Bay Area News Group
|Headquarters||4000 Executive Parkway, Suite 200 San Ramon, California 94583 USA|
Bay Area News Group (BANG) is the largest publisher of daily and weekly newspapers in the San Francisco Bay Area, including its flagship the San Jose Mercury News. A subsidiary of the Denver, Colorado based MediaNews Group, its corporate headquarters is in San Ramon, California and publication offices in San Jose and Walnut Creek, although the Walnut Creek location is scheduled to be closed under a 2011 restructuring. Previously known as ANG (Alameda News Group), the name changed to Bay Area News Group in 2006 after the MediaNews Group bought the Mercury News and Contra Costa Times from McClatchy Co. Most production aspects have now moved to the Mercury News facilities in San Jose, California.
The structure allows the company to share stories between its various newspapers, meaning one reporter can get the story for all the publications.
BANG daily newspapers include the following, most of which are published as local editions of the San Jose Mercury News:
- San Jose Mercury News — the flagship paper of the group
- Contra Costa Times
- Oakland Tribune
- Santa Cruz Sentinel
- The Argus (Fremont)
- The Daily Review (Hayward)
- Marin Independent Journal
- The Reporter (Vacaville)
- Times-Herald (Vallejo)
On August 23, 2011, the company announced the reorganization of 11 of its newspapers, with shuttering of all of its East Bay mastheads under two new publications as of November 2, 2011. The planned merger and publication reorganization was modified in October 2011, when BANG decided to scrap plans to launch the East Bay Tribune and instead consolidate its East Bay newspapers under the Oakland Tribune name. The newspapers to be shuttered and folded into the new publications.
- The Oakland Tribune, Alameda Times-Star, Hayward Daily Review, Fremont Argus and West County Times were scheduled to publish their last editions on November 1, 2011. The following day, subscribers were to get copies of the new Oakland Tribune.
- The Contra Costa Times, San Ramon Valley Times, East County Times, Tri-Valley Herald and San Joaquin Herald were scheduled to become the new The Times.
- The San Mateo Times was scheduled to publish its last issue on November 1, 2011. As of Nov. 2, 2011, subscribers were to get localized versions of the San Jose Mercury News.
- "BAY AREA NEWS GROUP - Overview". Retrieved 2012-09-11.
- "Overview". Bay Area News Group. Archived from the original on 22 July 2011. Retrieved 2011-08-24.
- "Bay Area News Group rebranding plan FAQ". San Jose Mercury News. Retrieved 2011-08-24.
- "Sources: SJ Mercury sold to MediaNews". Palo Alto Weekly. Retrieved 2011-08-24.
- "Overview-Print". Bay Area News Group. Retrieved 2011-08-24.
- "Bay Area News Group makes changes to East Bay papers". San Jose Mercury News. Retrieved 24 August 2011.
- George Avalos. "Bay Area News Group makes changes to East Bay papers". Oakland Tribune. Retrieved 24 August 2011.
- Bay Area News Group. "Area News Group announces rebranding plan". Contra Costa Times. Retrieved 24 August 2011.