|AVCon (Adelaide Anime and Video Games Convention)|
AVCon 2013 School Days Logo
|Genre||Anime, Manga and Video Games|
|Venue||Adelaide Convention Centre|
|Attendance||18,500+ as of 2015|
|Organised by||Team AVCon Inc.|
AVCon is an anime and video games convention held in Adelaide, South Australia each year. The convention showcases Japanese Animation and Video Gaming, attendees at the convention partake in events such as cosplay, video game tournaments, anime screenings, anime music videos and more including many vendor stalls.
AVCon is run by the not-for-profit organisation Team AVCon Inc.
Started in 2002, AVCon (then A/V Connection, now commonly known to stand for Anime and Video Games Convention) began as a joint convention supported by volunteers from the University of South Australia’s Adelaide Japanese Animation Society (AJAS) and the Adelaide University Video Gamers Association (AUVGA). After four successful annual conventions, Team AVCon Inc was established as an independent entity to run and sustain the annual convention.
In 2008, owing to continuing growth in attendee numbers, Team AVCon moved the 2009 convention from the University of Adelaide to the Adelaide Convention Centre. This resulted in double the previous year's ticket sales, with an attendance of just over 4,000 people. In 2010 the convention was once again held at the Adelaide Convention Centre with 8,000 attendees, and the numbers increased once more to an attendance of over 14,000 in 2011.
Team AVCon Inc. draws its members from a variety of backgrounds with a common interest in Anime, Manga and/or Video Gaming. Each year a new Elect and Committee are appointed from previous Elect and Committee members and new members.
The Rules of Association of Team AVCon Inc. state that its purpose is:
- 1. to organise and run:
- 2. to promote community interests in Japanese culture and society,
- 3. to encourage the appreciation of anime and other related art forms, which include (but are not limited to) manga, video games, amateur works of written or artistic pursuit.
- "Team AVCon Information". avcon.org.au. Archived from the original on 30 October 2009. Retrieved 2009-11-30.
- "AVCon 2009 Information". AnimeCons.com. Retrieved 2009-11-30.
- Harris, Leigh (21 July 2011). "AVCon to have record year this weekend". MCV. Retrieved 26 July 2011.
- Kelton, Sam (25 July 2011). "Chewie on footpath a comic moment". The Advertiser (Adelaide, South Australia). Retrieved 26 July 2011.
- "Reminder AVCon 2007 Rocks Adelaide This Weekend". Anime News Network. Retrieved 2010-03-18.
- "AVCon". Animecons.com. Retrieved 2010-03-18.
- "Guest announcement: Cassandra Lee". avcon.org.au. Retrieved 2012-05-07.
- "Guest announcement: Crispin Freeman". avcon.org.au. Retrieved 2012-05-15.
|This video game article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|