Some of this article's listed sources may not be reliable. (December 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Origin||Seoul, South Korea|
AOA (Hangul: 에이오에이; an acronym for Ace of Angels) is a South Korean idol girl group signed under FNC Entertainment. Initially, AOA debuted as an eight-member girlband that consisted of Choa, Jimin, Yuna, Youkyung, Chanmi, Hyejeong, Seol-hyun, and Mina. Currently, AOA is promoting as a six-member idol girl group following Choa's departure, and Youkyung, who was only a part of AOA Black. The group officially debuted by having their debut music stage on August 9, 2012, on M Countdown.
On October 15, 2016, FNC Entertainment released an official statement announcing the departure of Youkyung from the group, following the termination of her contract.
- 1 History
- 2 Members
- 3 Discography
- 4 Filmography
- 5 Tours
- 6 Awards and nominations
- 7 References
- 8 External links
2012: Angel's Story and Wanna Be
AOA started off as a 'transformer' concept, which would appear alternately as a band (with members playing instruments) or as a dance group. Explaining the concept of their debut, FNC revealed that seven members are "full angels": Seolhyunari (Seolhyun), Choaya (Choa), Hyejeong.Linus (Hyejeong), Chanmi T.T (Chanmi), Yunaria (Yuna), Minaring (Mina), and leader Jiminel (Jimin), while Youkyoung (or "Y") is listed as a "half-angel/half-mortal"as she is only a member when the group promotes as a band. This is why AOA call themselves a "7+1" group. "Angel's Story" was leaked on July 28, two days before the official release. The music video for the title track "Elvis" was released on July 30. AOA had their debut stage on August 9 on M Countdown and then Music Bank on August 10. The track was not a success, however.
FNC confirmed that the group would be making a comeback with a second single album "Wanna Be" on October 10, the album cover was released along with the announcement; the album cover depicted the eight members as different fictional characters. Hyejeong, Jimin, Choa, Yuna, Chanmi, Mina, Seolhyun and Youkyung dressed as characters from Kill Bill, Léon, Legally Blonde, Tomb Raider, Harry Potter, Breakfast at Tiffany's, Romeo and Juliet, and The Fifth Element respectively.
In the later half of 2012, it was confirmed that five-member band unit, AOA Black would perform a stage in the first week of promotions for "Get Out". AOA Black made their first comeback appearance on the October 10 broadcast of KM's Music Triangle and performed the band version of "Get Out" for the first time. The band made their second appearance on the October 12 broadcast of Music Bank.
2013: Moya and Red Motion
On July 11, it was announced that AOA Black would be making a comeback with their third single album with the title song "MOYA". The third single album and "MOYA" music video were released on July 26 and AOA Black had their first comeback stage on KBS Music Bank on the same day.
These tracks achieved moderate success. It was in the following year where the group achieved their breakthrough hit and gained much public attention.
2014: Miniskirt, Short Hair and Like a Cat
On January 16, AOA came back with another sexy concept and released their fifth single album (along with a music video) entitled "Miniskirt", it was produced by Brave Brothers, ElephantKingdom and Galactika. With this hit track, AOA achieved immense success. On February 9, AOA celebrated their first music show win on Inkigayo with "Miniskirt".
AOA released their title song, "Short Hair" in their first mini album on June 19. The album ranked No. 1 on different charts and also topped the M Countdown chart in July. "Short Hair" the music video for "Short Hair" ranked eighth on Billboard's "Most Viewed K-pop Videos Around the World" for June. AOA performed the Girls' Generation song "Mr.Mr." with groups BESTie and Girl's Day for the "Half-Year Special" Edition of Music Bank on June 27.
2015: Heart Attack and Ace of Angels
AOA released a Japanese version of Like a Cat on February 25, 2015; the single also came with the Japanese versions of "Elvis" and "Just the Two of Us". On February 2, FNC released the short version music video of "Like a Cat", and it ranked No. 1 on Gayp! views daily and weekly ranking. Like a Cat ranked #6 on Oricon Daily Chart and ranked #1 on Tower Records Shibuya on the first day of its release; it also ranked No. 3 as their peak on Oricon Daily Chart.
AOA's first reality show "Open Up! AOA" premiered on February 26 on portal site Naver. The series consisted of 10 episodes, each 10 minutes long, and aired every Thursday. All eight members, including drummer Youkyung, were on the program. AOA started filming their new variety show with MBC Music called AOA One Fine Day in Nanwan Monkey Island, Hainan, China on April 7, 2015. 'One Fine Day' started broadcasting on June 13, 2015.
In August 2015, the group made their first appearances in the United States performing at KCON 2015 in Los Angeles on August 2 and New York on August 8. In the same month, it was revealed that AOA would make a comeback in Japan with a full-length album, being the first full-length album for AOA to release, featuring 8 of their previous Japanese singles and 3 new songs, including the title track,"Oh Boy". This album was later released on October 14, 2015.
2016: Good Luck, Runway, and Youkyung's departure
On January 1, it was announced that AOA would be having a comeback in the first half of the year, and that AOA Black would also be releasing new music.
On January 27, FNC said in interview that "Chanmi, Hyejeong and Yuna will promote as a unit group. They are planned to release a new song in February. We ask for a lot of anticipation." On the January 31. they announced that the new sub-unit was called AOA Cream and that they would make their debut on 12 February. On the next day they released the teasers on their official page. The title track "I'm Jelly Baby" was composed by Black Eyed Pilseung.
In April 12, AOA hosted their own reality show,“OnStyle Live” – "Channel AOA”. “OnStyle Live” is a series that features stars hosting their own live shows, the shows are broadcast live and then repeated the next day.
FNC Entertainment announced on the 1st of May that AOA would release their 4th mini-album Good Luck on the 16th of the same month.
On August 8th and 9th, AOA members – including Youkyung – posted 9 tiles combination pic of their message to Elvis, name of AOA fans, on a piece of paper on their respective Instagram account to celebrate their 4th Anniversary. They also surprised their fans by releasing a making film of "Cherry Pop."
On October 15, 2016, it was announced that Youkyung had left the agency and group following the end of her contract, but would be a guest member in any future AOA Black activities. Soon afterwards Jimin posted a photo of all eight members on Instagram with the caption simply reading "AOA".
On November 29, 2016, FNC Entertainment officially announced that AOA was preparing for their first studio album comeback during the winter. Jimin later told Elvis to look forward to it since it would include a song for them.
2017: Angel's Knock and Choa's departure
AOA released their first Korean studio album titled Angel's Knock with their double titled tracks Excuse Me and Bing Bing on January 2, 2017 through digital and physical platforms, which came more than four years after the group's debut back in July 2012. Various teasers were revealed from December 21, 2016 to January 1, 2017 through a special web page designed for the group and various social media networks.
- Shin Ji-min (신지민)
- Seo Yu-na (서유나)
- Shin Hye-jeong (신혜정)
- Kwon Mina (권민아)
- Kim Seol-hyun (김설현)
- Kim Chan-mi (김찬미)
- Seo Youkyung (서유경)
- Park Cho-a (박초아)
- AOA (main promotion unit): Jimin, Yuna, Hyejeong, Mina, Seolhyun, Chanmi
- AOA Black (sub-unit): Jimin, Yuna, Mina, Youkyung
- AOA White (non-promotional sub-unit): Hyejeong, Seolhyun, Chanmi
- AOA Cream (sub-unit): Yuna, Hyejeong, Chanmi
|2013||tvN||Cheongdam-dong 111||All||FNC Ent's reality show|
|2015||Naver||Open-up! AOA||All||AOA's first web reality show|
|MBCevery1||AOA – One Fine Day||All||AOA's first reality show|
|2016||Onstyle||Channel AOA||All||AOA's second reality show|
Concerts and tours
- 2015 AOA Heart Attack Tour (October 4, 10 & 11, 2015)
- AOA 1st Concert in Japan: Angels World 2015 ~Oh Boy Academy~ (December 18, 2015)
- AOA Mini Live: Good Luck to Elvis (June 11, 2016)
- AOA Summer Concert in Japan: Angels World 2016 (July 1 & 3, 2016)
- 2017 AOA 1st Concert [Ace of Angels] in Seoul (March 11, 2017)
- AOA Heart Attack Comeback Showcase "League of AOA" (June 22, 2015)
- AOA "Good Luck" Lucky Guard Showcase (May 16, 2016)
Awards and nominations
AOA has received eight music and entertainment awards and ten music program awards. On February 9, 2014, they received their first number-one win on South Korean music program Inkigayo with the song "Miniskirt".
- "AOA 유경, 5년만에 소속팀 탈퇴…FNC와 계약해지(종합)".
- "[단독] AOA 초아, 사실상 팀 탈퇴 확정" (in Korean). eNews24.
- "FNC Unveils First Member Teaser For FT Island and CN Blue’s Sister Group, Ace of Angels". Enewsworld.mnet.com. July 16, 2012. Retrieved February 12, 2014.
- "FNC's new girl group, AOA, reveals eighth member, half angel, Y". allkpop.com. July 23, 2012. Retrieved February 12, 2014.
- "FNC 첫 걸 그룹 AOA, 멤버 설현 티저 공개- 쿠키뉴스" [FNC first girl group AOA, member Seolhyuns teaser released]. News.kukinews.com (in Korean). 2012-07-16. Retrieved 2015-12-30.
- 제목. "스타뉴스". Star.moneytoday.co.kr. Retrieved 2015-12-30.
- "신예 걸그룹 AOA, 세 번째 멤버 혜정 공개 '알고보니…' – 이투데이". Etoday.co.kr. Retrieved 2015-12-30.
- ě œëŞŠ. "ěŠ¤íƒ€ë‰´ěŠ¤". Star.moneytoday.co.kr. Retrieved 2015-12-30.
- "AOA 다섯 번째 멤버 '유나' 공개…'청순하고 여성스러운 천사' | 엑스포츠뉴스". Xportsnews.hankyung.com. Retrieved 2015-12-30.[permanent dead link]
- 제목. "스타뉴스". Star.moneytoday.co.kr. Retrieved 2015-12-30.
- "신예 걸그룹 AOA 리더 '지미넬' 공개… 천사 콘셉트 잘 어울려 – 이투데이". M.etoday.co.kr. 2012-07-22. Retrieved 2015-12-30.
- "FNC's new girl group, AOA, reveals first group photo + more on the mysterious Y". allkpop.com. July 23, 2012. Retrieved February 12, 2014.
- "7+1ŔÎÁś AOA,¸śÁö¸ˇ¸âšö Y °ř°ł 'ÁöťóŔ¸ˇÎ ĹëÇĎ´Â żźč °ĄÁř ÁÖŔÎ°ř'". Bntnews.hankyung.com. Retrieved 2015-12-30.
- "AOA's "Love is Only You" from 'Angel's Story' leaked". allkpop.com. July 28, 2012. Retrieved February 12, 2014.
- "AOA to make comeback with "Get Out"". Allkpop.com. Retrieved September 29, 2012.
- "AOA to Promote ′Get Out′ in First Week with Five Member Band Unit, AOA Black". enewsworld.mnet.com. Retrieved October 11, 2012.
- "AOA's band unit, AoA Black, put on their thinking caps for a new teaser image". allkpop.com. July 11, 2013. Retrieved February 12, 2014.
- "AOA switch on their sexy charms with 'Confused' MV". allkpop.com. October 9, 2013. Retrieved February 12, 2014.
- "AOA gets into 'Red Motion' with their album release! + 'Confused' dance practice clip (eye contact ver.)". allkpop.com. October 13, 2013. Retrieved February 12, 2014.
- "[Comeback] Ladies Group AOA Has Put On Their "Miniskirts" By Releasing Music Video + Album Tracklist : News". KpopStarz. Retrieved February 12, 2014.
- "'인가' AOA, 데뷔 19개월만 가요프로 첫 1위..감격 눈물 : 네이버 뉴스" (in Korean). News.naver.com. Retrieved February 12, 2014.
- "AOA Makes Top 8 on ‘Billboard’s Most Viewed K-Pop Videos Around the World’ for June". Soompi. Retrieved July 12, 2014.
- "BEAST Takes #1 + Performances from KBS Music Bank Half-Year Special!". Soompi. Retrieved July 12, 2014.
- "Discography of AOA". Universal Music Japan. January 2, 2015. Retrieved January 2, 2015.
- "AOA Japan 2nd Single「Like a Cat」사뿐사뿐 (Japanese) MV Short version". Universal Music Japan. February 2, 2015. Retrieved February 2, 2015.
- "AOA Like A Cat #1 on Gyao!". Universal Music Japan. February 4, 2015. Retrieved February 4, 2015.
- "デイリー CDシングルランキング!". Universal Music Japan. February 24, 2015. Retrieved February 25, 2015.
- "Girl Group AOA to Star in Their First Reality Show". Soompi. February 26, 2015. Retrieved February 26, 2015.
- "AOA plan getaway to Hainan for their first travel reality appearance on 'One Fine Day'! - allkpop.com".
- (in Korean)AOAvs씨스타, 오는 22일 동시 쇼케이스 '누가 웃을까'
- "Aoa Official Website". Aoa-official.jp. 2015-08-21. Retrieved 2015-12-30.
- Lim, Jeong-yeo. "Seolhyun to host KBS Entertainment Awards". KPOP Herald. Herald Corporation. Retrieved 21 December 2015.
- K, J. (January 1, 2016). "AOA Shares Plans for New Album in 2016 and AOA Black Comeback".
- Lim, Jeong-yeo. "AOA announces the three members of their upcoming unit group". Daum. Retrieved 27 January 2016.
- (in Korean)AOA 리더 지민, 3월 새 솔로 프로젝트 가동
- "AOA Jimin's new solo release to feature Xiumin! - allkpop.com".
- ilmare42. "AOA to Star in Live Reality Show “Channel AOA”". Soompi. Retrieved 2016-04-11.
- ilmare42. "AOA 4th Mini Album GoodLuck Teaser Site Open! 05.16 Release". Twitter. Retrieved 2016-05-03.
- "AOA celebrate their 4th anniversary with a making film to 'Cherry Pop'! - allkpop.com".
- Do, K. (October 14, 2016). "AOA’s Youkyung Leaves FNC Entertainment, Agency Explains".
- Do, K. (October 15, 2016). "AOA’s Jimin Posts On Instagram Following Youkyung’s Departure".
- Beansss (December 29, 2016). "AOA give fans a preview of their 1st full album with a highlight medley!". Allkpop. Archived from the original on March 14, 2017.
- "초아, 팀 탈퇴…에이오에이(AOA)는 초아의 빈자리를 채울 수 있을까?" (in Korean). Top Star News. June 22, 2017. Retrieved June 22, 2017.
- "초아 “AOA 탈퇴” VS FNC “결정된 사안 아냐”… 엇갈린 의견" (in Korean). Ten Asia.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to AOA (band).|