AFL Rising Star
|AFL Rising Star|
|2017 AFL Rising Star|
|Sponsored by||National Australia Bank (2002–)
|Currently held by||Andrew McGrath (Essendon)|
|Network||Fox Footy (2013–)
Seven Network (1993–2001, 2012)
Network Ten (2002–2009)
One HD (2010–2011)
The NAB AFL Rising Star award is given annually to a standout young player in the Australian Football League (AFL). The first award was made in 1993. Since 2007, the winner has been presented with the Ron Evans Medal. It was originally known as the Norwich Rising Star award due to sponsorship reasons from 1993 to 1999, Ansett sponsored the award in 2000 and 2001 and the National Australia Bank (NAB) has been the major sponsor since 2002.
Eligibility and nominations
Every round, an Australian Football League rising star nomination is given to a standout young player who performed well during that particular round. To be eligible to be nominated for the award, a player must be younger than 21 years of age on 1 January of the award year and have played 10 or fewer senior games before the beginning of the season. A player who is suspended1 during the season is not eligible to win the award but is still eligible for nomination.
At the end of the season, nine AFL personalities (typically administrators and All-Australian team selectors) vote for five of the nominees, with their top selections earning five votes, their second selection earning four votes, etc. The player who receives the most votes is the winner. The current selection panel includes AFL CEO Gillon McLachlan, AFL Football Operations Manager Mark Evans, AFL National Talent Manager Kevin Sheehan and former players Kevin Bartlett, Luke Darcy, Danny Frawley, Glen Jakovich, Cameron Ling, Matthew Richardson and Warren Tredrea.
The winners of the AFL Rising Star award have been:
It is possible for a player to be nominated in multiple years, as long as they still satisfy the age and games played qualification rules in each year. So far ten players have been nominated twice.
- Duncan Kellaway (Richmond) – 1993 / 1994
- Craig Callaghan (Fremantle) – 1995 / 1996
- Michael Braun (West Coast) – 1997 / 1998
- Luke Power (Brisbane Lions) – 1998 / 1999
- Nathan Jones (Melbourne) – 2006 / 2007
- Mark LeCras (West Coast) – 2006 / 2007
- Michael Hurley (Essendon) – 2009 / 2010
- Jordan Gysberts (Melbourne) – 2010 / 2011
- Sam Blease (Melbourne) – 2011 / 2012
- Orazio Fantasia (Essendon) – 2015 / 2016
|Greater Western Sydney||16||0|
Correct to the end of the 2017 season
Most nominations in a season
Achievements of winners
Rising Star winners in a premiership year
Rising star and premiership player
- Ben Cousins – 1996 Rising Star, 2006 AFL premiership
- Michael Wilson – 1997 Rising Star, 2004 AFL premiership
- Dan Hannebery – 2010 Rising Star, 2012 AFL premiership
- Chris Scott – 1994 Rising Star, 2001 and 2002 AFL premierships
- Byron Pickett – 1998 Rising Star, 1999 and 2004 AFL premierships
- Adam Goodes – 1999 Rising Star, 2005 and 2012 AFL premierships
- Joel Selwood – 2007 Rising Star, 2007, 2009, and 2011 AFL premierships
- Sam Mitchell – 2003 Rising Star, 2008 captain, 2013, 2014, and 2015 AFL premierships
Rising Star and Leigh Matthews Trophy
- Ben Cousins (West Coast) – 1996 Rising Star, 2005 Leigh Matthews Trophy
- Nick Riewoldt (St Kilda) – 2002 Rising Star, 2004 Leigh Matthews Trophy
Rising Star and Brownlow Medal
- Nathan Buckley (Brisbane Bears/Collingwood) – 1993 Rising Star, 2003 Brownlow medallist
- Adam Goodes (Sydney) – 1999 Rising Star, 2003 & 2006 Brownlow medallist
- Ben Cousins (West Coast) – 1996 Rising Star, 2005 Brownlow medallist
- Sam Mitchell (Hawthorn) - 2003 Rising Star, 2012 Brownlow medallist
Rising Star and Norm Smith Medal
- Nathan Buckley (Brisbane Bears/Collingwood) – 1993 Rising Star, 2002 Norm Smith medallist
- Byron Pickett (North Melbourne/Port Adelaide) – 1998 Rising Star, 2004 Norm Smith medallist
- 1.^ Under the 2005–2014 match review panel system, a player was ineligible if he was given a base sanction of 100 or more demerit points by the tribunal or match review panel, equivalent to a one-week suspension. Under some circumstances, a player could reduce a penalty from a one-week suspension (125 demerit points) to a reprimand without suspension (92.75 points) by accepting a 25% reduction with an early guilty plea; as the base points sanction in this case exceeds 100, he would become ineligible for the award, despite not being suspended. This was the same eligibility criterion used in the Brownlow Medal. Since 2015, if a player is suspended for more than one match after an early plea or tribunal case, then he is ineligible to win the award.
- "NAB AFL Rising Star—How does the AFL Rising Star Award work?". AFL.com.au. Bigpond. Retrieved 23 July 2015.
- "Norwich Rising Star". Football Record (Round 1): 5. 1993.
- "NAB AFL Rising Star—Who is eligible?". AFL.com.au. Bigpond. Retrieved 23 July 2015.
- Lord, Sam (3 September 2014). "Rising Star anyone's guess". lions.com.au. Bigpond. Retrieved 23 July 2015.
- Lovett, Michael, ed. (February 2015). AFL Record Season Guide 2015. Melbourne, Victoria: AFL Media. pp. 603–606.
- "Docker Rhys Palmer wins 2008 Rising Star award". Perth Now. News Corp Australia. 2 September 2008. Retrieved 23 July 2015.
- Holmesby, Luke (2 September 2009). "Rich wins rising star". AFL.com.au. BigPond. Retrieved 23 July 2015.
- Brodie, Will (1 September 2010). "Swan Hannebery wins Rising Star Award". The Age. Fairfax Media. Retrieved 23 July 2015.
- Windley, Matt (8 September 2011). "Dyson Heppell takes out NAB Rising Star award". Herald Sun. News Corp Australia. Retrieved 23 July 2015.
- Holmesby, Luke; Twomey, Callum (5 September 2012). "Talia claims Rising Star". AFL.com.au. BigPond. Retrieved 23 July 2015.
- Bowen, Nick (4 September 2013). "O'Meara named Rising Star". AFL.com.au. BigPond. Retrieved 23 July 2015.
- Phelan, Jennifer (3 September 2014). "Lion Lewis Taylor crowned the 2014 NAB AFL Rising Star in closest ever count". AFL.com.au. BigPond. Retrieved 23 July 2015.
- King, Travis (9 September 2015). "Hogan wins the 2015 NAB AFL Rising Star award". AFL.com.au. Bigpond. Retrieved 9 September 2015.
- Lane, Samantha (6 September 2016). "Callum Mills wins 2016 AFL Rising Star award". The Age. Fairfax Media. Retrieved 6 September 2016.
- "AFL Rising Star 2017: Andrew McGrath claims award from Ryan Burton and Sam Powell-Pepper". Fox Sports Australia. 1 September 2017. Retrieved 1 September 2017.
- "AFL Rising Star Award, 1993–2015". Footystats. Retrieved 23 July 2015.
- King, Travis (25 November 2014). "No more demerit points as AFL aims for simpler MRP". AFL.com.au. Bigpond. Retrieved 23 July 2015.