This article's use of external links may not follow Wikipedia's policies or guidelines. (October 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
5.2.3 / 9 February 2015
6.0.0-rc2 / 17 May 2016
|Written in||C#, VB.NET|
|Platform||.NET Framework, Mono|
|Type||Web application framework|
|License||Apache License 2.0|
The ASP.NET MVC is a web application framework developed by Microsoft, which implements the model–view–controller (MVC) pattern. It is open-source software, apart from the ASP.NET Web Forms component which is proprietary.
Based on ASP.NET, ASP.NET MVC allows software developers to build a web application as a composition of three roles: Model, View and Controller. The MVC model defines web applications with 3 logic layers:
- Model (business layer)
- View (display layer)
- Controller (input control)
A model represents the state of a particular aspect of the application. A controller handles interactions and updates the model to reflect a change in state of the application, and then passes information to the view. A view accepts necessary information from the controller and renders a user interface to display that information.
"ASP.NET MVC framework is a lightweight, highly testable presentation framework that is integrated with existing ASP.NET features. Some of these integrated features are master pages and membership-based authentication. The MVC framework is defined in the System.Web.Mvc assembly."
Apache License 2.0 release
Guthrie wrote that "Doing so will enable a more open development model where everyone in the community will be able to engage and provide feedback on code checkins, bug-fixes, new feature development, and build and test the products on a daily basis using the most up-to-date version of the source code and tests."
|10 December 2007||ASP.NET MVC CTP|
|13 March 2009||ASP.NET MVC 1.0|
|16 December 2009||ASP.NET MVC 2 RC|
|4 February 2010||ASP.NET MVC 2 RC 2|
|10 March 2010||ASP.NET MVC 2|
|6 October 2010||ASP.NET MVC 3 Beta|
|9 November 2010||ASP.NET MVC 3 RC|
|10 December 2010||ASP.NET MVC 3 RC 2|
|13 January 2011||ASP.NET MVC 3|
|20 September 2011||ASP.NET MVC 4 Developer Preview|
|15 February 2012||ASP.NET MVC 4 Beta|
|31 May 2012||ASP.NET MVC 4 RC|
|15 August 2012||ASP.NET MVC 4|
|30 May 2013||ASP.NET MVC 4 4.0.30506.0|
|26 June 2013||ASP.NET MVC 5 Preview|
|23 August 2013||ASP.NET MVC 5 RC 1|
|17 October 2013||ASP.NET MVC 5|
|17 January 2014||ASP.NET MVC 5.1|
|10 February 2014||ASP.NET MVC 5.1.1|
|4 April 2014||ASP.NET MVC 5.1.2|
|22 June 2014||ASP.NET MVC 5.1.3|
|1 July 2014||ASP.NET MVC 5.2.0|
|28 August 2014||ASP.NET MVC 5.2.2|
|9 February 2015||ASP.NET MVC 5.2.3|
|6 November 2014||ASP.NET MVC 6.0.0-beta1|
|18 November 2015||ASP.NET MVC 6.0.0-rc1|
|17 May 2016||ASP.NET Core MVC 1.0.0-rc2|
|12 August 2016||ASP.NET Core MVC 1.0.0|
|17 August 2016||ASP.NET Core MVC 1.0.1|
|17 November 2016||ASP.NET Core MVC 1.0.2|
|18 November 2016||ASP.NET Core MVC 1.1.0|
|14 August 2017||ASP.NET Core MVC 2.0.0 |
The view engines used in the ASP.NET MVC 3 and MVC 4 frameworks are Razor and the Web Forms. Both view engines are part of the MVC 3 framework. By default, the view engine in the MVC framework uses Razor
.vbhtml, or Web Forms
.aspx pages to design the layout of the user interface pages onto which the data is composed. However, different view engines can be used. Additionally, rather than the default ASP.NET Web Forms postback model, any interactions are routed to the controllers using the ASP.NET Routing mechanism. Views can be mapped to different URLs.
Other view engines:
- The MVCContrib library contains 8 alternate view engines. Brail, NDjango, NHaml, NVelocity, SharpTiles, Spark, StringTemplate and XSLT.
- The StringTemplate View Engine utilizes a .NET port of the Java templating engine, StringTemplate.
- Spark is a view engine for the ASP.NET MVC (and the Castle Project MonoRail) frameworks.
- NDjango is a port of the Django web framework's templating language to .NET. It is written in F# and comes with Visual Studio extension including full Intellisense support
- Naked Objects for .NET is an implementation of the naked objects pattern using ASP.NET MVC
- Observer pattern
- Hierarchical model–view–controller
- "MVC Releases". Official Microsoft ASP.NET Site. Retrieved 18 May 2016.
- Rick Anderson. "Intro to ASP.NET MVC 3 (VB)". The Official Microsoft ASP.NET Site. Retrieved 17 January 2015.
- Tom FitzMacken. "ASP.NET 5 Overview". The Official Microsoft ASP.NET Site. Retrieved 17 January 2015.
- Scott Guthrie. "ASP.NET MVC Framework". Archived from the original on 22 October 2007. Retrieved 2007-10-23.
- Scott Guthrie. "ASP.NET mvc 1.0 Source Released". Archived from the original on 3 April 2009. Retrieved 2009-04-02.
- "ASP.NET MVC". aspnet4.com. Retrieved 17 January 2015.
- Scott Guthrie. "ASP.NET MVC, Web API, Razor and Open Source". Archived from the original on 28 March 2012. Retrieved 29 March 2012.
- Scott Hanselman. "ASP.NET MVC 4, ASP.NET Web API and ASP.NET Web Pages v2 (Razor) now all open source with contributions". Archived from the original on 28 March 2012. Retrieved 29 March 2012.
- "Download ASP.NET MVC 1.0 from Official Microsoft Download Center". Microsoft. Retrieved 17 January 2015.
- Phil Haack. "ASP.NET MVC 2 RC Released". Retrieved 17 January 2015.
- Phil Haack. "ASP.NET MVC 2 RC 2 Released". Retrieved 17 January 2015.
- "Download ASP.NET MVC 2 RTM from Official Microsoft Download Center". Microsoft. Retrieved 17 January 2015.
- "ASP.NET MVC 3". The Official Microsoft ASP.NET Site. Retrieved 17 January 2015.
- "ScottGu's Blog - Announcing ASP.NET MVC 3 (Release Candidate 2)". Retrieved 17 January 2015.
- "Download ASP.NET MVC 3 RTM from Official Microsoft Download Center". Microsoft. Retrieved 17 January 2015.
- "ASP.NET". CodePlex. Retrieved 17 January 2015.
- "ASP.NET MVC 4". The Official Microsoft ASP.NET Site. Retrieved 17 January 2015.
- "MSDN Blogs". Microsoft. Retrieved 17 January 2015.
- "MSDN Blogs". Microsoft. Retrieved 17 January 2015.
- "ASP.NET and Web Tools 2012.2 Release Notes". The Official Microsoft ASP.NET Site. Retrieved 17 January 2015.
- Microsoft ASP.NET Team. "ASP.NET and Web Tools for Visual Studio 2013 Release Notes". The Official Microsoft ASP.NET Site. Retrieved 17 January 2015.
- "NuGet Gallery - Microsoft ASP.NET MVC 5.2.2". Retrieved 17 January 2015.
- "aspnet/Mvc". GitHub. Retrieved 30 September 2016.
- "Release 2.0.0 · aspnet/Mvc". Official Microsoft ASP.NET Site. Retrieved 2017-08-29.
- "ScottGu's Blog - Introducing "Razor" – a new view engine for ASP.NET". asp.net.
- "ASP.NET MVC 3". The Official Microsoft ASP.NET Site.
- "Scott Hanselman's ASP.NET MVC Preview 2 Screencast Tutorials". Archived from the original on 2008-10-29. Retrieved 2008-10-13.
- "string-template-view-engine-mvc - ASP.Net MVC ViewEngine for StringTemplate - Google Project Hosting". google.com.
- "Spark View Engine". CodePlex.
- "ndjango - An implementation of the Django Template Language on the .NET platform, using the F# language. - Google Project Hosting". google.com.
- Jon Galloway, Phil Haack, Brad Wilson, and K. Scott Allen, Professional ASP.NET MVC 3, Wrox, 2011, ISBN 1-118-07658-3
- Jeffrey Palermo, Ben Scheirman, Jimmy Bogard, and Eric Hexter, ASP.NET MVC 2 in Action, Manning Publications, 2010, ISBN 1-935182-79-X
- Steven Sanderson, Adam Freeman, Pro ASP.NET MVC 3 Framework, Second Edition, Apress, 2011, ISBN 1-4302-3404-0
- Jonathan McCracken, Test-Drive ASP.NET MVC, Pragmatic Bookshelf, 2010, ISBN 1-934356-53-0
- Stephen Walther, ASP.NET MVC Framework Unleashed, Sam's, 2009, ISBN 0-672-32998-0
- Arnaud Weil, "Learn ASP.NET MVC", 2015, ISBN 1-32648303-X
- Official website
- ASP.NET MVC, Web API, Web Pages source code on Codeplex
- ASP.NET MVC Team Program Manager's Blog
- ASP.NET MVC Deep Dive with Scott Hanselman
- ASP.NET MVC Application Development
- ASP.NET Web Development
- ASP.NET MVC Training
- ASP.NET MVC Training with Project
- ASP.NET Core MVC Training with Project
Commercial and non-commercial projects
- Telerik UI for ASP.NET MVC is a lightweight framework for building rich and responsive ASP.NET MVC user interfaces.
- ASP.NET MVC Project Awesome a rich set of helpers for building interactive Ajax-enabled Web applications.
- ASP.NET MVC SiteMap Provider SiteMapProvider implementation for the ASP.NET MVC framework.
- XSitemap is a free library for simple generation sitemaps.
- ASP.NET MVC Controls Toolkit A complete set of server controls for ASP.NET MVC.
- jQuery ASP.NET MVC Controls A pack of ASP.NET MVC compatible controls based on jQuery and jqGrid.
- Dev Magic Fake A Framework to TDD Test Driven Development and simulate the underline layers of the MVC projects without writing code.
- ASP.NET MVC4 Project An ongoing project to locate Blood Donors using online maps.
- Data Moving Plug-in Advanced controls for ASP.NET MVC built on top of the Mvc Controls toolkit.
- ASP.NET MVC5 Project Open source reddit alternative.
- EFMVC - ASP.NET MVC 3 and Entity Framework 4.1 Code First Demo web app using ASP.NET MVC 3 RTM, Razor, EF Code First and Autofac
- ProDinner - ASP.NET MVC Entity Framework 4 Code First DDD jQuery Sample App shows the usage of DDD, Entity Framework 4 code first and jQuery in ASP.NET MVC, it also has a multi-language UI (using resource files) and a responsive UI
- Mvc Music Store a sample store which sells albums online, demonstrating ASP.NET MVC's productivity features and data access via Entity Framework 4.
- NerdDinner shows the very basics of ASP.NET MVC also the usage of OpenID, Bing Maps, Twitter Integration etc.
- Bing Maps Application in ASP.NET MVC 4 A beginners tutorial on using Bing Mapping in ASP.NET, exploring MVC features to handle mobile and desktop views from a single application - MSDN Article.