This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|AD 49 by topic|
|Gregorian calendar||AD 49|
|Ab urbe condita||802|
|Balinese saka calendar||N/A|
|Chinese calendar||戊申年 (Earth Monkey)|
2745 or 2685
— to —
己酉年 (Earth Rooster)
2746 or 2686
|Coptic calendar||−235 – −234|
|- Vikram Samvat||105–106|
|- Shaka Samvat||N/A|
|- Kali Yuga||3149–3150|
|Iranian calendar||573 BP – 572 BP|
|Islamic calendar||591 BH – 590 BH|
|Julian calendar||AD 49|
|Minguo calendar||1863 before ROC|
|Seleucid era||360/361 AG|
|Thai solar calendar||591–592|
175 or −206 or −978
— to —
176 or −205 or −977
AD 49 (XLIX) was a common year starting on Wednesday (link will display the full calendar) of the Julian calendar. At the time, it was known as the Year of the Consulship of Longus and Veranius (or, less frequently, year 802 Ab urbe condita). The denomination AD 49 for this year has been used since the early medieval period, when the Anno Domini calendar era became the prevalent method in Europe for naming years.
- Emperor Claudius marries his niece Agrippina the Younger (approximate date).
- Seneca the Younger becomes Nero's tutor.
- Melankomas is the boxing champion at the 207th Olympic Games.
- Likely date for the expulsion of the Jews from Rome.
- Nero becomes engaged to Claudia Octavia, daughter of Claudius.
- Agrippina the Younger charges Octavia's first fiancé Lucius Junius Silanus Torquatus with incest. He is brought before the Senate and sentenced to death.
- In Britain, governor Publius Ostorius Scapula founds a colonia for Roman veterans at Camulodunum (Colchester). Verulamium (St Albans) is probably established as a municipium the same year. A legion is stationed on the borders of the Silures of South Wales in preparation for invasion.
- New Testament book Paul's Epistle to the Galatians is probably written.
- Christianity spreads into Europe, especially at Rome and at Philippi (probable date according to chronology derived from the Acts of the Apostles).
This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (February 2016)