400 West Market
|400 West Market|
400 West Market, located on the right
|Location||400 West Market
|Construction started||July 1991|
|Roof||549 feet (167 m)|
|Floor area||633,650 sq ft (58,868 m2)|
|Design and construction|
|Developer||Gerald D. Hines|
400 West Market is a skyscraper in Downtown Louisville, Kentucky. The 35-story, 549-foot (167 m) high structure was designed by architect John Burgee with Philip Johnson and was completed in 1993 at the cost of US$100 million. The building, originally named Capital Holding Center, was later renamed Providian Center and AEGON Center as the business was renamed and sold. AEGON left the building in 2010, and the building was renamed 400 West Market in 2014.
Currently the tallest building in the state of Kentucky, the building is constructed of reinforced concrete, as opposed to the steel construction usual for buildings of its height. A distinctive feature of the building is the 80-foot (24 m) high Romanesque dome which reflects the building's original name of Capital Holding that is illuminated from the interior at night. The upper floors of the building are also illuminated at night. 400 West Market's lighting is changed from the usual white to a combination of red and green from Thanksgiving Day until New Year's Day.
The skyscraper has 633,650 square feet (58,868 m²) of leaseable space for office and 18,787 square feet (1,745 m²) for retail.
The original owner of 400 West Market was a limited partnership which consisted of Hines Interest, as a general partner, and Japanese limited partners. In April, 2004, David Werner's investment group purchased the building.
- List of tallest buildings by U.S. state
- Commonwealth Building
- List of tallest buildings in Louisville
National City Tower
|Tallest building in Kentucky
- Kleber, John E., ed. (2001). "Aegon Center". The Encyclopedia of Louisville. Lexington, Kentucky: University Press of Kentucky. pp. 6–7. ISBN 0-8131-2100-0. Retrieved May 14, 2015.
- "400 West Market". Skyscraper Center. CTBUH. Retrieved 2017-08-28.
- Gregory A. Luhan, Dennis Domer, David Mohney The Louisville Guide (Princeton Architectural Press) Page 100 ISBN 1-56898-451-0
- Braden Lammers. "400 West Market the new name for former Aegon Center at Fourth and Market streets in downtown Louisville - Louisville". Business First. Retrieved 2014-07-04.
- "400 West Market". Hines. Retrieved 8 July 2016.
- Investors complete $128.5M Aegon Center purchase - Business First of Louisville:
- 1987 Kentucky Derby Winner Alysheba Statue At Aegon Center Of Louisville Kentucky KY Stock Photography - World of Stock Photos
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to AEGON Center.|