APEC Chile 2019
|APEC Chile 2019|
|Date||November 16–17, 2019 (cancelled)|
This article needs to be updated.October 2019)(
APEC Chile 2019 would have been an Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) series of meetings in Santiago, Chile. The meetings supposed to focus on the digital economy, regional connectivity, and women's role in economic growth.
This would have been the first APEC meeting for Peruvian President Martín Vizcarra, Vietnamese President Nguyễn Phú Trọng, Mexican President Andrés Manuel López Obrador and Papua New Guinea Prime Minister James Marape after their inaugurations and appointments on March 23, 2018, October 23, 2018, December 1, 2018, and May 30, 2019, respectively.
The only leader not in attendance would have been Russian President Vladimir Putin, who cited domestic priorities. Putin was planned to be represented by former Russian President, then-Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev.
|Attendees at the|
2019 APEC Economic Leaders' Meeting
|Member economy||Name as used in APEC||Position||Name|
|Australia||Australia||Prime Minister||Scott Morrison|
|Brunei||Brunei Darussalam||Sultan||Hassanal Bolkiah|
|Canada||Canada||Prime Minister||Justin Trudeau|
|Chile||Chile||President||Sebastián Piñera (host)|
|China||People's Republic of China||President||Xi Jinping|
|Hong Kong||Hong Kong, China||Chief Executive||Carrie Lam|
|Japan||Japan||Prime Minister||Shinzō Abe|
|South Korea||Republic of Korea||President||Moon Jae-in|
|Malaysia||Malaysia||Prime Minister||Mahathir Mohamad|
|Mexico||Mexico||President||Andrés Manuel López Obrador|
|New Zealand||New Zealand||Prime Minister||Jacinda Ardern|
|Papua New Guinea||Papua New Guinea||Prime Minister||James Marape|
|Russia*||Russia||Prime Minister||Dmitry Medvedev|
|Singapore||Singapore||Prime Minister||Lee Hsien Loong|
|Taiwan||Chinese Taipei||Special Representative of President||Morris Chang|
|Thailand||Thailand||Prime Minister||Prayut Chan-o-cha|
|United States||United States||President||Donald Trump|
|Vietnam||Viet Nam||President||Nguyễn Phú Trọng|
|(*) Russian President Vladimir Putin would have not attended the leaders' summit, prior to its cancellation. A representative was planned to attend on his behalf.|
- "APEC Chile 2019" (PDF). gob.cl. 21 August 2018.
- "President Piñera highlights achievements of his visit to Singapore". gob.cl. 16 November 2018.
- Kenneth, Gorethy (18 November 2018). "Chile to host 2019 Apec Summit". postcourier.com.pg.
- "APEC 2019 to focus on digital economy, connectivity, women's role in economic growth". Xinhua News Agency. 12 July 2018.
- "Chile president cancels APEC summit next month where Trump, Xi were expected to meet". CNBC. 30 October 2019. Retrieved 30 October 2019.
- Kolodyazhnyy, Anton (30 October 2019). "Putin to skip APEC summit in Chile, Kremlin says". Reuters. Retrieved 30 October 2019.
- Hong Kong joined APEC in 1991 during British administration with the name "Hong Kong." In 1997, Hong Kong became a Special Administrative Region of the People's Republic of China and took the name "Hong Kong, China."
- Due to the complexities of the relations between it and the People's Republic of China, the Republic of China (ROC or "Taiwan") is not represented under its official name "Republic of China" or as "Taiwan". Instead, it participates in APEC under the name "Chinese Taipei". The President of the Republic of China does not attend the annual APEC Economic Leaders' Meeting in person. Instead, it is generally represented by a ministerial-level official responsible for economic affairs or someone designated by the president. See List of Chinese Taipei Representatives to APEC.
APEC Papua New Guinea 2018
| APEC meetings
APEC Malaysia 2020