This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
AV-Comparatives is an Austrian independent organization that tests and assesses antivirus software, regularly releasing charts and reports that are freely available to the public and the media. Antivirus vendors have to meet various requirements regarding trustworthiness and reliability in order to take part in the tests.
AV-Comparatives issues relevant awards, based on antivirus software's comprehensive performance according to multiple testing criteria. It is also supported by the University of Innsbruck and other academic bodies from around the world, as well as by the Austrian Federal Government and the regional government of Tirol.
Most known test: Real World Protection Test
The AV-Comparatives "Real World Protection Test" is a test environment that closely approximates how well an antivirus product will protect real-world users. Test results are released monthly (from March to June and August to November). Two detailed overall result reports are released in June and December. The Real World Protection Test framework was recognized by the “Standortagentur Tirol” with the 2012 Cluster Award for innovation in computer science.
Latest Test Series
In 2018 AV-Comparatives started with a large scale Enterprise Security Software Test Series, consisting of a Real-World Test, a False Alarm Test, a Malware Protection Test and a Performance Test as well as a review.
Listing of tests and reviews by AV-Comparatives
- Real-World Protection Tests
- File Detection Tests
- Malware Protection Test
- Heuristic / Behaviour Test
- False Alarm Test
- Malware Removal Test
- Anti-Phishing Test
- Parental Control Test
- Mac Security Reviews / Tests
- Mobile Security Review
- Corporate / Enterprise Security Reviews
- PowerShell-based File-less Attacks and File-based Exploits Test
Operating systems used for antivirus tests
AVC UnDroid Analyzer
AV-Comparatives has provided "UnDroid APK Analyzer" as a free service for its website's users since May 2013. Designed for Android smartphone users, it provides a static analysis of Android apps. Users can upload an Android application package (APK) and receive a quick online analysis containing the file hashes, graphical danger level and additional information.
Awards and certifications given to AV-Comparatives
- 2016: EN ISO 9001:2015 for the Scope "Independent Tests of Anti-Virus Software"
- 2015: EICAR trusted IT-security testing lab
- 2013: Constantinus Award in Computer Science, the highest award/certification given by Austrian Government (Chamber of Commerce) for projects in computer science.
- 2012: Austrian eAward
- 2012: Cluster Award 2012
- Rubenking, Neil J. "Antivirus Test: Many Successes, Many False Positives". PC Magazine. Retrieved 18 April 2012.
- "AV-Comparatives About Us". AV-Comparatives. Retrieved 2014-07-17.
- "On-Demand Comparative" (PDF). AV-Comparatives. Retrieved 18 April 2012.
- "AV-Comparatives Funding » AV-Comparatives". Retrieved 2 June 2013.
- Rubenking, Neil J. "Many Security Suites Improve Protection in Real-World Test". PC Magazine.
- "AVC-Online APK Analyser - UnDroid - Frequently Asked Questions". Undroid.av-comparatives.info. Retrieved 2016-11-28.
- "AV-Comparatives - ISO Certificate" (PDF).
- "News 째 EICAR - European Expert Group for IT-Security". Eicar.org. 2015-11-24. Archived from the original on 2016-01-28. Retrieved 2016-11-28.
- "Constantinus Award - Der Award". Constantinus.net. 2016-03-16. Retrieved 2016-11-28.
- "eAward". Award.report.at. Retrieved 2016-11-28.
- "Standortagentur Tirol • News". Zukunftsstiftung.at (in German). Retrieved 2016-11-28.