AC Transit Bus fight
The AC Transit Bus fight was an altercation between two men aboard a transit bus in Oakland, California, in the United States, which took place on February 15, 2010, at approximately 12:00 p.m. PST. The fight, between 67-year-old Thomas A. Bruso (who became known as "Epic Beard Man", "Vietnam Tom" and "Tom Slick") and a 50-year-old man named Michael, was recorded on video and later uploaded to the video hosting website YouTube, where it became a viral video. As of March 2013, the video has received over six million views on various blogs and websites. It ranked among the top five most viewed videos on YouTube in its first week, but was not included in the official list. The event raised concerns following a number of previous incidents involving violence on the public transport system in Oakland.
The incident took place in downtown Oakland on an Alameda-Contra Costa Transit District (AC Transit) Line NL bus bound for San Francisco, and involved a black man, identified as Michael, and an older white bearded man identified as Thomas Alexander Bruso, who later came to be referred to as "Epic Beard Man". The events in the bus were recorded by Iyanna Washington.
In the video, Bruso is seen wearing a light blue T-shirt that reads "I AM a Motherfucker" on the back. Bruso is seated across from Michael near the rear of the bus. Exactly how the argument started is unclear, but the conversation quickly became heated, with Michael angrily asking Bruso, "Why's a brother got to spit shine your shoes?" Bruso has stated in later interviews that Michael tried to make his statement racial. Bruso then tells Michael how he was referring to a person that "was gonna shine his shoes" and that a brother "could be anyone, he could be a Chinaman!" After additional charged exchange, Bruso says, "you ain't scaring this white boy," and walks away from Michael to the front of the bus.
Much of their conversation is inaudible, and some riders discourage Michael from approaching Bruso, while others such as Washington encourage him to attack, saying "Say it again, Pinky!" When the verbal exchange starts to die down again, Michael begins walking back to his seat, at which point Bruso yells "I see tough guys like you and I slap the shit out of them!" Michael responds "What!?", turns around and walks back toward Bruso, and swings at Bruso. Bruso stands and punches Michael several times, knocking Michael to the floor. View of the men is lost briefly while Washington moves closer to the commotion; when view resumes, Bruso is shown with Michael, who is now bleeding from facial injuries, in his grasp. Bruso releases Michael, exclaiming "I told you not to fuck with me!", and then exits the bus, and is still yelling when the bus makes its next stop. After another exchange, Michael returns to his seat in the rear of the bus. Washington then takes a bag Bruso left behind and carries it to the back of the bus. Washington offers Michael the use of her recording if he wishes to press charges, but Michael never acknowledges the offer, instead requesting an ambulance.
In a second video, Bruso, now on the street, continues to yell about the fight. He loudly mentions Vietnam and kicks a newspaper dispenser before walking away. Both men were treated at a local hospital for their injuries. Bruso underwent psychiatric evaluation at John George Psychiatric Pavilion in San Leandro. Neither man was arrested.
On February 17, 2010, Washington posted her own perspective of the events on YouTube. In this video, Washington says she hopes to "clear some things up" (see 0:38s). She goes on later to say, "I would like to apologize to anyone who took offense to any part of this video" (see 3:14—3:21).
Responding to allegations that Michael was her "companion," Washington makes clear, "I've never seen these two gentlemen ever before in my life", and claims she did not intend to steal Bruso's bag (though her companion says, "go through that shit" while the camera is on Bruso's bag which she picked up from the front of the bus and brought back to her seat). In a subsequent interview, when asked if he got his "stuff back," Bruso said Sheriff's deputies ultimately did return his belongings, except an identification card and some money, "about three hours later." See @ (3:55—4:05). Washington also appeared in a local CBS news video interview giving her version of events.
Bruso was born in Michigan. In addition to the "AC Transit Fight", another video involving Thomas Bruso was uploaded to YouTube. He was stunned with a taser twice at the Oakland Coliseum by police on August 3, 2009 for sitting in empty seats at a ball game, questioning what he did wrong, then for failing to immediately comply with police officers who demanded he move from the empty section. He was charged with resisting arrest and taken to a psychiatric hospital for evaluation. Despite several interviews where Bruso claims he served in Vietnam, a freedom of Information act request filed in Dec of 2012 shows that Bruso was kicked out of the US Army before finishing recruit training, His total service consisted of three months (Feb-May, 1969) and he never left Fort Polk.
Interviews of Bruso
Bruso was the subject of several interviews, among those one shot in San Francisco by KRON on February 19, 2010. Nathan Hartley Maas, a graphic designer from Portland, Oregon, produced a documentary short entitled I Am a Motherfucker, in which Bruso is interviewed about his personal background, day-to-day activity, and thoughts on his contemporary celebrity status. The documentary was uploaded to YouTube.
Spread of the meme
Within a short time of the original video going viral, musical and animated parodies about the fight began to appear on YouTube in a manner similar to the way parodies spread after the "Don't tase me, bro!" University of Florida Taser incident. The Huffington Post called the AC Transit Bus Fight "the fastest growing public fight meme ever". Original songs, remixes, animations, "tributes", and other derivative and reflective videos, slide shows, and photo galleries dedicated to the event and its participants were also hosted at newly opened Internet domains with names that derived from aspects of the event.
- Luschek, Matthew (10 May 2011). "Epic Beard Man is Homeless, Needs Help". nbcbayarea.com. Archived from the original on 14 May 2011.
"Epic Beard Man", aka Vietnam veteran, Tom Bruso, is homeless, after being evicted from his home back in January. Filmmaker Nathan Maas made this short video featuring Vietnam Tom, where he explains himself, and how hard it is to be homeless in America.
- "Bus assault pensioner, 67, starred in second YouTube altercation last August... when he was Tasered by police". dailymail.co.uk. 12 April 2010.
Thomas Bruso was Tasered twice by police last August at an Oakland A's baseball game. The 6ft 1ins, 20 stone pensioner - who calls himself 'Tom Slick,'
- "Frommer's San Francisco 2011 - Google Books", books.google.co.uk, p. 13, ISBN 978-0-470-63614-5, retrieved 2 March 2011
- Gomez, Cina (February 17, 2010). "Fight Breaks Out In AC Transit Bus". Thaindian News. Retrieved 2010-02-19.
- "Wild Fight On Transit Bus Caught On Tape". KOVR-TV. 17 February 2010. Archived from the original on February 20, 2010. Retrieved 26 February 2010.
- Farrell, Michael B. (17 February 2010). "Fights on public transit: Oakland bus fracas is latest flash point". Christian Science Monitor. Archived from the original on 19 February 2010. Retrieved 20 February 2010.
- "Witness: Oakland Bus Fight Racially Tinged". CBS News. 2010-02-17. Retrieved 18 February 2010.
- "Why 'Epic Beard Man' Is The Fastest Growing Public Fight Meme Ever". The Huffington Post. 20 February 2010.
- "'Racially-charged' fight on U.S. bus becomes YouTube hit". The Daily Mail. 18 February 2010. Archived from the original on 20 February 2010. Retrieved 18 February 2010.
- Associated Press. "Raw Video: Fist Fight Aboard Oakland Bus". YouTube. Retrieved 2010-02-20.
- "Fight on AC Transit bus caught on video". KGO-TV. February 17, 2010. Retrieved 2010-02-17.
- Woodall, Angela (February 19, 2010). "AC Transit bus brawler has video past". San Jose Mercury. Retrieved 2010-02-20.
- "The Day After The World Saw Ac Transit Buc Fight I Am A Motherfucker L & Ll". YouTube. Retrieved 2010-08-13.
- Abraham, Zennie (February 17, 2010). "City Brights: Zennie Abraham : AC Transit Bus Fight - YouTuber iyannaw08 talks about video". San Francisco Chronicle. Archived from the original on 3 April 2010. Retrieved 2010-02-20.
- "Thomas Bruso aka Epic Beard Man Interviewed". YouTube. Retrieved 2010-08-13.
- Yoo, Aileen (March 2, 2010). "The obsession with AC Transit brawler, a.k.a. Epic Beard Man". San Francisco Chronicle. Archived from the original on 5 March 2010. Retrieved 2010-03-02.
- Maas, Nathan (February 26, 2010). "I Am a Motherfucker: Part One". YouTube. Archived from the original on 8 March 2010. Retrieved 2010-02-28.
- "Thomas Bruso; Epic beard man not a Vietnam vet". This ain't Hell, but you can see it from here. Retrieved 2015-10-12.
- "Epic Beard Man Interview". YouTube. February 19, 2010. Retrieved 2010-02-20.
- "AC Transit Says Bus Driver Followed Protocol During Fight on Bus in Oakland". KRON 4. February 19, 2010. Retrieved 2010-02-28.[dead link]
- Maas, Nathan (February 26, 2010). "I Am a Motherfucker: Part Two". YouTube. Archived from the original on 8 March 2010. Retrieved 2010-02-28.
- on YouTube
- Zierlein, Lance (February 19, 2010). "The Z Report". San Francisco Chronicle. Archived from the original on 24 February 2010. Retrieved 2010-02-20.