The official AM² logo.
|Genre||Animation, Manga, Music|
|Venue||Anaheim Convention Center|
The content provided by AM² covers a range typical to anime conventions along with a few less traditional additions. Examples of this content include concerts, Masquerade (costume/talent show), various smaller cosplay events, an AMV contest, an exhibits area/dealer room, an "Artist Alley", GoH and fan panels, workshops, video screenings, tabletop gaming, console gaming, a karaoke, an arcade, and late night dance. Some examples of less common events include a Summer Festival, Maid cafe, and the hosting of a preliminary round of the World Cosplay Summit.
In April 2010, Japanese Pop idol Erina Mano was announced as a guest at Anime Expo for the world release of her acting debut Kaidan Shin Mimibukuro Kaiki. When AX cancelled this appearance, an alternative event was created at the nearby Club Nokia. The premiere was organized by a former PR and marketing contractor who had been terminated from Anime Expo. Additionally, several other people joined the organization who had also left Anime Expo for various reasons.
In addition to Mano-chan's appearance, several other attractions were added. The expanded 1-day event was named Club 2 the Max in reference to the choice of venue. Some of the added attractions included a Maid Cafe, a charity concert & music video shoot by X Japan, and autograph session with Power Rangers stars. Club 2 the Max (aka MAX) was deemed largely successful by its sponsors, who decided to further fund it as an annual convention. MAX announced a name change in November 2010, choosing to be called AM².
The first AM² was held on July 1–3, 2011, the same weekend as Anime Expo 2011 in one of Anime Expo's former locations, the Anaheim Convention Center. This occurred after a hacker modified the convention website stating that convention was cancelled. The convention returned to the venue in 2012 on June 15–17.
|July 1–3, 2011||Anaheim Convention Center
|8000+||JB Blanc, Gashicon, heidi., An Kanon, Kanon Wakeshima, kanonxkanon, Neil Kaplan, Sunao Katabuchi, Reuben Langdon, Masao Maruyama, Kazha, Sadie, SCANDAL, Miho Shimogasa, Sixh., Steve Staley, Shinobu Ichiyanagi Akihito Yamashita|
|June 15–17, 2012||Anaheim Convention Center
|14,000+||Quinton Flynn, Toshihiro Kawamoto, Andrea Libman, Kazha, Hiroshi Nagahama, Putumayo, Sixh., Shinobu Ichiyanagi, Tara Strong.|
- In response to the 2011 Tōhoku earthquake and tsunami, AM² sponsored a charity art auction at Meltdown Comics in West Hollywood, California. The event raised just under $7,500 on behalf of the Japan NGO Earthquake Relief and Recovery Fund.
- AM² Passports included additional benefits including discounts.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to AM².|
- "AM2 Announced 2013 Convention Postponed". Anime News Network. Retrieved 2013-07-24.
- "AM² Programming Schedule". AM2 Convention. AM2 Convention. Retrieved 26 July 2011.
- Anime Expo to Premiere Erina Mano's 1st Lead Film Role, Anime News Network, 30 April 2010, retrieved 28 March 2011
- "J-Pop's Number 1 Idol from Hello! Project to Appear at World Premiere Screening of Kai-Ki: Tales of Terror from Tokyo" (Press release). Anime News Network. 25 May 2010. Retrieved 28 March 2011.
- "Club 2 the Max Changes Name to AM2" (Press release). Anime News Network. 25 May 2010. Retrieved 29 March 2011.
- "AM2 Scores Another Amazing Day with Amazing Performances and Events for Avid Convention Goers". Anime News Network. 3 July 2011. Retrieved 3 July 2013.
- "Southern California's AM2 Goes On Despite Faked Notice". Anime News Network. 20 June 2011. Retrieved 3 July 2013.
- "Save the Date! AM² Proudly Announces 2012 Dates". AM2 Convention. Retrieved 15 February 2012.
- Sheehy, Tim (July 24, 2013). "AM2 2013 is officially postponed". Japanator. Retrieved 4 November 2014.
- "AM² Sets A Record in 1st Year Convention Attendance and Celebrates The End of Its 2011 Event With The All Girl J-Rock Band SCANDAL". AM2 Convention. AM2 Convention. Retrieved 8 July 2011.
- http://www.am2con.org/am²-brings-sweet-treats-to-attendees-with-shan-the-candy-man/ AM2CON, “ AM2 brings Sweet Treats to Attendees with Shan the Candy Man” , AM2con.org, 05/23/2013, retrieved 08/14/2013
- "Information on AM2 2011". Anime Conventions. AnimeCons.com. Retrieved 8 July 2011.
- "AM² 2012". Animenewsnetwork.com. Retrieved 2012-06-18.
- http://widelantern.com/2012/02/sweet-candy-artist-shan-ichiyanagi-at-am2/ Ken Choy, “Sweet: Candy Artist Shan Ichiyangi at AM2”, Wide Lantern.com, 02/08/2012, retrieved 08/14/2013
- "Information on AM2 2012". AnimeCons.com. Retrieved 2012-06-18.
- Melt Comics
- We Heart Japan Press Roundup, We Heart Japan, 27 March 2011, retrieved 29 March 2011
- We Heart Japan Raises Just Under $7,500 for the People of Japan, IGN, 21 March 2011, retrieved 29 March 2011
- http://www.jcie.org/earthquake Japan NGO
- AM² Official Website - Passport Benefits, AM², 21 January 2011, retrieved 29 March 2011