ARA Patagonia (B-1)
ARA Patagonia (ex-Durance (A629)) during UNITAS manoeuvres
|Builder:||Brest Arsenal, Brest|
|Laid down:||12 December 1973|
|Launched:||6 September 1975|
|Commissioned:||1 December 1976|
|Fate:||Sold to Argentina|
|Acquired:||12 July 1999|
|Commissioned:||9 July 2000|
|Status:||In active service|
|Class and type:||Durance-class tanker|
|Length:||157.2 m (516 ft)|
|Beam:||21.2 m (70 ft)|
|Propulsion:||2 × Pielstick 16 PC2-5 V 400 diesel engines, two shafts (14,710 kW)|
|Speed:||19 knots (35 km/h)|
|Range:||9,000 nautical miles (17,000 km) at 15 knots (28 km/h)|
|Boats & landing
|2 DRBN 34 radars|
|Aviation facilities:||UH-3H Sea King helicopter picture|
ARA Patagonia (B-1) is a multi-product replenishment oiler of the Durance class in service in the Argentine Navy. She was the lead ship of her class serving in the French Navy as Durance (A629) from 1977 to 1999.
Durance was launched on 6 September 1975 at Brest, France as a Pétrolier Revitailleur d´Escadre (PRE) entering service on 12 April 1977. She was decommissioned on 5 December 1997 and sold to the Argentine Navy on 12 July 1999.
Renamed ARA Patagonia she arrived at Puerto Belgrano on 29 August 1999 where she spent one year in drydock receiving an overhaul of her engines and hull. She was officially commissioned with the pennant number B-1 (LPGA) into the Amphibious and Logistic Naval Command (COAL) of the fleet on 9 July 2000 and made her first voyage on the following month.
Since then she has participated in numerous exercises and operations within the fleet and foreign navies including Pre-Unitas, UNITAS picture, Gringo-Gaucho, Atlasur, PASSEX, Gosth, and Fraterno with the United States, Chile, Brazil and Spain among others.
Portions taken from Spanish Wikipedia
- "Pétrolier ravitailleur Durance : Caractéristiques principales (French)". netmarine.net. Retrieved 19 November 2015.
- El nuevo buque de la Armada hizo su primer viaje oficial
- Argentina y Chile recordaron el acuerdo de paz
- Relatos y vivencias de la Regata del Bicentenario
- Ushuaia: zarpó el rompehielos Irízar rumbo a la Antártida
|This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (July 2016)|
- Guia de los buques de la Armada Argentina 2005-2006. Ignacio Amendolara Bourdette, ISBN 987-43-9400-5, Editor n/a. (Spanish/English text)
- Garcia Pedroche, Sergio; Nuñez Padin, Jorge Felix (2004). Nuñez Padin, Jorge Felix, ed. ARA B1 "Patagonia". Fuerzas Navales (in Spanish). Nº1. Bahia Blanca, Argentina: Fuerzas Aeronavales. Retrieved 2016-07-23.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to ARA Patagonia.|