AMAX Information Technologies
|Privately held company|
|Headquarters||Fremont, California, United States|
Software defined networking
Storage area network
Open Compute Project
Big Data Hadoop
High performance computing
Number of employees
AMAX is a privately held open-architecture technology manufacturer based in Fremont, California in the United States. It specializes in innovative and scalable cluster, storage and networking products developed for data center, high performance computing, cloud and big data applications for corporate, scientific, military and government use. AMAX's business model specializes in application-driven designs of server to rack level solutions geared towards customer specifications rather than low mix mass production. As an official Solution Provider of Facebook-driven Open Compute Project (OCP) solutions, AMAX architects solutions based on both traditional and modular Open Compute platforms. AMAX recently announced an Open Switch product based on Broadcom's Fastpath technology geared towards software-defined networking.
Location and facilities
The company was founded in 1979, in Fremont, California, part of the Silicon Valley technology corridor in the United States. The company opened additional branch offices in North America and in Suzhou, Shanghai, China and Ireland.
AMAX announced the grand opening of its European manufacturing facility at Western Business Park in Shannon, Ireland in Jan 2015. The AMAX Ireland location will serve as the European manufacturing facility for AMAX's x86-based server and rack solutions as well as a logistic hub, joining AMAX's headquarters in Fremont, CA in the U.S. as well as its multiple facilities to create a comprehensive global footprint.
The Fremont headquarters is a certified ISO 9001, 14:001, ISO 13485 manufacturing facility which supports both its enterprise solution manufacturing as well as contract manufacturing for original equipment manufacturer (OEM) appliances and custom built systems. OEM projects are based on a turnkey end-to-end process that includes NPI and prototyping services, product life cycle management, custom branding, full-volume manufacturing, customizable QA and test suites, rack-level integration, logistics & inventory management, refurbish services and global support. AMAX recently announced the addition of ISO: 13485: 2003 certification to its US manufacturing operations. This ISO standard specifies the requirements for high quality management systems in designing and manufacturing medical devices. AMAX can now serve more customers in the medical device field while providing additional assurance for current customers within this industry.
- Design and engineer customized platforms for data centers, cloud, big data, high-performance parallel computing and server-to-rack level OEM appliances
- Open architecture solution design including validation of both hardware and software for end-to-end solutions
- Prototyping and mature Kaizen-based manufacturing process
- Professional services for server-to-rack level computing platforms, cloud, big data and high performance computing
- Custom branding – bezels, faceplates, chassis, and custom box packaging
- Manufacturing Process Instructions (MPI) and Process Flows
- 5-Stage Manufacturing Process w/ ISO 9001 manufacturing standards
|This section does not cite any references or sources. (May 2013)|
AMAX recently announced an Open Switch product based on Broadcom's Fastpath technology geared towards software-defined networking.
In 2008, AMAX introduced a line of high performance computing products based on the Nvidia Tesla Personal Supercomputer, with GPU technology. The systems were configured with Nvidia Tesla C1060/C2050/C2070/C2075 cards. Other servers and cluster platforms available are configured with the Nvidia Tesla M2075/M2090/K10/K20/K40.
In 2012, AMAX launched a turnkey cluster product based on Apache Hadoop named the PHAT-Data (Peta-scale Hadoop Analytics Technology). In August 2012, the PHAT-Data was awarded gold as the Best New Product of the Year in Hardware from the Stevie Awards. In a subsequent collaboration with Mellanox, STec, Inc. and Zettaset, AMAX added PHAT-Data 40G to the PHAT-Data Hadoop cluster product line which would be a performance-oriented hadoop cluster featuring SSDs and 40G networking.
In 2012, the company also introduced a line of NAS (Network Attached Storage) appliances compatible with Microsoft Windows Storage Server 2012, and was listed as a Microsoft Gold Certified Partner to provide these storage systems in North America.
In 2013, AMAX was chosen as one of the Solution Provider for the Open Compute Project (initiated by Facebook) and introduces a full turn-key Open Rack Data Center platform that leverages the latest open compute design concepts.
In 2014, the CloudMax Converged Infrastructure product was launched, a turnkey cloud and data center solution featuring fully integrated compute, networking and storage components. The CloudMax converged solution also featured OpenStack for the Converged Cloud Infrastructure OS and Open Switch (SDN) solutions. This product was distinct on its ability to be architecture using traditional server architecture or Open Compute architecture. In April 2014, the CloudMax was awarded as winner of the Intel Server Innovation Award at the Intel Solution Summit 2014. Also in the following year, the CloudMax also received an award for Best of VMworld 2014 for Private Cloud that was announced during VMworld 2014 in San Francisco.
In 2014, AMAX introduced a line of CPU-based computing solutions built upon the latest generation of Intel Xeon processor E5-2600 V3 product family.
In 2014, AMAX announced on Supercomputing 2014 (SC14) show in New Orleans, LA, the ClusterMax™ GPU cluster and ServMax™ GPU server platforms with new NVIDIA® Tesla® K80 GPU accelerator board.
In 2014, AMAX introduced the ServMax™ Open CloudServer (OCS) data center solution based on the latest Microsoft Open Cloud Server version 2 specifications.
- The security technology company McAfee awarded AMAX as their Supplier of the Year in 2010.
- AMAX's PHAT-Data Apache Hadoop Cluster was awarded Best New Product or Service of the Year from the Stevie Awards in 2012
- AMAX's PHAT-Data Apache Hadoop Cluster was awarded with the Innovated Solution Award from Ingram Micro's Systems ArchiTECHs in 2013.
- AMAX’s CloudMax Converged Cloud Infrastructure was awarded Winner of the Intel Server Innovation Award from Intel Solutions Summit 2014.
- AMAX's CloudMax Converged Cloud Infrastructure was awarded winner of the Best of VMworld 2014 for Private Cloud.
- AMAX Launches Operations in Shanghai, China
- "AMAX Celebrates Grand Opening of Ireland Manufacturing Facility". PRWeb. Retrieved 2015-01-19.
- "AMAX's OEM Appliance Manufacturing". Amax.com. Retrieved 2010-10-18.
- "AMAX Awarded ISO 13485: 2003 Certification". Yahoo Finance. Retrieved 2014-12-15.
- AMAX Launches Personal Supercomputer - HPCwire
- "Where to Buy". Nvidia.com. Retrieved 2010-10-18.
- "Amax moves from HPC clusters to cloud stacks - Half-rack private cloud for SMBs". theregister.co.uk. Retrieved 2011-04-25.
- "The International Business Awards: AMAX PHAT-Data". Stevie Awards, Inc. Retrieved 2014-06-25.
- "Windows Storage Server 2012 - Learn How to Buy.". Microsoft. Retrieved 2012-09-11.
- "Solution Providers » Open Compute Project.". opencompute.org. Retrieved 2013-11-14.
- "Intel Technology Provider Blog.". Intel. Retrieved 2014-06-24.
- "Xeon 'Grantley': 12 New Servers With Intel's Fastest Chip Yet.". CRN. Retrieved 2014-09-18.
- "AMAX to Support New NVIDIA Tesla K80 Dual-GPU Accelerators in ClusterMax(TM) Cluster and ServMax(TM) Server Platforms". Yahoo Finance. Retrieved 2014-11-17.
- "AMAX to Introduce Microsoft Open CloudServer (OCS) v2 to HPC Community". Wallstreet Online. Retrieved 2014-11-18.
- AMAX Wins Prestigious Supplier of the Year 2010 Award From McAfee
- "Best New Product or Service of the Year - Hardware". The Stevie Awards. Retrieved 2012-09-07.
- "Partner Awards at System ArchiTECHS Fall 2013". Ingram Micro. Retrieved 2011-11-14.
- "AMAX Wins Intel's Server Innovation Award for Converged Cloud Infrastructure Platform.". Yahoo! Finance. Retrieved 2014-06-23.
- "Private Cloud Computing Technologies 2014 winners - The Best of VMworld 2014 Awards' winners". TechTarget. Retrieved 2014-08-26.