AK-104 Bottom, AK-103 Top
|Place of origin||Russia|
|Used by||See Users|
|Wars||Syrian Civil War|
3.0 kg (6.6 lb) empty|
3.2 kg (7.1 lb) with empty magazine
|Length||824 mm (32.4 in) with stock extended / 586 mm (23.1 in) with stock folded|
|Barrel length||314 mm (12.4 in)|
|Action||Gas-actuated, rotating bolt|
|Rate of fire||600 rounds/min|
|Muzzle velocity||670 m/s (2,200 ft/s)|
|Effective firing range||500 m (550 yd)|
|Feed system||30 round detachable magazine|
|Sights||Iron sights, there is a dove-tail side rail for optical and night sights|
The AK-104 is a shortened carbine version of the AK-103 rifle. The AK-102, AK-105, and AK-104 are very similar in design, the only difference being the caliber and corresponding magazine type. The AK-104 is chambered to fire 7.62×39mm ammunition.
Compared to the AK-74M, AK-101, and AK-103, which are full-size rifles of similar design, the AK-102, 104, and 105 feature shortened barrels that make them a middle ground between a full rifle and the more compact AKS-74U. However, the AK-104 also features a solid, side-folding polymer stock, unlike the shorter, skeleton-stocked AKS-74U. The AK-104 uses an adjustable notched rear tangent iron sight calibrated in 100 m (109 yd) increments from 100 to 500 m (109 to 547 yd). The front sight is a post adjustable for elevation in the field. Horizontal adjustment is done by the armory before issue. The AK-104 has a muzzle booster derived from the AKS-74U.
Protective coatings ensure excellent corrosion resistance of metal parts. Forearm, magazine, butt stock and pistol grip are made of high strength plastic.
- Venezuela: Produced under license by CAVIM alongside the AK-103.
- Syria: A batch of AK-104's have been delivered to Syria's Interior Ministry "Anti-Terrorism" Police in the Eastern Ghouta front in Rif Dimashq.
- "фициальный сайт группы предприятий "ИЖМАШ"". Archived from the original on 21 February 2014. Retrieved 5 October 2014.
- Modern Firearms - AK-102/104/105. World.guns.ru (2011-01-24). Retrieved on 2011-10-12.
- "фициальный сайт группы предприятий "ИЖМАШ"". Archived from the original on 14 April 2014. Retrieved 5 October 2014.
- "Cavim inicia entrega de fusiles de asalto Kalashnikov AK-103 a la Fuerza Armada de Venezuela". Infodefensa.com. 3 June 2013. Retrieved 5 October 2014.