Some of this article's listed sources may not be reliable. (December 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Origin||Seoul, South Korea|
AOA (Korean: 에이오에이; an acronym for Ace of Angels) is a South Korean girl group formed by FNC Entertainment. originally an eight-member line-up since in 2012 consiting: Choa, Jimin, Yuna, Youkyung, Hyejeong, Mina, Seolhyun and Chanmi, The group is currently promoting as four. Youkyung left the group in 2016, while Choa left the in 2017 due to personal reasons of mental health followed by Mina in 2019 to pursue her acting career and Jimin left in 2020 due to bullying allegations by Mina.
AOA began their career simultaneously promoting as a dance group and band, and officially debuted in July 2012 with the release of the single album Angel's Story. In early 2013, the band unit AOA Black released their official single titled "MOYA" to moderate success. They released their first EP in June 2014, and that year they also debuted in Japan under Universal Music Japan. The group found nationwide success in 2014 after a series of hit songs that established them as one of the leading girl groups of their era. "Heart Attack" debuted at the top of several charts after its release, became one of the most downloaded songs of 2015, and became one of the longest charting singles on Melon's top 100 chart.
Following a series of consistent success, AOA debuted a second promotional unit, AOA Cream, in 2016. The group would later release their first Korean language studio album in January 2017, and a few months later, held their first headlining Korean concert "Ace Of Angels" at Olympic Hall in Seoul. Among the groups' biggest hits are "Miniskirt", "Short Hair", "Like a Cat", "Heart Attack", "Give Me the Love", "Good Luck", "Excuse Me" and "Bingle Bangle".
2012–2013: Formation and debut
The eight members were introduced individually through teaser photos from July 16 to 23 (in order: Seolhyun, Choa, Hyejeong, Chanmi, Yuna, Mina, Jimin, & Youkyung).
AOA were introduced with a 'transformer' concept, which the group described meant they would promote alternately as a band with various members playing instruments and as a dance group. Explaining the concept of their debut, FNC revealed that seven members are "full angels": Seolhyunari (Seolhyun), Choaya (Choa), Hyejeong.Linus (Hyejeong), Chanmi T.T (Chanmi), Yunaria (Yuna), Minaring (Mina), and leader Jiminel (Jimin), while Youkyung (or "Y") is listed as a "half-angel/half-mortal" as she is only a member when the group promotes as a band, thus they were known as a "7+1" group. The song and music video for their debut title track "Elvis" was released on July 30. The group began promotions with their debut stage on August 9 on M Countdown and then Music Bank on August 10 to minimal success.
Two months after their debut, FNC confirmed that the group would be making a comeback with a second single album "Wanna Be" on October 10. The album cover was released along with the announcement, which depicted the eight members as different fictional characters. Hyejeong, Jimin, Choa, Yuna, Chanmi, Mina, Seolhyun and Youkyung dressed as characters from Kill Bill, Léon, Legally Blonde, Tomb Raider, Harry Potter, Breakfast at Tiffany's, Romeo and Juliet, and The Fifth Element respectively.
In the latter half of 2012, it was confirmed that five-member band unit, AOA Black would perform a stage in the first week of promotions for "Get Out". AOA Black made their first comeback appearance on the October 10 broadcast of KM's Music Triangle and performed the band version of "Get Out" for the first time. The band made their second appearance on the October 12 broadcast of Music Bank.
The following year, on July 11, it was announced that AOA Black would be releasing their debut song, "MOYA". The third single album and "MOYA" music video were released on July 26 and AOA Black had their first comeback stage on KBS Music Bank on the same day. A few months later, the dance group released "Confused," alongside another single album, Red Motion, which was released on October 13 to moderate success. At the end of that year, AOA appeared on FNC Entertainment's reality show "Cheongdam-dong 111," which depicted dramatized scenarios behind the scenes of the entertainment company among its artists, employees and other staff.
2014–2016: Career breakthrough and Japan debut
On January 16, AOA released their fifth single and single album, "Miniskirt," which was produced by Brave Brothers, ElephantKingdom and Galactika. Shortly after its release, FNC announced that Seolhyun would sit out promotions for the song after injuring herself. The song went on to be a huge success and peaked at #11 on Gaon Digital Chart and #8 on Billboard K-Pop Hot 100, which garnered them a lot of nationwide attention throughout South Korea and spawned their first hit song. On February 9, the group celebrated their first music show win on Inkigayo.
In March, it was announced that member Seolhyun would make her theatrical debut in the action film, "Gangnam Blues". In May that year, AOA appeared on Real Man to perform their hit song and play a quiz showdown with the soldiers.
The following month, AOA released the single "Short Hair" alongside their first mini album on June 19. The album peaked at #4 on Gaon Weekly Album Chart, and the song at #5 on the Digital Chart and also topped the M Countdown chart in July. The music video ranked eighth on Billboard's "Most Viewed K-pop Videos Around the World" for June. The following month, they released their first photobook, which was accompanied with a behind the scenes video to promote the release.
Due to their rising popularity, AOA released their first Japanese single, a Japanese-language version of their hit song "Miniskirt" on October 1. Soon after, they were chosen as the promotional models for a mobile RPG, 'Fantasy Hero.' In late October, FNC announced that AOA would be having another comeback, and shortly afterwards, began releasing teasers for the music video, unveiling a darker Catwoman concept. The song and music video for Like a Cat were released on November 11, and the music video co-starred Daniel Snoeks. The song was a huge success, peaking at #5 on the Gaon Digital Chart, and ranking #1 on Gaon Social Chart for six consecutive weeks. On November 19, AOA took home their second music show win on Show Champion.
By the end of the year, AOA's rising popularity and nationwide success due to their consecutive hit songs earned them a spot in the top 5 of best-selling girl groups of the year on Gaon.
AOA released a Japanese version of Like a Cat on February 25, 2015. The single also came with the Japanese versions of their original Korean songs "Elvis" and "Just the Two of Us". On February 2, FNC released the short version music video of the Japanese version of "Like a Cat", and it ranked No. 1 on Gayp! views daily and weekly ranking. Like a Cat ranked #6 on Oricon Daily Chart and ranked #1 on Tower Records Shibuya on the first day of its release; it also ranked No. 3 as their peak on Oricon Daily Chart.
AOA's first reality show "Open Up! AOA" premiered on February 26 on portal site Naver. The series consisted of 10 episodes, each 10 minutes long, and aired every Thursday. All eight members, including drummer Youkyung, were on the program. AOA started filming their new variety show with MBC Music called AOA One Fine Day in Nanwan Monkey Island, Hainan, China on April 7, 2015. 'One Fine Day' started broadcasting on June 13, 2015.
On June 2, 2015, FNC confirmed the group were preparing for comeback aimed for mid-June. The poster for the group's EP "Heart Attack" was released weeks later, and the song and mini album were released on the 22nd. The group's comeback showcase was held the same day at AX-Hall Seoul. The comeback ended up being a massive success. It peaked at number 2 on Gaon Digital Chart and in the music chart's year-end digital chart, it placed in the top 20 with over one million downloads by the year's end. The song is also reported to be one of the longest charting songs on Melon's music chart.
In August 2015, the group made their first appearances in the United States performing at KCON 2015 in Los Angeles on August 2 and New York on August 8. In the same month, it was revealed that AOA would make a comeback in Japan with a full-length album, being the first full-length album for AOA to release, featuring 8 of their previous Japanese singles and 3 new songs, including the title track, "Oh Boy". This album, Ace of Angels, was later released on October 14, 2015.
2016–2017: Angel's Knock and Choa & Youkyung’s departure
On January 31, 2016, FNC formed a new sub-unit called AOA Cream, composed of members Yuna, Hyejeong, and Chanmi. They debuted on February 12, 2016 with the title track "I'm Jelly Baby".
On March 3, it was announced that "Give Me the Love", AOA's fourth and first original Japanese single, would be released on April 20. The track list comprised title track "Give Me the Love" featuring Japanese singer Takanori Nishikawa, a Japanese version of "Girl's Heart" and a new original song titled "Still Falls the Rain" 
On April 12, AOA aired their reality show "Channel AOA" on OnStyle Live. The group came under widespread scrutiny following their appearance on the reality show when members Jimin and Seolhyun failed to recognize An Jung-geun in a game challenge they had performed on the series. Following the outrage and criticism, the members issued a public apology for their actions. In May 2016, they released their fourth mini-album entitled Good Luck with the lead single of the same name. The song peaked at number 2 on the Gaon Digital Chart and the album sold over 40,000 units.
In October 2016, Youkyung departed from the group following termination of her contract. In her note to fans, she announced she would return to the group as a guest member for any future AOA Black activities. In November, AOA released their second Japanese album Runway, which includes all songs from their previous "Give Me the Love" single.
In January 2017, AOA released their first Korean full-length album titled Angel's Knock with their double titled tracks "Excuse Me" and "Bing Bing". On the Gaon Chart, "Excuse Me" debuted at number #33. The song began rising once they began promotions on music programs, and peaked at #22. Despite this, they achieved three music show wins with the song during its promotions. At the end of promotions, the group announced plans for their first headlining Korean concert.
On June 22, Choa revealed that she had left the group, first she announced to take a break in the industry due to health reasons and she tried to help her meditation with health but failed, she announced her Instagram post that she had made her decision to leave.  On June 30, the company confirmed that Choa had left the group, and the remaining six members would continue without her. In November, AOA attended an event in Icheon, where they were appointed goodwill ambassadors for the 2018 Winter Olympics.
2018–2019: Bingle Bangle, Mina’s departure, Queendom, and New Moon
On May 28, 2018, the group returned with their fifth mini album titled Bingle Bangle with a title track of the same name. The album's single peaked at #4 on Gaon Digital Chart and the group received a Bonsang at the Soribada Best K-Music Awards.
In late April 2019, contract negotiations had begun in light of the members' impending contract expiration. FNC responded to reports shortly after stating that contract negotiations with the members were ongoing and discussions about resigning were going positively. The agency announced Mina’s departure from the group, on that end of the contract, she chose not to renew and intentaily she chose not to promote the group in order to pursue primarily on acting. In the statement the agency confirmed that the group would continue as five members.
In August 2019, AOA joined Mnet's reality survival show Queendom, which saw six female K-pop acts competing in a series of preliminary performances, and in the show's finale, each act would release a final song on the same day to compete for the top spot. The series began airing on August 29, and following the premiere, AOA had begun to receive a lot of positive reception and widespread attention for their appearances on the show. The performance for their cover of Mamamoo's "Egotistic" became a trending topic on Naver, and the digital release of their cover entered many Korean music charts. On October 25, Queendom's six contestants released their final songs on Korean streaming services. AOA released "Sorry," which would be their first official release as five members.
2020–present: Bullying allegations and Jimin's retirement from industry
In early July 2020, former member Mina made a series of Instagram posts in which she alleged that Jimin had bullied her for ten years, driving her to the point of self-harming and attempting suicide. Following the allegations, FNC Entertainment later on Jimin went to apologize to Mina when she had done this after that, On July 4, 2020 Jimin left the band and the Entertainment industry entirely and retired due to the bullying scandal.
- Seo Youkyung (서유경) (2012-2016)
- Park Cho-a (박초아) (2012-2017)
- Kwon Min-a (권민아) (2012-2019)
- Shin Jimin (신지민) (2012-2020)
Orange: Member of AOA Black only
Black (vertical) = studio album
Blue (vertical) = extended play album
- AOA Black: Jimin, Yuna, Choa, Mina, Youkyung
- AOA White:[a] Hyejeong, Seolhyun, Chanmi
- AOA Cream: Yuna, Hyejeong, Chanmi
|2013||tvN||Cheongdam-dong 111||FNC Ent's reality show|
|2015||Naver||Open-up! AOA||AOA's first web reality show|
|MBCevery1||AOA – One Fine Day||AOA's first reality show|
|2016||Onstyle||Channel AOA||AOA's second reality show|
- 2017 AOA 1st Concert [Ace of Angels] in Seoul (2017)
- 2015 AOA Heart Attack Tour (2015)
- AOA 1st Concert in Japan: Angels World 2015 ~Oh Boy Academy~ (2015)
- AOA Mini Live: Good Luck to Elvis (2016)
- AOA Summer Concert in Japan: Angels World 2016 (2016)
- AOA "Ace of Angels" Debut Showcase (2012)
- AOA Japan Showcase (2013)
- AOA "Like a Cat" Mini Album Showcase (2014)
- AOA "Heart Attack" Comeback Showcase "League of AOA" (2015)
- AOA "Good Luck" Lucky Guard Showcase (2016)
- AOA 5th Mini Album "Bingle Bangle" Showcase (2018)
- AOA 6th Mini Album "New Moon" Showcase (2019)
Awards and nominations
- non-promotional sub-unit
- "걸그룹 세대교체, 걸스데이·에이핑크·AOA에 달렸다?" (in Korean). News.donga.com. September 20, 2014. Retrieved February 2, 2019.
- "2015년 Download Chart" (in Korean). News.donga.com. Retrieved October 28, 2019.
- "AOA's "Excuse Me" climbing back up the charts". sbs.com.au. January 12, 2017. Retrieved October 28, 2019.
- "FNC Unveils First Member Teaser For FT Island and CN Blue's Sister Group, Ace of Angels". Enewsworld.mnet.com. July 16, 2012. Archived from the original on October 19, 2014. Retrieved February 12, 2014.
- "FNC 첫 걸 그룹 AOA, 멤버 설현 티저 공개- 쿠키뉴스" [FNC first girl group AOA, member Seolhyuns teaser released]. News.kukinews.com (in Korean). July 16, 2012. Retrieved December 30, 2015.
- 제목 (July 17, 2012). "스타뉴스". Star.moneytoday.co.kr. Retrieved December 30, 2015.
- "신예 걸그룹 AOA, 세 번째 멤버 혜정 공개 '알고보니...' – 이투데이". Etoday.co.kr. July 18, 2012. Archived from the original on September 24, 2015. Retrieved December 30, 2015.
- ě œëŞŠ (July 19, 2012). "ěŠ¤íƒ€ë‰'ěŠ¤". Star.moneytoday.co.kr. Retrieved December 30, 2015.
- "AOA 다섯 번째 멤버 '유나' 공개...'청순하고 여성스러운 천사' | 엑스포츠뉴스". Xportsnews.hankyung.com. Retrieved December 30, 2015.[permanent dead link]
- 제목 (July 21, 2012). "스타뉴스". Star.moneytoday.co.kr. Retrieved December 30, 2015.
- "신예 걸그룹 AOA 리더 '지미넬' 공개... 천사 콘셉트 잘 어울려 – 이투데이". M.etoday.co.kr. July 22, 2012. Retrieved December 30, 2015.
- "7+1ŔÎÁś AOA,¸śÁö¸ˇ¸âšö Y °ř°ł 'ÁöťóŔ¸ˇÎ ĹëÇĎ' żźč °ĄÁř ÁÖŔÎ°ř'". Bntnews.hankyung.com. Retrieved December 30, 2015.
- "AOA, 두번째 싱글 'GET OUT' 영화 포스터 콘셉트 이색 사진 공개" (in Korean). Xportsnews.com. September 29, 2012. Archived from the original on November 24, 2018. Retrieved February 2, 2012.
- "AOA to Promote ′Get Out′ in First Week with Five Member Band Unit, AOA Black". enewsworld.mnet.com. Archived from the original on January 29, 2013. Retrieved October 11, 2012.
- "밴드가 댄스도 한다, 양수겸장 섹시걸스 'AOA블랙'...모야" (in Korean). News.joins.com. July 19, 2013. Retrieved February 2, 2019.
- "AOA블랙, 걸밴드란 이런 것" (in Korean). Nocutnews.co.kr. July 26, 2013. Retrieved February 2, 2019.
- "AOA, '흔들려' 뮤비 현장 공개 '입술춤으로 뜨거운 유혹'" (in Korean). News.zum.com. October 7, 2013. Archived from the original on January 14, 2020. Retrieved February 2, 2019.
- "신소율 AOA 응원 "'흔들려' 심장 떨릴 만큼 섹시해!"" (in Korean). News.donga.co.kr. October 13, 2013. Retrieved February 2, 2019.
- "'청담동 111' 씨앤블루 이정신·이종현 "100% 리얼, 불안하지만 열심히 찍겠다"" (in Korean). Newspim.com. November 18, 2013. Retrieved May 15, 2019.
- "[AOA '짧은치마' 티저, '지퍼 풀며' 허벅지 노출 '야해도 너무 야해'". Chosun. January 10, 2014. Retrieved February 10, 2019.
- "[AOA '짧은치마', 아찔한 안무+의상 '섹시미 대방출'". Edaily. January 16, 2014. Retrieved February 10, 2019.
- "AOA,설현 부상으로 '6인 체제' 컴백" (in Korean). News.naver.com. January 16, 2014. Retrieved February 2, 2019.
- "'인가' AOA, 데뷔 19개월만 가요프로 첫 1위..감격 눈물 : 네이버 뉴스" (in Korean). News.naver.com. Retrieved February 12, 2014.
- "AOA 설현, 영화 '강남블루스'로 스크린 데뷔" (in Korean). KBS News. Retrieved March 3, 2014.
- "'진짜 사나이' AOA 등장, 맹호부대 병사들 무대로 진격" (in Korean). News.donga.com. May 19, 2014. Retrieved May 15, 2019.
- "Most Viewed K-Pop Videos in America & Around the World: June 2014". Billboard. Retrieved February 2, 2019.
- "[영상] AOA, 'HOT Summer' 화보 메이킹 필름 티저 영상 공개" (in Korean). Stardailynews.co.kr. July 21, 2014. Retrieved February 12, 2014.[permanent dead link]
- "대세 걸그룹 AOA, RPG 게임 '환타지히어로' 홍보모델 발탁" (in Korean). Stardailynews.co.kr. October 21, 2014. Retrieved February 12, 2014.
- "[영상]AOA '사뿐사뿐' 뮤직비디오 트레일러 공개...섹시한 캣우먼 변신" (in Korean). Seoul.co.kr. November 7, 2014. Retrieved February 12, 2014.[permanent dead link]
- "2014결산(1) 걸그룹 순위" (in Korean). Gaon Chart. November 7, 2014. Retrieved May 15, 2019.
- "Discography of AOA". Universal Music Japan. January 2, 2015. Retrieved January 2, 2015.
- "AOA Japan 2nd Single「Like a Cat」사뿐사뿐 (Japanese) MV Short version". Universal Music Japan. February 2, 2015. Retrieved February 2, 2015.
- "AOA Like A Cat #1 on Gyao!". Universal Music Japan. February 4, 2015. Retrieved February 4, 2015.
- "デイリー CDシングルランキング!". Universal Music Japan. February 24, 2015. Retrieved February 25, 2015.
- "Girl Group AOA to Star in Their First Reality Show". Soompi. February 26, 2015. Retrieved February 26, 2015.
- "AOA plan getaway to Hainan for their first travel reality appearance on 'One Fine Day'! - allkpop.com".
- "소녀시대·씨스타·걸스데이·에이핑크..걸그룹 '여름전쟁'" (in Korean). Star.mt.co.kr. June 4, 2015. Retrieved October 28, 2019.
- "'컴백 D-6' AOA, '짧은치마' 순정만화 비주얼 '심쿵'" (in Korean). News.joins.com. June 16, 2015. Retrieved October 28, 2019.
- (in Korean)AOAvs씨스타, 오는 22일 동시 쇼케이스 '누가 웃을까' Archived June 6, 2015, at the Wayback Machine
- "Aoa Official Website". Aoa-official.jp. August 21, 2015. Retrieved December 30, 2015.
- Lim, Jeong-yeo. "Seolhyun to host KBS Entertainment Awards". KPOP Herald. Herald Corporation. Retrieved December 21, 2015.
- "April 20 JAPAN 4th Single 「Give Me the Love feat. TAKANORI NISHIKAWA (T.M. Revolution)". AOA JAPAN OFFICIAL WEBSITE. March 3, 2016. Retrieved August 1, 2020.
- "[단독] AOA, 리얼리티 출격...'온스타일 라이브' 확정". Osen.mt.co.kr. Retrieved October 28, 2019.
- "안중근이 긴도깡?...상식도 모르는 설현·지민에 '비난 봇물'". Nate. Retrieved October 28, 2019.[permanent dead link]
- "AOA 설현·지민, 안중근 의사 논란 사과 "깊이 반성" (종합)". Naver. Retrieved October 28, 2019.
- "AOA's Seolhyun, Jimin apologize for attitude during history quiz". KoreanHerald. Retrieved October 28, 2019.
- "Gaon Album Chart, 2016". Gaon Music Chart. Retrieved January 13, 2017.
- Do, K. (October 14, 2016). "AOA's Youkyung Leaves FNC Entertainment, Agency Explains".
- "AOA, '쇼챔'서 첫 1위...눈물 소감+유나 깁스 투혼[종합]". Nate. Retrieved October 28, 2019.[permanent dead link]
- "AOA '엠카운트다운' 1위...음악방송 3관왕 달성". News1.kr. Retrieved October 28, 2019.
- "'V앱' AOA에게 원하는 무대, 콘서트서 볼 수 있으리(종합)". Naver. Retrieved October 28, 2019.
- "초아, 팀 탈퇴...에이오에이(AOA)는 초아의 빈자리를 채울 수 있을까?" (in Korean). Top Star News. June 22, 2017. Retrieved June 22, 2017.
- "[단독] AOA 초아, 사실상 팀 탈퇴 확정" (in Korean). eNews24.
- administrator. "AOA to Promote PyeongChang Olympics". Archived from the original on February 9, 2018. Retrieved December 10, 2017.
- "AOA tease roller skating concept and announce official comeback date". Retrieved May 13, 2018.
- "[단독]'FA 대어' AOA, 현 소속사 FNC와 재계약 임박". Naver (in Korean). Retrieved October 28, 2019.
- "FNC 측 "AOA 멤버들과 재계약? 긍정적으로 논의중"[공식입장]". Naver (in Korean). Retrieved October 28, 2019.
- "FNC 측 "AOA 5인 재계약 후 팀유지, 민아는 탈퇴"(공식입장 전문)" (in Korean). Naver. May 13, 2019. Retrieved May 13, 2019.
- "[단독] 마마무·AOA→러블리즈·아이들, 걸그룹 예능 '퀸덤' 출연". Naver (in Korean). Retrieved October 28, 2019.
- "'퀸덤' 측 "오마이걸 마마무 AOA 러블리즈 아이들 박봄 출연 확정"(공식)". Naver (in Korean). Retrieved October 28, 2019.
- "'퀸덤' 마마무・AOA・박봄, 제대로 이 갈았다 '박빙'..커버곡 승자는 누구?[어저께TV]". Naver (in Korean). Retrieved October 28, 2019.
- ""8년차 걸그룹의 재발견"...'퀸덤' AOA, 나오길 잘했다 [엑's 초점]". Nate (in Korean). Retrieved October 28, 2019.
- "[투데이IS] '퀸덤' AOA·마마무→오마이걸·아이들, 동시 음원발매". Naver (in Korean). Retrieved October 28, 2019.
- "AOA, 25일 '퀸덤' 파이널 신곡 'Sorry' 공개". Global Makers (in Korean). Retrieved October 28, 2019.[permanent dead link]
- "'5인조' AOA, 26일 컴백 확정...타이틀 곡은 '날 보러 와요'". entertain.naver.com (in Korean). November 14, 2019. Archived from the original on December 28, 2019. Retrieved November 14, 2019.
- "지민, AOA 탈퇴...FNC 측 "모든 연예 활동 중단"(공식)". Naver. July 3, 2020.
- "텐카메라맨, AOA '짧은치마' 음악방송 카메라워크 비교". tenasia.hankyung.com (in Korean). February 10, 2014. Retrieved November 28, 2019.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to AOA (band).|