ALCO Century 420
|ALCO Century 420|
Arkansas and Missouri Railroad 68, an ALCO C420
The ALCO Century 420 is a four-axle, 2,000 horsepower (1,491 kW) diesel-electric locomotive of the road switcher type. 131 were built between June 1963 and August 1968. Cataloged as a part of ALCO's "Century" line of locomotives, the C420 was intended to replace the earlier RS-32 model.
Since 2005, roughly 30% of C420 production exists. All units ordered by Mississippi Export, New York, Chicago & St. Louis Railroad ("Nickel Plate"), and Piedmont & Northern Railway have been scrapped.
The two units delivered to the Piedmont & Northern were the first of the Phase II units.
Phase break down: http://www.calclassic.com/alco/century.htm
- Lehigh Valley Railroad 405 is currently operating in Scranton, Pennsylvania, as Delaware Lackawanna Railroad 405.
- Lehigh Valley Railroad 408 is at the Southern Appalachia Railway Museum (Oak Ridge, Tennessee) as VLIX 2064.
- Lehigh Valley Railroad 414 is on the Delaware Lackawanna Railroad (Scranton, Pennsylvania).
- Long Island Rail Road 220 is at the Yucatan RR Museum as NdeM 220.
- Louisville & Nashville Railroad 1310 is at the Southern Appalachia Railway Museum (Oak Ridge, Tennessee).
- Louisville & Nashville Railroad 1315 is at the Southern Appalachia Railway Museum (Oak Ridge, Tennessee).
- NdeM 5700 is at the Yucatan RR Museum.
- Seaboard Air Line Railroad 124 is at the Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad (Independence, Ohio) as their 365.
- Long Island Rail Road 213 is active on the Dakota Southern RR DS paint scheme, same number Mitchell, South Dakota
- Livonia, Avon and Lakeville Railroad ex-DCLR, ESHR, VAMD, LIRR 200, currently in operation.
- Preserved Alco and MLW-Built Centuries. Retrieved on August 25, 2009
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to ALCO C420 locomotives.|
- Sarberenyi, Robert. Alco C420 Original Owners.
|This diesel locomotive-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|