The ASEAN Way
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Also known as||Southeast Asian Anthem|
|Adopted||20 November 2008|
The ASEAN Way is the official anthem of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations. The lyrics were written by Payom Valaiphatchra (Thai: พยอม วลัยพัชรา; rtgs: Phayom Walaiphatchara) and the music composed by Kittikhun Sodprasert (Thai: กิตติคุณ สดประเสริฐ; rtgs: Kittikhun Sotprasoet) and Sampow Triudom (Thai: สำเภา ไตรอุดม; rtgs: Samphao Trai-u-dom), the winning entry out of 99 finalists from all ten ASEAN countries.
ASEAN Anthem Competition
The competition was launched and was announced throughout all the member states of ASEAN, in a bid to find an official anthem to replace the formerly de facto regional anthem, ASEAN Hymn, which was considered as lacking in gusto and passion by several member states. The competition was open to all the nationals of ASEAN, limiting to 20 entries per member state. The winning entry received over US$20,000 in reward and was declared as the official regional anthem of Southeast Asia. The panel of judges unanimously voted The ASEAN Way as the official regional anthem of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations in the final round on 20 November 2008.
- Language: English
- The anthem should reflect ASEAN dignity, cooperation, and solidarity
- Should reflect ASEAN's diverse culture and ethnicity
- Should be an original composition
- Must not be longer than 60 seconds
Panel of judges
- Brunei - Mr. Haji Manaf bin Haji Kamis
- Cambodia - Dr. កម្ពុជា
- Indonesia - Mr. Purwa Caraka
- Laos - Mr. Khamphanh Phonthongsy
- Malaysia - Mr. Ayob Ibrahim
- Myanmar (Burma) - Mr. Tin Oo Thaung
- Philippines - Mr. Apgripino V. Diestro
- Singapore - Mr. Phoon Yew Tien
- Thailand - Admiral Mom Luang (The Honourable) Usni Pramoj
- Vietnam - Mr. Pham Hong Hai
And 3 non-ASEAN judges:
Raise our flag high, sky high
Embrace the pride in our heart
ASEAN we are bonded as one
Look-in out-ward to the world.
For peace, our goal from the very start
And prosperity to last.
We dare to dream we care to share.
Together for ASEAN
we dare to dream,
we care to share for it’s the way of ASEAN.