AI for Good
|AI for Good|
|Begins||May 4, 2020|
|Ends||May 8, 2020|
|Venue||ITU, Palace of Nations|
|Next event||May 4, 2020|
|Organised by||ITU, UN|
AI for Good is a United Nations platform, centered around annual Global Summits, that fosters the dialogue on the beneficial use of Artificial Intelligence, by developing concrete projects. The impetus for organizing global summits that are action oriented, came from existing discourse in artificial intelligence (AI) research being dominated by research streams such as the Netflix Prize (improve the movie recommendation algorithm).  The AI for Good series aims to bring forward Artificial Intelligence research topics that contribute towards more global problems, in particular through the Sustainable Development Goals, while at the same time avoiding typical UN style conferences where results are generally more abstract. The fourth AI for Good Global Summit will be held from 4-8 May 2020 in Geneva, Switzerland.
Several related terms have been used to further categorize AI for Good and AI for Good applications. These include AI for Earth, referring specifically to environmental applications; Humanitarian AI, referring to applications for humanitarian ends; and AI for Healthcare.
Global Summit 2019
The third AI for Good Global Summit took place from 28 May to 31 May, with several Day 0 workshops and VIP events having taken place on May 27th. Some of the speakers included:
- Ray Kurzweil
- Cedric Villani
- Yoshua Bengio
- Anousheh Ansari
- Yves Daccord
- Vladimir Kramnik
- Klaus-Robert Müller
- Jean-Philippe Courtois
- Amir Ansari
- Francis Gury
- Petteri Taalas
- Houlin Zhao
- Soumya Swaminathan
- Eileen Donahoe
- Francesca Rossi
Global Summit 2018
The second AI for Good Global Summit took place from 15 to 17 May 2018 at the ITU headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland and generated 35 AI project proposals including many the Focus Group on AI 4 Health (FG-AI4H) in partnership with WHO. Speakers included:
- Roger Penrose
- Liu Yang (astronaut)
- Samantha Cristoforetti
- António Guterres
- Michael Møller
- Tedros Adhanom
- Mukhisa Kituyi
- Bill Peduto
- Stuart J. Russell
- Thomas Wiegand
- Huw Price
- Stephen Kelly
- H.E. Ahmed Al Theneyan
- U.N. Envoy on Youth Jayathma Wickramanayake
Global Summit 2017
- Pedro Domingos
- Fei-Fei Li
- Gary Marcus
- Stuart J. Russell
- Jürgen Schmidhuber
- Rupert Stadler
- Manuela M. Veloso
In order to further promote Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning research that advance the achieving of the Sustainable Development Goals, an AI Repository was created, which includes AI for Good projects and examples.
- "AI for Good 2018". 17 May 2018. Retrieved 1 June 2018.
- Butler, Declan (2017-06-06). "AI summit aims to help world's poorest". Nature. 546 (7657): 196–197. doi:10.1038/546196a. ISSN 0028-0836.
- "How Can We Optimize AI for the Greatest Good, Instead of Profit?". www.technologyreview.com. Retrieved 2018-06-29.
- Society, National Geographic. "RFP: AI for Earth Innovation". www.nationalgeographic.org. Retrieved 2019-03-10.
- "Microsoft AI for Earth". www.microsoft.com. Retrieved 2019-03-10.
- "AI for Humanitarian Action". www.microsoft.com. Retrieved 2019-03-10.
- "Humanitarian AI (Cambridge, MA)". Meetup. Retrieved 2019-03-10.
- Wang, Yongjun; Shen, Haipeng; Dong, Qiang; Wang, Yilong; Ma, Sufeng; Li, Hao; Dong, Yi; Zhi, Hui; Jiang, Yong (2017-12-01). "Artificial intelligence in healthcare: past, present and future". Stroke and Vascular Neurology. 2 (4): 230–243. doi:10.1136/svn-2017-000101. ISSN 2059-8688. PMC 5829945.
- "Day 1, 28 May 2019 Programme". AI for Good Global Summit. Retrieved 2019-05-28.
- "ITU annual global summit generates 35 pioneering AI for Good proposals | OpenGovAsia". www.opengovasia.com. Retrieved 2018-06-29.
- Bradley, Simon. "AI has 'enormous' potential to transform health sector". SWI swissinfo.ch. Retrieved 2018-06-29.
- "An AI can now tell how malnourished a child is just from a photo | New Scientist". www.newscientist.com. Retrieved 2018-06-29.
- ITU (2018-10-02). "Artificial Intelligence for Health: ITU and WHO call for proposals". ITU News. Retrieved 2019-06-21.
- "Meet the Experts". www.itu.int. Retrieved 2 June 2018.
- "AI for Good Global Summit 15-17 May 2018, Geneva - YouTube". YouTube. Retrieved 2018-07-02.
- "The impact of Artificial Intelligence". www.itu.int. Retrieved 2018-07-03.
- "AI for Good Global Summit – Speakers". ITU. Retrieved 2 June 2018.
- ITU. AI for Good Global Summit 2017 Report. ITU (Report). Retrieved 25 June 2018.
- "AI for Good - YouTube". YouTube. Retrieved 2018-07-02.
- "AI Repository". www.itu.int. Retrieved 2018-06-29.
- ITU (2018-04-25). "Tell the world about your AI for Good project on ITU's AI Repository". ITU News. Retrieved 2018-06-29.
- Official website
- Official YouTube Channel
- AI for Good 2018 event page
- AI for Good 2017 event page[permanent dead link]
- AI for Good 2017 report
- ITU Journal: ICT Discoveries - Artificial Intelligence Special Edition
|This United Nations-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|