9 billion, annually.
August 12, 2014 | ACI Worldwide, Inc. completed the acquisition of Retail Decisions (ReD),
November 4, 2015 | ACI Worldwide, Inc. completed the acquisition of PAY.ON who provide white-label hosted payment gateway services,
Donna Cody was one the first 10 people to work at ACI, the first woman to work at ACI and she still works at ACI (longest tenured person at ACI.) Donna works in the Software Management group and is based in Omaha. Donna was married to Jim Cody, one of the original founders.
- Retail banking, including debit and credit card issuers
- Wholesale banking, including corporate cash management and treasury management operations
- Bill Pay Solutions
- Payments Risk Management & Analytics
- Philip G. Heasley, President and Chief Executive Officer
- Eve Aretakis, Executive Vice President, Product Development
- Scott Behrens, Senior Executive Vice President, Chief Financial Officer
- Dennis Byrnes, Executive Vice President, Chief Administrative Officer
- Daniel Frate, Group President, ACI On Demand P&L
- Carl Gustin, Executive Vice President, Chief Marketing Officer
- Carolyn Homberger, Group President, Global Sales
- Mandy Killam, Executive Vice President, ACI On Premise P&L
- Craig Maki, Executive Vice President, Treasurer and Corporate Development Officer
- David N. Morem, Executive Vice President, Chief Risk Officer
- Craig Saks, Chief Operating Officer
- Tony Scotto, Senior Executive Vice President, Chief of Technology
- List of companies in the United States
- List of S&P 400 companies
- Membership of ATM Industry Association (ATMIA)
- "ACI Worldwide, Inc. Form 10-K Period Ending December 31, 2016" (PDF).
- "ACI corporate banking division reverts to IntraNet brand name". Finextra. Retrieved 14 June 2011.
- "TSA changes name to ACI Worldwide". ATM Marketplace. Archived from the original on 9 February 2012. Retrieved 14 June 2011.
- "ACI to buy Euronet's Essentis unit". Finextra.
- "ACI Worldwide acquires ISD Corp.". Bloomberg Businessweek. Archived from the original on 2011-06-23.
- Bloomberg BusinessWeek article. http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D9Q4TDGO0.htm
- Reuters article. http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/10/03/s1-aciworldwide-idUSL3E7L31MB20111003
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-06-23. Retrieved 2011-06-14.
- "ACI Worldwide, Inc. Form 10-K Period Ending December 31, 2013" (PDF).