AXN (Asian TV channel)
|Network||KC Global Media Asia|
|Picture format||1080i HDTV|
(downscaled to 16:9 [480i]] for the SDTV feed)
|Owner||KC Global Media Asia|
|Sister channels||Animax Asia|
ONE TV Asia
GEM TV Asia
|Launched||21 September 1997|
AXN is a action pay television channel owned by Sony Pictures Television and KC Global Media based in Singapore. The network was formerly wholly owned by Sony Pictures Television, but the Asia Pacific, Middle East and Africa channels were sold to KC Global Media in January 2020.
AXN primarily airs shows from the U.S. and U.K. (including selected shows produced/distributed by Sony Pictures Television), with new episodes airing on the same day after their U.S. telecast. The channel also airs original programming specifically made for Southeast Asian viewers, as well as movies from Sony's film studios (Columbia and TriStar) and other Hollywood film studios.
Upon its launch, in the late 1990s and early 21st century, AXN used to broadcast several anime series, many of them in Japanese audio with English subtitles and held annual anime festivals around Southeast Asia. Its anime programming would later be moved to Animax Asia in 2004, the preparations for which Sony had been planning since the late 1990s. In the last quarter of 2010, selected English-dubbed anime programs from Animax Asia were broadcast during mornings and late-afternoon. This feed was then made available in the Philippines only, but was shut down in August 2016 as AXN would focus on its main programming.
- The Amazing Race Asia - a local version of the American reality competition series The Amazing Race; the fifth season premiered in 2016.
- The Apartment
- The Apprentice Asia - premiered in 2013
- Asia's Got Talent - premiered in 2015; second season premiered in 2017; third season to air in late 2018.
- Cash Cab Asia
- The Contender Asia - Muay Thai boxing reality show similar to The Contender; season 1 premiered on January 16, 2008
- The Duke - men's lifestyle magazine talk show; season 1 premiered in 2009
- e-Buzz - entertainment news show, hosted by Jaymee Ong; ongoing
- The Kitchen Musical (was available in Singapore)
- Sony Style - lifestyle and entertainment magazine show sponsored by Sony; seasons 2 & 3 hosted by Oli Pettigrew
- Ultimate Escape - holiday adventure show; the first season aired from October 29, 2007 to November 19, 2007
- AXN Southeast Asia (Panregional feed reaching most countries in the region)
- AXN India
- AXN Japan
- AXN Korea (joint venture with CU Media.Airs Local shows along with international shows)
- AXN Philippines (separated from the SEA feed including local advertisements, and movies)
- AXN Taiwan (Different from Asian Feed)
- AXN Beyond (later known as BeTV; now Sony Channel)
- AXN Beyond Malaysia
- AXN Beyond Pan-regional
- AXN Beyond Philippines
There are two feeds for the channel. One is aimed at viewers in Hong Kong and Thailand only, while the other one is aimed towards the rest of the region. Programming on both feeds are the same, with the exception of local advertisement and promo timings. This is also the case with the Philippine feed, which sometimes modifies its own programming due to broadcast issues.
AXN first launched its high-definition feed in Korea on 1 March 2009 and was later made available in Singapore on StarHub TV on 25 May 2010. In Malaysia, it was launched on 16 June 2010 on Astro. In Thailand it was launched on 12 July 2011 on TrueVisions and in India it was made availave on Videocon D2H on 19 July 2014. It premiered in Sri Lanka on Dialog TV 2013. In the Philippines it was launched on 20 April 2015 on SkyCable, Sky Direct, Cignal and Singtel TV in Singapore.
- Animax Asia
- AXN Beyond (former TV channel)
- BeTV (former TV channel)
- Sony Channel (Asia) (former TV channel known as SET South East Asia)
- Littleton, Cynthia (January 7, 2020). "Sony Pictures Sells Asia Channels to Former Executives Andy Kaplan and George Chien (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Retrieved January 29, 2020.
- Magz Ozbourne (2007-12-01). "AXN - Evolution". Television Asia. Archived from the original on 2009-01-05. Retrieved 2009-09-30.
- Michael Flagg (2000-09-27). "Singapore's AXN Cable Channel Brings Action to Stagnant Market". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 2009-09-30.
- "The Amazing Race Asia is back after six years". The New Paper. 2016-06-02. Retrieved 2017-10-31.
- Donato, Jerry. "Born to play on The Apprentice Asia". philstar.com. Retrieved 2017-10-31.
- "Asia's Got Talent Season 2 premiere topped ratings in Singapore". Asian Television Awards. 2017-10-24. Retrieved 2017-10-31.
- ‘Reality television is here to stay’
- The Duke at Telebisyon.net Archived February 21, 2009, at the Wayback Machine
- e Buzz at Telebisyon.net Archived January 19, 2009, at the Wayback Machine
- Sony Style website Archived March 31, 2009, at the Wayback Machine
- AXN Ultimate Escape Archived October 28, 2007, at the Wayback Machine
- AXN HD in Singapore Archived May 25, 2010, at the Wayback Machine
- AXN HD in Malaysia Archived June 5, 2010, at the Wayback Machine