A Barefoot Dream
|A Barefoot Dream|
|Directed by||Kim Tae-kyun|
|Produced by||Kim Tae-kyun
|Written by||Kim Gwang-hun|
|Music by||Kim Jun-seok|
|Edited by||Shin Min-kyung|
|Box office||US$2 million|
A Barefoot Dream (Hangul: 맨발의 꿈; RR: Maenbalui Kkum) is a 2010 drama film co-production between South Korea and Japan directed by Kim Tae-kyun. It is based on the true story of Kim Shin-hwan, a retired Korean footballer who goes to East Timor after his business fails and launches a youth football team, thus becoming the "Hiddink of Korea." The film was selected as the South Korean entry for the Best Foreign Language Film at the 83rd Academy Awards but it did not make the final shortlist. The film recorded 332,699 admissions during its theatrical run in South Korea.
Kim Won-kang (Park Hee-soon) is a former soccer prospect whose life did not turn out quite as he had hoped. He heads to East Timor, where he thinks there will be plenty of opportunities for him. One day, he sees a group of street kids playing ball with bare feet. Thinking he can score by selling soccer shoes, he opens a sports equipment store, but realizes none of the kids can afford those fancy shoes or jerseys. Again, despaired, he is about to close up the store. Then, he decides to teach the kids how to play ball. Penniless and still without shoes, they decide to compete at the International Youth Soccer Championship in Japan.
- Park Hee-soon as Coach Kim Won-kang
- Ko Chang-seok as Park In-gi
- Francisco Varela as Ramos
- Fernando Pinto as Motavio
- Junior Da Costa as Tua
- Marlina Simoes as Josephine
- Kei Shimizu as Dozyo
- Im Won-hee as Director Poong
- Kim Seo-hyung as Reporter Yu Bo-hyeon
- Cho Jin-woong as James
- List of submissions to the 83rd Academy Awards for Best Foreign Language Film
- List of South Korean submissions for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film
- "A Barefoot Dream (2010)". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved 4 June 2012.
- Lee, Hyo-won (30 June 2010). "Director Kim discovers hope in East Timor". The Korea Times. Retrieved 12 April 2015.
- Lee, Hyo-won (24 June 2010). "Barefoot Dream fuels football fever". The Korea Times. Retrieved 2015-04-12.
- "Lee Young-pyo donates to East Timor football team". The Korea Times. 2 July 2010. Retrieved 2015-04-12.
- Yun, Suh-young (27 February 2012). "2 Barefoot Dream stars to attend college here". The Korea Times. Retrieved 2015-04-12.
- Holdsworth, Nick (7 September 2010). "Three countries join Oscar race". Variety. Retrieved 2015-04-12.
- "9 Foreign Language Films Continue to Oscar Race". Oscars.org. Retrieved 2011-01-19.
- "Theatrical Releases in 2010: Box-Office Admission Results". Koreanfilm.org. Retrieved 2012-06-04.