|This article does not cite any references or sources. (January 2011)|
|Motto||Steering Quality Education|
|Chancellor||Mr Efthymios Mitropoulos|
|Vice-Chancellor||Col. Dr. G. Thiruvasagam|
|Location||Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
All India Council for Technical Education(AICTE),
University Grants Commission (UGC), Directorate General of shipping
AMET University, formerly the Academy of Maritime Education (AMET), is an educational institute in India dedicated for maritime education and training. AMET University is situated on the outskirts of the city of Chennai. It is an autonomous engineering and technology oriented institute of higher education in India. It is a Deemed university under section 3 of the University Grants Commission Act, 1956.
It was founded in 1992 as the Academy of Maritime Education and Training, dedicated to maritime studies. In the early years AMET collaborated with international maritime colleges like South Tyneside College, Hull College, Glasgow College of Nautical Sciences etc. During the early stages AMET was affiliated to Birla Institute of Technology Mesra( BIT Ranchi). It was BIT Ranchi who gave certificates to marine engineering, nautical science, GME AND, management students. In 2007 AMET was given university status by the Ministry of HRD. The Department of Naval Architecture was founded in 2007.
- J. Ramachandran is the founder chairman of the university. He is the founder chairman of a social welfare organisation NAESEY. He is head of the Saraswathi Institute of Medical Sciences.
- Mr. Efthimios E. Mitropouloss is the Chancellor
- Col. Dr. G. Thiruvasagam is the vice chancellor.
Board of Advisors
AMET has an international board of advisors. It includes:-
- Ib Fruergaard, Managing Director, Mari-time Solutions, (Singapore) Pte Ltd.
- G. Ramaswamy, Chief Executive Officer, Sea Team Management (India) Pvt.Ltd, Chennai (Frontline Group, Norway).
- Bjorgulf Haukelid,Vice President, Det Norske Veritas, Norway.
- Satoru Kuboshima, President, K-Line Ship Management. Japan
- Baptista Sumbe, President & CEO, Sonangol USA Company, Houston, Texas, USA .
- Rajaish Bajpaee, COO, Bernhard Schulte Shipmanagement, Hong Kong
- Swapan Das Sarma, Director, Teledata Marine Solutions, USA .
- Robert J. Bel, Chief Executive Officer, Archomai Group, U.K (Also on the advisory board of The University of Hull, Logistics Institute, Hull)
- Bjarne Foldager, A.P.Moller Singapore (Pte) Ltd, Singapore .
- L. R. Chary, (FIMarE) Former Executive Director, Shipping Corporation of India Ltd.
Admissions for AMET are based on All India level online exams. The preliminary round of entrance examinations are done online, and the next round is held after shortlisting the candidates at the university campus .
- 24-hour Wi-Fi connection throughout the campus including hostels
- Corporation Bank ATM
- Basketball court
- Volleyball and Kabaddi court
- Swimming pool
- Indoor games hall
- Football court
- On-campus ship
- George T R Campell library
- A.P Mollar auditorium
- Polaris bridge simulator from Kongsberg
- AAVTD Semi indoor badminton court
- Naval Architecture
- Nautical Science
- Marine engineering
- Harbour engineering
- Petroleum engineering
- Maritime Management
- Marine Electrical engineering
- Ocean Science
- electro technical officer course
Short Course for Sailing Marine Engineers
- Marine Mechanical Department
AMET has collaborations with universities and academies in India and abroad. AMET conducts HND programs in collaboration with South Tyneside College (UK) and Glasgow College of Nautical Sciences (UK). The Department Naval architecture has collaboration with the universities of Glasgow and Strathclyde, UK. Amet conducts two B.Sc(Hons) degrees in collaboration with the University of Plymouth, UK. The university has a tie-up with IIT Madras, DNV Academy India, and AP-mollar Denmark.AMET has signed a Memorandum of understanding with World Maritime University on 22 February 2013. Got award as emerging maritime university of the year on July 22nd from shashi tharoor.
|This section does not cite any references or sources. (August 2011)|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Academy of Maritime Education and Training.|