|Molar mass||145.2 kDa|
Clazakizumab (formerly ALD518 and BMS-945429) is an aglycosylated, humanized monoclonal antibody against interleukin-6. It is an investigational drug for cancer and rheumatoid arthritis due to its anti-inflammatory properties.
The relatively long half-life of about 30 days should allow less frequent and subcutaneous injections.
A phase II trial for advanced cancer is due to end in Oct 2009. Results due June 2010. Results from 124 non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) patients were favourable (e.g. 1/10 the weight loss).
|This section is outdated. (December 2015)|
The Phase IIa trial for rheumatoid arthritis has completed with promising results leading to a licensing deal allowing phase III trials. The results are to be presented in June 2010 at the European League Against Rheumatism (EULAR) meeting in Rome.  Results showed that ALD518 in addition to MTX performs markedly better than MTX + placebo with a maximum ACR score, (ACR70, i.e. >70% of joints improved), after 16 weeks .
2014 : A dose ranging phase 2B trial was running.
- Promising Phase IIb Data On Clazakizumab In Patients With Moderate-To-Severe Rheumatoid Arthritis To Be Presented At The 2013 Annual Meeting Of The American College Of Rheumatology
- "Phase 2a study of ALD518 for treatment of non small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) symptoms". June 2010.
- "A phase I, pharmacokinetic (PK), and preliminary efficacy assessment of ALD518, a humanized anti-IL-6 antibody, in patients with advanced cancer.". 2009.
- http://web.archive.org/web/20110708082411/http://www.boliven.com/clinical_trial/NCT00866970 Phase II: "Safety, Efficacy and Pharmacokinetics of ALD518 in Patients With Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer-Related Fatigue and Cachexia"
- http://www.nature.com/scibx/journal/v3/n35/full/scibx.2010.1056.html Inflaming resistance to Tarceva. 2010
- http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00867516 Safety, Efficacy and Pharmacokinetics Study of ALD518 in Patients With Active Rheumatoid Arthritis (ALD518-003)
- "Bristol-Myers Squibb and Alder Biopharmaceuticals Enter Global Agreement on Rheumatoid Arthritis Biologic". 10 Nov 2009.
- http://www.xconomy.com/seattle/2010/03/19/innovation-northwest-wrapup-alder-tekmira-acucela-other-emerging-little-biotechs/ March 2010
- "New Data for Investigational Antibody Blocking IL-6 in Rheumatoid Arthritis Patients to be Presented at Annual Congress of European League Against Rheumatism". June 2010.
- "EULAR 2010 Do not miss." (PDF). 2010.
- "A phase II, double-blind, randomised, placebo-controlled study of BMS945429 (ALD518) in patients with rheumatoid arthritis with an inadequate response to methotrexate". 2012. doi:10.1136/annrheumdis-2011-200704.
- Phase IIB Dose Ranging Study in Subjects With Moderate to Severe Rheumatoid Arthritis
- "Alder Gets $3.5M Milestone as Bristol-Myers Starts Crohn’s Study". 27 Aug 2012.
- Anti-IL-6 Antibody Clazakizumab Is More Potent Than Tocilizumab In Blocking In Vitro and Ex Vivo IL-6-Induced Functions. 2013