This article does not cite any sources. (February 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|AD 96 by topic|
|Gregorian calendar||AD 96|
|Ab urbe condita||849|
|Balinese saka calendar||17–18|
|Chinese calendar||乙未年 (Wood Goat)|
2792 or 2732
— to —
丙申年 (Fire Monkey)
2793 or 2733
|Coptic calendar||−188 – −187|
|- Vikram Samvat||152–153|
|- Shaka Samvat||17–18|
|- Kali Yuga||3196–3197|
|Iranian calendar||526 BP – 525 BP|
|Islamic calendar||542 BH – 541 BH|
|Julian calendar||AD 96|
|Minguo calendar||1816 before ROC|
|Seleucid era||407/408 AG|
|Thai solar calendar||638–639|
222 or −159 or −931
— to —
223 or −158 or −930
AD 96 (XCVI) was a leap year starting on Friday (link will display the full calendar) of the Julian calendar. At the time, it was known as the Year of the Consulship of Valens and Vetus (or, less frequently, year 849 Ab urbe condita). The denomination AD 96 for this year has been used since the early medieval period, when the Anno Domini calendar era became the prevalent method in Europe for naming years.
- September 18 – Emperor Domitian is stabbed to death by a freedman at age 44 after a 15-year reign in a palace conspiracy involving officers of the Praetorian Guard. The Flavian dynasty ends.
- Nerva is declared emperor by the Senate as the new ruler of the Roman Empire. He recalls citizens exiled by Domitian, this is the beginning of the Era of the Five Good Emperors. The Antonines dynasty starts.
- Under Nerva, the Roman Senate regains much of the power usurped by Domitian.
- Marcus Ulpius Traianus becomes governor of Upper Germany.
- The Arch of Titus is completed in Rome.
Arts and sciences
- The Book of Revelation is written (traditional date).
- A schism in Buddhism creates a new, popular religion in India, mahâyâna (Grand Vehicle).
This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (February 2016)
(b. AD 51)