In mathematics, an AW*-algebra is an algebraic generalization of a W*-algebra. They were introduced by Irving Kaplansky in 1951. As operator algebras, von Neumann algebras, among all C*-algebras, are typically handled using one of two means: they are the dual space of some Banach space, and they are determined to a large extent by their projections. The idea behind AW*-algebras is to forgo the former, topological, condition, and use only the latter, algebraic, condition.
A C*-algebra A is an AW*-algebra if for every subset S of A, the right annihilator
is generated as a left ideal by some projection p of A, and similarly the left annihilator is generated as a right ideal by some projection q:
Hence an AW*-algebra is a C*-algebras that is at the same time a Baer *-ring.
Many results concerning von Neumann algebras carry over to AW*-algebras. For example, AW*-algebras can be classified according to the behavior of their projections, and decompose into types. For another example, normal matrices with entries in an AW*-algebra can always be diagonalized. AW*-algebras also always have polar decomposition.
However, there are also ways in which AW*-algebras behave differently from von Neumann algebras. For example, AW*-algebras of type I can exhibit pathological properties, even though Kaplansky already showed that such algebras with trivial center are automatically von Neumann algebras.
The commutative case
A commutative C*-algebra is an AW*-algebra if and only if its spectrum is a Stonean space. Via Stone duality, commutative AW*-algebras therefore correspond to complete Boolean algebras. The projections of a commutative AW*-algebra form a complete Boolean algebra, and conversely, any complete Boolean algebra is isomorphic to the projections of some commutative AW*-algebra.
- Kaplansky, Irving (1951). "Projections in Banach algebras". Annals of Mathematics. 53 (2): 235–249. doi:10.2307/1969540.
- Berberian, Sterling (1972). Baer *-rings. Springer.
- Heunen, Chris; Reyes, Manuel L. (2013). "Diagonalizing matrices over AW*-algebras". Journal of Functional Analysis. 264 (8): 1873–1898. doi:10.1016/j.jfa.2013.01.022.
- Ara, Pere (1989). "Left and right projections are equivalent in Rickart C*-algebras". Journal of Algebra. 120 (2): 433–448. doi:10.1016/0021-8693(89)90209-3.
- Wright, J. D. Maitland. "AW*-algebra". Springer.
- Ozawa, Masanao (1984). "Nonuniqueness of the cardinality attached to homogeneous AW*-algebras". Proceedings of the American Mathematical Society. 93: 681–684. doi:10.2307/2045544.