AFF–EAFF Champions Trophy
|Region||Asia (AFF and EAFF)|
|Number of teams||2|
|2019 AFF–EAFF Champions Trophy|
The AFF–EAFF Champions Trophy is a biennial football match organised by ASEAN Football Federation (AFF) and East Asian Football Federation (EAFF) and contested by the reigning champions of the two main Asian international football competitions, the AFF Championship and the EAFF E-1 Football Championship. It takes place during the FIFA international match window.
The first AFF–EAFF Champions Trophy match, to be played on a single-match format, was initially scheduled to be held on 26 March 2019 at the Mỹ Đình National Stadium in Hanoi, Vietnam between the national football teams of Vietnam and South Korea. However, on 19 February 2019, it was announced that the inaugural AFF–EAFF Champions Trophy match would be postponed until an unclear date in 2020 after both contesting teams failed to settle on a date for the match within the 2019 calendar.
The trophy will be contested biennially, with AFF and EAFF rotating the host venue duties and the former staging the first-ever Champions Trophy. Vietnam automatically won hosting right to the inaugural Champions Trophy match on 15 December 2018 after beating Malaysia 3–2 on aggregate score in the 2018 AFF Championship Final. A memorandum of understanding (MoU) for the organisation of the AFF–EAFF Champions Trophy was signed in Hanoi, Vietnam on 15 December 2018 by AFF Deputy President, Maj General Khiev Sameth, and EAFF President, Chung Mong-gyu.
|2020||Vietnam||Mỹ Đình National Stadium, Hanoi|
- "AFF, EAFF introduce Champions Trophy for Regional Winners". ASEAN Football Federation. 15 December 2018. Retrieved 31 January 2019.
- "EAFF signs on advanced partnership with AFF". East Asian Football Federation. 15 December 2018. Retrieved 31 January 2019.
- Seok Nam-jun; Kim Kyeong-pil; Joo Hyung-sik (17 December 2018). "Korea, Vietnam to Square off in New Regional Football Competition". The Chosun Ilbo. Retrieved 31 January 2019.
- Dang Khoa (15 January 2019). "Vietnam, S. Korea to clash in first AFF-EAFF Champions Trophy". VnExpress. Retrieved 31 January 2019.
- Khương Xuân (19 February 2019). "Hủy trận đấu giữa đội tuyển Việt Nam và Hàn Quốc trong năm 2019" [Cancel the match between Vietnam and Korea teams in 2019] (in Vietnamese). Tuổi Trẻ. Retrieved 20 February 2019.
- "Vietnam friendly against RoK may be delayed until 2020". Voice of Vietnam. Vietnam Net. 21 February 2019. Retrieved 1 April 2019.
- "Vietnam edge Malaysia for title". Asian Football Confederation. 15 December 2018. Retrieved 31 January 2019.