LMS Imagine.Lab Amesim
Modelling and Simulation with LMS Imagine.Lab Amesim
|Developer(s)||Siemens PLM Software|
LMS Imagine.Lab Amesim 15
|Available in||English, Japanese, Chinese|
|Type||modeling, simulation, Graphical User Interface|
|Website||LMS Imagine.Lab Amesim website|
LMS Imagine.Lab Amesim is a commercial simulation software for the modeling and analysis of multi-domain systems. It is part of systems engineering domain and falls into the mechatronic engineering field.
The software package is a suite of tools used to model, analyze and predict the performance of mechatronics systems. Models are described using nonlinear time-dependent analytical equations that represent the system’s hydraulic, pneumatic, thermal, electric or mechanical behavior. Compared to 3D CAE modeling this approach gives the capability to simulate the behavior of systems before detailed CAD geometry is available, hence it is used earlier in the system design cycle or V-Model.
To create a simulation model for a system, a set of libraries is used, they contain pre-defined components for different physical domains. The icons in the system have to be connected and for this purpose each icon has ports, which have several inputs and outputs. Causality is enforced by linking the inputs of one icon to the outputs of another icon (and vice versa).
LMS Amesim libraries are written in C language and also support Modelica which is a non-proprietary, object-oriented, equation based language to model complex physical systems containing, e.g., mechanical, electrical, electronic, hydraulic, thermal, control, electric power or process-oriented subcomponents. The software runs on most UNIX platforms (particularly under Linux) and on Windows platforms.
LMS Imagine.Lab Amesim 15 was released in July 2016.
LMS Imagine.Lab Amesim is a part of the Siemens PLM Software Simcenter portfolio. This combines 1D simulation, 3D CAE and physical testing with intelligent reporting and data analytics. This portfolio is intended to provide engineers and analysts with a comprehensive solution for development of complex products that include smart systems, through implementing a Predictive Engineering Analytics approach.
The LMS Imagine.Lab Amesim software was developed by Imagine S.A. a company which was acquired in June 2007 by LMS International, which itself was acquired in November 2012 by Siemens AG. The Imagine S.A. company was created in 1987 by Dr Michel Lebrun from the University Claude Bernard in France, to control complex dynamic systems coupling hydraulic servo-actuators with finite-elements mechanical structures. The initial engineering project involved the deck elevation of the sinking Ekofisk North Sea petroleum platforms. In the early 1990s, the association with Pr C. W. Richards, coming from the University of Bath in England, led to the first commercial release of LMS Amesim in 1995 which was then dedicated to fluid control systems. LMS Imagine.Lab Amesim is used by companies in the automotive, aerospace and other advanced manufacturing industries.
In its use, LMS Imagine.Lab Amesim is quite similar to Simulink.
LMS Imagine.Lab Amesim is a multi-domain software. It allows to link between different physics domains (hydraulic, pneumatic, mechanic, electrical, thermal, electromechanical). It is based on the Bond graph theory.
The modelling of a system is done in four steps:
- sketch mode: in which the different components are linked,
- submodel mode: in which the physical submodel associated to each component is chosen,
- parameter mode: in which the parameters for each submodel are set,
- run mode: in which the simulation is started and results analyzed.
Between the submodel and parameter mode, the LMS Amesim model is compiled. Under the Windows platform, LMS Imagine.Lab Amesim works with the free Gcc compiler, which is provided with the software. It also works with the Microsoft Visual C++ compiler and its free Express edition. Since the version 4.3.0 LMS Amesim uses the Intel compiler on all platforms.
LMS Imagine.Lab Amesim features:
- Platform Facilities
- Analysis Tools
- Optimization, Robustness, DOE
- Solvers and Numerics
- Software Interfaces
- generic co-simulation (to be used to co-simulate with any software coupled to LMS Amesim), functional mock-up interface (export)
- MIL/SIL/HIL and Real-Time
- Simulator Scripting
- scripting functions to pilot the simulations (from Microsoft Excel thanks to the provided Visual Basic subroutines, from MATLAB, Scilab, Python), circuit API (to build your own LMS Amesim-based applications in C and in Python version), script file generator (circuit API file automatically written from the existing model)
- own customized pre and post-processing tools with python, script caller assistant, editor of parameters group, app designer
- Modelica Platform
- support of the Modelica modeling language, and support of subsets of the Modelica Standard Library (MSL) with dedicated tools: modelica editor, modelica import assistant, modelica compiler, modelica assembly
- 1D/3D CAE
- CAD2AME (an integrated CAD reading, processing, parameter extracting and sketch generation tool), CFD software co-simulation (STAR-CCM+, Fluent, CFX, STAR-CD, Eole, ...), FEA import of reduced modal basis with pre-defined frontier nodes, MBS software cosimulation and import/export (LMS Virtual.Lab Motion or MSC.Adams)
- The user can develop his own submodels, by assembling different standard submodels (supercomponent) with AMECustom, or by programming them in C or in Fortran with AMESet. The C source code of most of the standard submodels are provided allowing the user to start from this base to fit them to his needs.
To create a system simulation model in LMS Amesim, components from different physical domains are assembled. The physical libraries have been developed through engineering services and partnerships with customers. In version 15, LMS Amesim offered up to 40 libraries to answer various application requirements.
Some LMS Imagine.Lab Amesim libraries:
- Libraries: electrical basics, electromechanical, electric motors & drives, electrical static conversion, electrochemistery, energy storage, fuel cells, automotive electrics, aircraft electrics
- Components: resistor, inductor, capacitor, transformer, battery, alternators, synchronuous machines, induction machines, direct current machines, generators, direct Park, reverse Park, rectifiers, inverters, choppers, gradators, wires, fuses, relays, fans, blowers, lamps, window lift systems, magnetic coils, airgaps, leakages, piezoelectric actuators, ...
- Libraries: 1-D mechanical (linear and rotary), planar mechanical, 3-D mechanical, cam and followers, finite-elements import (FEM), powertrain, vehicle dynamics
- Components: masses, springs, dampers, cams, rocker-arms, followers, rack and pinion, screw nut, worm gear, levers, gears, bearings, seals, couplings, clutches, chassis, tires, ...
- Libraries: hydraulic, hydraulic component design, hydraulic resistance, filling, pneumatic, pneumatic component design, gas mixture, moist air
- Components: tanks, volumes, orifices, pressure drops, bends, expansions, contractions, T-junction, bearings, poppets, spools, pistons, jacks, diaphragms, leakages, sealings, ... hydraulic/pneumatic pipes with wave effects and water-hammer effect, flexible hoses, speed of sound, shocks, ... fluids and gases properties database, ...
- Libraries: thermal, thermal-hydraulic, thermal-hydraulic component design, thermal pneumatic, aircraft fuel systems, two-phase flow, air conditioning, cooling system, heat exchanger
- Components: thermal capacities, conduction, convection, radiation, exchangers, radiators, condensers, pumps, thermostats, compressors
- IC Engine:
- Libraries: IFP drive, IFP engine, IFP exhaust, CFD-1D, IFP C3D
- Components: drivers, gearboxes, crankshaft, camshaft, cylinder, combustion, wall heat exchanges, air path, engine valves, compressors, turbochargers, pipes, injectors, after-treatment, catalyst, ...
- Aerospace & Defense:
- Libraries: Aeronautics and Space, Aircraft Fuel System, Rocket Liquid Propulsion, Aircraft Electrics
- Components: flight mission, atmosphere models, flight dynamics (longitudinal, lateral, 6DOF), propellers (use of XFOIL to compute lift and drag characteristics), jet engine thrust models, fuel tanks with acceleration, orifices, flap valves, LOx and LH2 pumps/turbines, rocket combustion chamber, nozzle, electric VFG, transformer rectifiers, three-phase loads, DC generic loads ...
LMS Imagine.Lab Amesim Suite:
- LMS Amesim:
- Core product for modeling and simulation of dynamic systems
- Customization of models and IP protection
- to adapt and customize the appearance of models, create and publish ready-to-use catalogs, facilitate exchange of models, encryption capability
- Run of existing models
- run-only version, adapted for non-experts, to share validated models, standard LMS Amesim solvers and advanced features
- Development of new components
- to capitalize the know-how, open platform, integrated development tool for creating new submodels
- LMS Imagine.Lab Sysdm:
- The data management tool
- to manage system data originating from LMS Amesim and other system simulation tools, providing a collaborative environment for Model-Based Systems Engineering data
- LMS Imagine.Lab System Synthesis:
- The system architecture and configuration tool
- to configure and integrate models and controls into a logical view of the entire system for simulation
Education and Research
LMS Imagine.Lab Amesim is used by engineering schools and universities. It is also the reference framework for various Research projects in Europe.
|AMESim 2.5||v250||April 1999|
|AMESim 3.0||v300||June 2000|
|AMESim 3.5||v350||May 2001|
|AMESim 4.0||v400||March 2002|
|AMESim 4.1||v410||April 2003|
|AMESim 4.2||v420||September 2004|
|AMESim 4.3||v430||October 2005|
|AMESim Rev 7A||v700||April 2007|
|AMESim Rev 7B||v710||December 2007|
|AMESim Rev 8A||v800||June 2008|
|AMESim Rev 8B||v810||December 2008|
|AMESim Rev 9||v900||November 2009|
|AMESim Rev 10||v1000||November 2010|
|AMESim Rev 11||v1100||November 2011|
|AMESim Rev 12||v1200||March 2013|
|AMESim Rev 13||v1300||December 2013|
|LMS Imagine.Lab Amesim 14||v1400||February 2015|
|LMS Imagine.Lab Amesim 15||v1501||July 2016|
- "Modelica and the Modelica Association".
- "Siemens PLM Software Simcenter".
- Sanada, K., Richards, C. W., Longmore, D. K., Johnston, D. N. and Burrows, C. R. (1993). Practical requirements for modelling the dynamics of hydraulic pipelines. 2nd JHPS International Symposium on Fluid Power.
- Tilley, D. G., Richards, C. W., Tomlinson, S. P. and Burrows, C. R. (1991). Role of simulation in the design of fluid power systems. IFAC Symposium on Computer Aided Design in Control Systems.
- Zhang Dong-xu; Zeng Xiao-hua; Wang Peng-yu; Wang Qing-nian (2009). Co-simulation with Amesim and MATLAB for differential dynamic coupling of Hybrid Electric Vehicle. Intelligent Vehicles Symposium, 2009 IEEE.
- Guizhi Sun; Minxiang Wei; Jinju Shao; Man Pei (2007). Automotive Powertrain Modeling and Simulation Based on Amesim. SAE Asia Pacific Automotive Engineering Conference.
- CHEN Fei; SUN Ren-yun; CHEN You-rong; SHAN Yu-mei (2009). "Research of Closed Loop Control for CNG Engine Injection Based on Amesim/Simlink". Journal of Xihua University (Natural Science Edition).
- Integration of Physical Amesim Engine Model in Hardware in the Loop Environment, Dedicated to Engine Control Unit Testing. SAE World Congress & Exhibition. 2007.
- LI Kuo,GUO Ying-Qing(College of Power Engineering and Energy,Northwestern Polytechnical University,Xi'an Shanxi 710072,China) (2009). "Application of Amesim in Aero-Power Plant System". Computer Simulation.
- GUO Jun; WU Yafeng; CHU Nisheng (2006). "Application of Amesim in aircraft hydraulic system". Computer Aided Engineering.
- PAN Hui; ZHANG Li-hui (2011). "Application of Amesim in dynamic characteristic simulation of liquid rocket engine system". Journal of Rocket Propulsion.
- Wang Tao Tao Wei(West Branch of Zhejiang University of Technology) (2008). "Amesim-based Motion Simulation and Control of Hydraulic Excavator". Metal Mine.
- "Robust trajectory tracking control of hydraulic excavator bucket". Journal of Jilin University (Engineering and Technology Edition). 2006.
- Zhong Hua Huang; Hong Wei Gao; Ya Xie (2012). "Hybrid Excavator Test Bed Hydraulic Load System Design". Advanced Materials Research. Advanced Designs and Researches for Manufacturing: 1322–1325.