|Traded as||NASDAQ: ON|
Russell 1000 Component
(Chairman of the Board)
Keith D. Jackson
(President & CEO)
(Executive VP & CFO)
|Products||Power & signal management|
Logic, discrete, & custom solutions
|Revenue||US$ 5.54 billion (2017)|
|US$ 680.9 million (2017)|
|US$ 813 million (2017)|
|Total assets||US$ 7.20 billion (2017)|
|Total equity||US$ 2.80 billion (2017)|
Number of employees
|Footnotes / references|
ON Semiconductor is a Fortune 500 semiconductors supplier company. Products include power and signal management, logic, discrete, and custom devices for automotive, communications, computing, consumer, industrial, LED lighting, medical, military/aerospace and power applications. ON Semiconductor runs a network of manufacturing facilities, sales offices and design centers in North America, Europe, and the Asia Pacific regions. Headquartered in Phoenix, Arizona, ON Semiconductor has revenues of $3.907 billion (2016), which puts it among the worldwide top 20 semiconductor sales leaders.
ON Semiconductor was founded in 1999. The company was originally a spinoff of Motorola's Semiconductor Products Sector. It continues to manufacture Motorola's discrete, standard analog, and standard logic devices.
- In April 2000, ON Semiconductor completed the acquisition of Cherry Semiconductor.
- In 2003, ON Semiconductor acquired TESLA SEZAM (manufacturer of semiconductor chips) and TEROSIL (production of silicon) in the Czech Republic. Both of these companies were the successors of the former state-owned company TESLA.
- In May 2006, ON Semiconductor completed the acquisition of LSI Logic Gresham, Oregon Design & Manufacturing Facility.
- In January 2008, ON Semiconductor completed the acquisition of the CPU Voltage and PC Thermal Monitoring Business from Analog Devices, Inc., for $184 million.
- In March 2008, ON Semiconductor completed the acquisition of AMI Semiconductor for $915 million.
- On July 17, 2008, ON Semiconductor Corporation and Catalyst Semiconductor, Inc. announced the acquisition of Catalyst Semiconductor, Inc. by ON Semiconductor Corporation for $115 million. On October 9, 2008, Catalyst Semiconductor, Inc. announced the approval of the acquisition. On October 10, 2008, ON Semiconductor Corporation announced the completion of the acquisition.
- In November 2009, ON Semiconductor completed the acquisition of PulseCore for $17M.
- In December 2009, ON Semiconductor announced the acquisition of California Micro Devices.
- In June 2010, ON Semiconductor completed the acquisition of Sound Design Technologies, Ltd., for $22 million.
- In January 2011, ON Semiconductor completed the acquisition of SANYO Semiconductor.
- In February 2011, ON Semiconductor completed the acquisition of the CMOS Image Sensor Business Unit from Cypress Semiconductor, for $31.4 million
- In May 2014, ON Semiconductor completed the acquisition of Truesense Imaging, Inc.
- In June 2014, ON Semiconductor announced a $400 million deal to acquire California-based Aptina Imaging Corp.
- In July 2014, ON Semiconductor and Fujitsu Semiconductor announced Strategic Partnership (including foundry services agreement and the definitive agreement pursuant to which ON Semiconductor will become a 10% shareholder of Fujitsu’s 8-inch wafer fab in Aizu-Wakamatsu, Japan)
- In July 2015, ON Semiconductor completed the acquisition of Axsem AG.
- In November 2015, ON Semiconductor announced the acquisition of Fairchild Semiconductor.
- In August 2016, ON Semiconductor has entered into a definitive agreement with respect to the divestiture of the Ignition IGBT business to Littelfuse and has also entered into a separate definitive agreement with Littelfuse to sell its transient voltage suppression (“TVS”) diode and switching thyristor product lines, for a combined $104 million in cash.
- In September 2016, ON Semiconductor completed the acquisition of Fairchild Semiconductor.
- In March 2017, ON Semiconductor announced that it is acquiring and licensing mmWave technology for automotive radar applications developed by IBM’s Haifa, Israel, research team. It includes staff, equipment, research facilities and intellectual property.
- In May 2018, ON Semiconductor Acquired Ireland based company - SensL Technologies Ltd.
ON Semiconductor manufactures a variety of products in the following areas:
- Custom: ASICs; Custom Foundry Services; Custom ULP Memory; Custom CMOS Image Sensors; Integrated Passive Devices
- Discrete: Bipolar Transistors; Diodes & Rectifiers; IGBTs & FETs; Thyristors
- Power Management: AC/DC Controllers & Regulators; DC-DC Controllers, Converters, & Regulators; Drivers; Thermal Management; Voltage & Current Management
- Logic: Clock Generation; Clock & Data Distribution; Memory; Microcontrollers; Standard Logic
- Signal Management: Amplifiers & Comparators; Analog Switches; Audio/Video ASSP; Digital Potentiometers; EMI/RFI Filters; Interfaces; Optical, Image, & Touch Sensors
In 2013, the company introduced the industry's highest resolution optical image stabilization (OIS) integrated circuit (IC) for smartphone camera modules.
The company has three segments:
- Analog Solutions Group (ASG)
- Intelligent Sensing Group (ISG)
- Power Solutions Group (PSG)
There are several Solution Engineering Centers (SEC) and Design Centers around the world.
Solution engineering centers
- United States: San Jose, California; Portland, Maine; Detroit, Michigan
- Germany: Munich
- South Korea: Seoul
- China: Shanghai, Shenzhen
- Taiwan: Taipei
- Japan: Osaka, Tokyo
- Slovakia: Piešťany
- United States: Phoenix, Arizona; Santa Clara, California; Longmont, Colorado; Pocatello, Idaho; Lower Gwynedd, Pennsylvania; East Greenwich, Rhode Island; Austin, Texas; Plano, Texas; Lindon, Utah, South Portland
- Canada: Burlington; Waterloo
- Belgium: Mechelen; Oudenaarde
- Czech Republic: Brno; Rožnov pod Radhoštěm
- France: Toulouse
- Germany: Munich
- Ireland: Limerick
- Romania: Bucharest
- Slovakia: Bratislava
- Switzerland: Marin
- India: Bangalore; Noida
- Japan: Aizu; Gifu; Gunma
- South Korea: Seoul, Bucheon
- Philippines: Tarlac City
- Taiwan: Hsinchu
- Canada: Burlington
- United States: Pocatello, Idaho; South Portland, Maine; Mountain Top, Pennsylvania; Gresham, Oregon; Nampa, Idaho; Rochester, New York
- Belgium: Oudenaarde
- Czech Republic: Rožnov pod Radhoštěm
- China: Leshan; Shenzhen; Suzhou
- Japan: Gunma; AIZU; Niigata
- Malaysia: Senawang, Negeri Sembilan
- South Korea: Bucheon
- Philippines: Carmona; Tarlac City; Cebu
- Vietnam: Thuan An, Binh Duong; Bien Hoa, Dong Nai
- In 2016, 2017 and 2018, ON Semiconductor was named in World’s Most Ethical Companies by Ethisphere Institute.
- In 2012, ON Semiconductor won the IR Magazine U.S. Awards in three fields, Best IR by a CEO or chairman for mid cap; No. 56 best company in the U.S. in terms of Investor Relations; No. 3 in Best Investor Relations in technology sector for mid/small cap companies.
- In 2012, based on the company’s efforts in semiconductor, it won the Large Company of the Year Award by IEEE.
- ON Semiconductor won the Hot 100 Electronic products of 2012 and 2009 by EDN magazine.
- In 2000, ON Semiconductor won the Forbes Advertising Excellence best in category Industrial Machinery/Electrical Components.
The company's subsidiary AMI Semiconductor (AMIS) has also won many awards, such as President's Award and Preferred Supplier from Rockwell Collins, Strategic Supplier Award from Emerson Rosemount, Inc., Outstanding Technical Support in New Product Development from Alliant Techsystems.
- Freescale Semiconductor, another Motorola semiconductor spinoff
- List of semiconductor fabrication plants
- "US SEC: Form 10-K ON Semiconductor Corporation". U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission. Retrieved February 22, 2018.
- "PriceSmart". fortune.com. Retrieved 21 April 2017.
- 2016 Annual Report
- "http://www.icinsights.com/news/bulletins/Five-Top20-Semiconductor-Suppliers-To-Show-DoubleDigit-Gains-In-2016-/". www.icinsights.com. Retrieved 2018-05-08. External link in
- "Corporate History" (PDF).
- "O společnosti" [About the company] (in Czech). ON Semiconductor. Retrieved 1 May 2017.
- "On Semi to acquire AMI for $915 million - EE Times". eetimes.com. Retrieved 21 April 2017.
- "ON Semiconductor to Acquire Catalyst Semiconductor, Inc. in an All-Stock Tran..." onsemi.com. Retrieved 21 April 2017.
- "Catalyst Semiconductor Stockholders Approve Acquisition of Catalyst Semiconductor, Inc. by ON Semiconductor Corporation". businesswire.com. Retrieved 21 April 2017.
- "US SEC FORM 8-K Commission File Number 0-21488". corporate-ir.net. Retrieved 21 April 2017.
- "ON Semiconductor Corporation Completes Acquisition of Catalyst Semiconductor,..." onsemi.com. Retrieved 21 April 2017.
- By Shrutika Verma, Reuters. “UPDATE 2-ON Semi to buy California Micro Devices for $108 mln.” December 14, 2009. March 18, 2016.
- "ON Semiconductor Completes Acquisition of Truesense Imaging, Inc". onsemi.com. Retrieved 21 April 2017.
- "ON Semiconductor buys Aptina Imaging for $400 million". azcentral.com. Retrieved 21 April 2017.
- "安森美半导体的ASIC设计方法符合机载系统电子硬件的DO-254标准严格要求". onsemi.com. Retrieved 21 April 2017.
- "AXSEM - RF ICs, RF Microcontrollers, LCD Drivers, RF Modules". axsem.com. Retrieved 21 April 2017.
- By everythingRF. “ON Semiconductor to Acquire Fairchild Semiconductor for $2.4 Billion.” November 19, 2015. Retrieved May 16, 2016.
- By Sam Davis, Power Electronics. “Fairchild Semiconductor Moves ON.” November 30, 2015. Retrieved May 16, 2016.
- "ON Semiconductor Announces Receipt of Regulatory Approval for Acquisition of ..." onsemi.com. Retrieved 21 April 2017.
- EETimes. "ON Semi Deepens Power Stake with Fairchild Acquisition." Sept 21, 2016. Retrieved Jun 20, 2017.
- "ON Semiconductor Expands Automotive Sensing Portfolio with Radar Technology". www.onsemi.com. Retrieved 2017-05-23.
- "ON Semiconductor Acquires SensL Technologies Ltd., Leading Provider of SiPM, SPAD and LiDAR Sensing Products". www.onsemi.com. Retrieved 2018-05-09.
- "ON Semiconductor Introduces Advanced Optical Image Stabilization Solution for Smartphone Camera Modules".
- "Corporate Fact Sheet" (PDF).
- "ON Semiconductor Global Locations".
- "Honorees". Ethisphere® Institute | Good. Smart. Business. Profit.®. Retrieved 2018-05-15.
- "IR Magazine US Awards 2012".
- "ON Semiconductor Corporate Awards".
- "EDN Hot 100 products of 2012: Power and optoelectronics".