This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|AD 59 by topic|
|Gregorian calendar||AD 59|
|Ab urbe condita||812|
|Balinese saka calendar||N/A|
|Chinese calendar||戊午年 (Earth Horse)|
2755 or 2695
— to —
己未年 (Earth Goat)
2756 or 2696
|Coptic calendar||−225 – −224|
|- Vikram Samvat||115–116|
|- Shaka Samvat||N/A|
|- Kali Yuga||3159–3160|
|Iranian calendar||563 BP – 562 BP|
|Islamic calendar||580 BH – 579 BH|
|Julian calendar||AD 59|
|Minguo calendar||1853 before ROC|
|Seleucid era||370/371 AG|
|Thai solar calendar||601–602|
185 or −196 or −968
— to —
186 or −195 or −967
AD 59 (LIX) was a common year starting on Monday (link will display the full calendar) of the Julian calendar. At the time, it was known as the Year of the Consulship of Apronianus and Capito (or, less frequently, year 812 Ab urbe condita). The denomination AD 59 for this year has been used since the early medieval period, when the Anno Domini calendar era became the prevalent method in Europe for naming years.
- Emperor Nero orders the murder of his mother Julia Augusta Agrippina. He tries to kill her through a planned shipwreck, but when she survives has her executed and frames it as a suicide.
- Gnaeus Domitius Corbulo, Roman commander in the east, captures Tigranocerta in Mesopotamia. He installs Tigranes VI, a Cappadocian prince, as ruler of Armenia. For the next four years, a cohort from Legio VI Ferrata and Legio X Fretensis is stationed in the capital as bodyguard to the king, supported by fifteen hundred auxiliaries.
- Publius Clodius Thrasea Paetus retires from the Roman Senate.
- Riot between the people of Pompeii and the people of Nuceria in Pompeii. Thousands are killed.
Arts and sciences
- In the Satyricon, Petronius pokes fun at Roman immorality.
- An eclipse on 30 April over North Africa is recorded by Pliny the Elder in his Natural History.
- Paul the Apostle pleads his case and testifies of Christianity before King Agrippa II of the Herodians, who responds "You almost persuade me to be a Christian."
This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (February 2016)
- Julia Augusta Agrippina, mother of Nero (killed by his order) (b. AD 15 or 16)
- Domitius Afer, Roman orator