ALWD Guide to Legal Citation
ALWD Guide to Legal Citation, formerly ALWD Citation Manual, is a style guide providing a legal citation system for the United States, compiled by the Association of Legal Writing Directors. Its first edition was published in 2000, under editor Darby Dickerson. Its sixth edition, under editor Coleen M. Barger, was released in May 2017.
It primarily competes with the Bluebook style, a system developed by the law reviews at Harvard, Yale, University of Pennsylvania, and Columbia. Citations in the two formats are roughly similar. However, ALWD differs from Bluebook in one key respect: Under the Bluebook system, the type styles used in citations found in academic legal articles (always footnoted) are very different from those used in citations within court documents (always cited inline). While the ALWD system follows the standard convention of footnotes within academic articles and inline citations in court documents, it rejects Bluebook's insistence on using different type styles in the two classes of documents. The ALWD type style is identical to that used in the Bluebook system for citations within court documents.
Four U.S. jurisdictions have adopted ALWD:
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- United States District Court for the District of Montana
- This court specifically accepts either ALWD or Bluebook.
- United States Bankruptcy Court, Montana
- This court accepts any "nationally recognized citation form", and specifically names the ALWD Citation Manual. It does not mention Bluebook by name, but given its national recognition (it is the dominant legal style guide in the United States), it should be accepted.
- Command Judge Advocate Office at the U.S. Army base on Kwajalein Atoll (leased from the Republic of the Marshall Islands).
In addition to those, 72 law schools and 47 paralegal schools have fully adopted ALWD. Law journals such as Animal Law, NAELA, and Legal Writing have also adopted ALWD.
- "Rules/Addena". Archived from the original on 1 June 2013. Retrieved 6 June 2013.
- "Local Rules of Procedure: United States District Court for the District of Montana" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on September 24, 2006. Retrieved April 8, 2006.
- "LOCAL BANKRUPTCY RULES FOR THE UNITED STATES BANKRUPTCY COURT FOR THE DISTRICT OF MONTANA" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on September 24, 2006. Retrieved April 8, 2006.
- "ALWD Citation Manual adoptions". ALWD. Retrieved 2016-04-22. Law school adoption numbers reported as of December 2002.
- The Bluebook: a Uniform System of Citation
- Oxford Standard for Citation of Legal Authorities (OSCOLA)
- Case citation
- The ALWD Citation Manual Aspen Publishers' dedicated ALWD Citation Manual website.
- Cornell Legal Information Institute, Introduction to Basic Legal Citation, 2006, by Peter Martin.(Discusses differences between the Bluebook and ALWD.)
- Raktas i Bluebook ir ALWD, , 2008, by Tadas Klimas.(Adapts Bluebook and ALWD to Lithuanian texts and sources.)
|This article about a law book of the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a reference book is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|