|Industry||Aircraft leasing and sales|
Ansett Worldwide Aviation Services (AWAS) or simply Ansett Worldwide is one of the world's largest commercial jet aircraft leasing companies. Its head office is in Dublin, Ireland, and it has offices in Miami, New York City, and Singapore.
It was sold to an affiliate of Morgan Stanley Dean Witter in 2000 for close to USD$600 million. At the time of sale, AWAS had a leasing portfolio of 105 aircraft valued at USD$4 billion, with 47 airlines. The Ansett name was retained as it was instantly recognisable in the global aviation industry. Under Morgan Stanley ownership the company was renamed simply Ansett Worldwide, the Aviation Services being omitted. The Ansett Worldwide fleet was combined with the Morgan Stanley Aircraft Leasing fleet, resulting in a combined fleet size of 180 aircraft by 2003.
In 2004 Ansett Worldwide was rebranded as AWAS. A company media release issued to coincide with the rebranding stated that the company had outlived its association with a failed airline, hence the dropping of the Ansett name. In the industry it was known that some customers had shown a reluctance to deal with Ansett Worldwide, perceiving that the aircraft available were ex-Ansett Airlines aircraft that had been sitting idle since the airline had ceased operations, despite assurances from the lessor that this was not true.
The wetleasing arm was rebranded Australian Worldwide Aviation Services and sold to QANTAS who were at the time leasing two B767 aircraft based in Sydney Australia.
AWAS has its head office in Block B of Riverside IV along Sir John Rogerson's Quay in Dublin, Republic of Ireland. Its Miami office is in One Brickell Square in Downtown Miami. Its New York City office is in Suite 203 of 620 at 444 Madison Avenue. The company has an office in Singapore.
Previously its Dublin location was in the City West Business Campus. It also had a London office in the City of Westminster. At a later point the Dublin office was located in Regus House at Harcout Centre. By 2007 the company opened its new Dublin headquarters, Alexandra House, The Sweepstakes, Ballsbridge. At that time it consolidated its London office into its Dublin headquarters.
- "Our Company." AWAS. Retrieved on 8 August 2011. "Our team of commercial aviation industry professionals serves markets in The Americas, Europe, Middle East, and Asia-Pacific, from our Dublin headquarters and offices in New York, Miami, and Singapore."
- "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 9 November 2005. Retrieved 2016-02-08.
- "Ansett Worldwide Aviation Services.(sale to an affiliate of Morgan Stanley Dean Witter)(Brief Article)(Statistical Data Included)". Air Transport World.[dead link]
- "AWAS ANNOUNCE OPERATIONAL REVIEW FOR 2007." AWAS. 1 February 2008. Retrieved on 8 August 2011.
- "Locations." (Direct link to Flash) AWAS. Retrieved on 8 August 2011. "AWAS, Block B, Riverside IV, Sir John Rogerson's Quay, Dublin 2, Ireland" and "Miami Office AWAS, 801 Brickell Avenue, Suite 800, Miami, Florida, 33131, USA" and "New York Office AWAS 444 Madison Avenue NY NY 10022" and "AWAS, 435 Orchard Road, #10-03 Wisma Atria, Singapore, 238877"
- "Corporate Locations." Ansett Worldwide. 20 October 2001. Retrieved on 8 August 2011. "Dublin Office Ansett Worldwide 3013 Lake Drive City West Business Campus Dublin 24 Ireland" and "London Office Ansett Worldwide 3rd Floor 14 Floral Street London WC2E 9DS United Kingdom" and "Seattle Office Ansett Worldwide 110-110th Avenue NE Suite 410 Bellevue WA 98004 USA"
- "Corporate Locations." Ansett Worldwide. 20 June 2006. Retrieved on 8 August 2011.
- "Corporate Locations." AWAS. 6 April 2007. Retrieved on 8 August 2011.
- "AWAS plane-leasing firm to be sold." The Seattle Times. Tuesday 31 January 2006. Business Digest. Retrieved on 8 August 2011.
- "Corporate Locations." AWAS. 28 July 2007. Retrieved on 8 August 2011.