ACT Teachers Partylist
The ACT Teachers Partylist is a political party representing teachers and education sector workers with a seat in the 15th and 16th Philippine Congress, and with two seats in the incoming 17th Philippine Congress. Its nominees for the 2016 elections are as follows: Rep. Antonio Tinio, Francisca Castro, Raymond Basilio, Dr. David Michael San Juan and Atty. Gregorio Fabros.
ACT Teachers Partylist is part of the left-wing Makabayan Bloc, and is known for its active campaign for salary hikes for teachers, successful tax reduction initiatives, optional poll service duty for teachers, and lowering of optional retirement age of public school teachers.
ACT Teachers Partylist is also an active proponent of the Supreme Court cases against the Philippine government's K to 12 system, co-filing at least 2 K to 12-related cases in 2015, and successfully securing a temporary restraining order (TRO) against a government order that abolishes Filipino language subject in college. It also supported the popular clamor for the abolition of the corruption-prone pork barrel system in the Philippine Congress.
ACT Teachers Partylist was founded by members and affiliates of Alliance of Concerned Teachers-Philippines (ACT-Philippines/ACT), on January 5, 2008 in an assembly at Quezon City, with the following personalities as officials: Dr. Bienvenido L. Lumbera (Chairperson); Dr. Francis A. Gealogo (Vice-Chairperson); Antonio L. Tinio (President); April Valentin C. Montes (Secretary-General); Maria Katrina S. Santiago (Treasurer); David Michael M. San Juan, Maria Teresa P. Tinio, Mikko James dC. Rodriguez, Neil L. Legaspi, Zenaida S. Lao and Atty. Gregorio T. Fabros (National Council Members).
- "REP. ANTONIO L. TINIO". ACT Teachers Party-list. Retrieved 2016-05-19.
- Uy, Jocelyn R. "New groups make it to party-list's Top 10". newsinfo.inquirer.net. Retrieved 2016-05-19.
- Ager, Maila. "Makabayan bloc endorses Poe-Escudero tandem". newsinfo.inquirer.net. Retrieved 2016-05-19.
- "SSL hurdles final reading at lower house". cnn. Retrieved 2016-05-19.
- "ACT Teachers Party-list » House Bills". www.act-teachers.com. Retrieved 2016-05-19.
- Torres-Tupas, Tetch. "K-12 to displace thousands of teachers, students, say critics". newsinfo.inquirer.net. Retrieved 2016-05-19.
- "SC stops CHED's 'anti-Filipino' new GE curriculum". Rappler. Retrieved 2016-05-19.
- Gamil, Jaymee T. "Congress urged to junk 2015 budget due to pro-DAP provisions". newsinfo.inquirer.net. Retrieved 2016-05-19.
- Cruz, RG. "Scrap legislative, executive 'pork', PNoy urged". ABS-CBN. Retrieved 2016-05-19.
- "About ACT Teachers". ACT Teachers Party-list. Retrieved 2016-05-19.